RAGE is sweet... Why the hate?

rodion.zissou

I bought RAGE last night, and after a of couple texture fixes (config file, and inspector settings), I'm really enjoying it. What do you guys think of the game? I know it was buggy when released and pretty annoying to need manual tweaking to run nicely, those texture seams and visible pop ins nearly ruined it, but I'm enjoying it now. I feel it's easy on normal difficulty, and the story is almost non-existent so far, but it's controls are solid enough, varied gameplay elements and sweet art direction.

2014 - EVGA 780 SC ACX | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | VGA248QE | Fractal Define r4

2015 - EVGA 980 | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X41 | Asus ProArt 1080p IPS | Fractal Define r4

2017 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 6600K | Strix z270e | Trident DDR4 3GHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X42 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair Crystal 460x

2021 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 5600X | Strix B550-F | Trident Neo DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | Dark Power Pro 12 1500W | EK AIO Basic 360 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

2023 - Asus TUF 4090 | 5800X3D | Strix B550-F | Viper DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | RM1000x | h150i 360 Elite LCD | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Meh. Tomb raider and fallout are better.

Diamond 5 in League :)

It's meh, storyline is crappy, poorly optimized for pc. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

No clue why people are comparing it to tomb raider, but to be honest it had some pretty cool content, but I got bored pretty fast after about 2 days of playing. I played that game on the ps3.

I played it on the xbox 360 around it's release. I had one of those friends who bought random games.

It was OK to my mind too. For the first playtrough. I didn't feel like it was interesting enough for a second one.

I did like the city very much though.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Gets kind of boring after a little while, there are just better options out there.

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

Aside from the serious technical issues at launch I think I remember most reviews concluding that it was a mediocre-but-competent game. Just the kind of thing that you can get a lot of enjoyment out of it after picking it up on sale a year or two later, presumably after its gotten whatever patches and driver optimizations its going to get.

I enjoyed it when it was released, although i didn't have any of those "glaring bugs" most people got. So guess i was just lucky.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I knew about the issues upfront so I patched it and tweaked the game before I even played it. I heard the DLC helped it's story but I went through it long before it came out. My biggest complaint was that it was short and the ending was meh, game just kinda..stopped/

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

I bought RAGE last night, and after a of couple texture fixes (config file, and inspector settings), I'm really enjoying it. What do you guys think of the game? I know it was buggy when released and pretty annoying to need manual tweaking to run nicely, those texture seams and visible pop ins nearly ruined it, but I'm enjoying it now. I feel it's easy on normal difficulty, and the story is almost non-existent so far, but it's controls are solid enough, varied gameplay elements and sweet art direction.

I thought it was decent

a little short but not a terrible game in any case

Looking for a job

I finished the game back in August, and I thought it was a decently-made game. The art was a little reminiscent of Borderlands but it still has its own style to it. The textures were kind of weird and it was a pain to get it working and sadly I still haven't got it right. But for the most part the environment was not too shabby, for example Dead City. When I first went there the atmosphere really got me, dead-on Fallout atmosphere. The story was pretty cool too. I actually would like to see a sequel or some sort to it. As for the gameplay, I quite enjoyed it. It's very linear though and while I didn't mind it it might irritate some people who like lots of options. It's a bit of a challenge as well, at least for the first time. You run into these mutants that run all over the place, and they will probably annoy the heck out of you. The only disappointing part was the ending mission, which I thought would have been more epic but it was just you shooting everything that gets in your way. No help, no allies, no bosses, nothing. As for side stuff, there's isn't really much. Well, there were but they weren't very compelling to do. You still got some nice stuff if you did do them but I never felt that I really needed them. Maybe if you played at a harder difficulty you probably need to do them to keep up with the enemies.

I don't think this game is mediocre at all. It's actually worth your time, at least to beat the story. 

I enjoyed it myself, just found it a little short & shallow in the wake of great games of a similar theme such as Fallout 3/New Vegas and Borderlands.

Definitely worth a play-through though, in my opinion.

The textures made my eyes bleed. Nice character models though.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Played it on xbox 360 a couple years back. It was ok. Only played through once. Story was a little short/weak.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Rage could have been great. The mechanics are good. The art style is good. Combat has potential.

Where they fell short is player motivation. Most of the time you don't care enough about what you are doing, you don't care enough about the objectives. You don't have a sense of purpose in the world and the objectives feel random and disconnected from the larger backstory about the asteriod and apocalypse. Which is why Wolfenstein is a better game; you care about the friendly NPCs, you feel like killing the non-friendly NPCs and you feel like what you are doing in the game is for a purpose.

Also I thought Rage is a bit too open-world, they should have made it more linear. It's certainly not a bad game, I played it through right to the end.

Rage could have been great. The mechanics are good. The art style is good. Combat has potential.

Where they fell short is player motivation. Most of the time you don't care enough about what you are doing, you don't care enough about the objectives. You don't have a sense of purpose in the world and the objectives feel random and disconnected from the larger backstory about the asteriod and apocalypse. Which is why Wolfenstein is a better game; you care about the friendly NPCs, you feel like killing the non-friendly NPCs and you feel like what you are doing in the game is for a purpose.

Also I thought Rage is a bit too open-world, they should have made it more linear. It's certainly not a bad game, I played it through right to the end.

How to motivate to play a game: give me stuff to unlock through playing.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

How to motivate to play a game: give me stuff to unlock through playing.

And via the story, if you feel engaged with the story then you want to keep going and uncover more, achieve objectives etc.

e.g. Mass Effect

And via the story, if you feel engaged with the story then you want to keep going and uncover more, achieve objectives etc.

e.g. Mass Effect

Nope. I just want to unlock stuff. I played Mass effect for a bit. But got bored, the story was engaging and all. But I never unlocked anything new.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I got bored very fast and it didnt run that well even on an overpowered PC. Luckily I bought it on a sale, so didnt care much

Nope. I just want to unlock stuff. I played Mass effect for a bit. But got bored, the story was engaging and all. But I never unlocked anything new.

??

It's an RPG.

You level up and get enhanced abilities...

It was fine. It had a huge feeling of "unfinished/end of budget" to it though

The problem with RAGE is that its trying to be an open world FPS (Like Fallout) and Linear at the same time, whilst trying to be a racing game.  It essentially doesn't know what type of game it wants to be.  Sure you can explore, but there's not much off the beaten path. 

'openworld' has become too much of a buzz world in the industry. It can really hurt a game. There's a lot to be gained by having a linear progression ala Wolfenstein, HL2 etc.

Here are some of my screenshots from my Rage playthrough a few months ago.

This is on an R9 290 with the game config files hacked to run beyond max settings. Takes upto 2.3GB VRAM at 1080p running this way. I was also fortunate enough to play it late after all the early technical issues are sorted.

683SM4D.jpg

uoYmJr8.jpg

uAEamM3.jpg

rhRAYjg.jpg

m0Y3OcJ.jpg

mTm0dJW.jpg

WJ7hbc5.jpg

nZiTIyK.jpg

BFByjXx.jpg

zln4h3D.jpg

8Ur89ni.jpg

wR4rvvz.jpg