Linus' consistent failure

filipcro

Do they have a rule to never talk about the noise output or noise cancellation of any of the products??

They fail to mention such properties even with cases, which is one of the main features people look for when selecting cases!

And they don't even mention it!

Ever! With any case!

I'm kinda sick of this consistent omission already.

How are you going to measure, as useful information, something that's different for everyone?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

As stated earlier: "Don't be such a damned pussy, pussy, you a damn pussy".

If the sound of your case fans is enough to drown out 82db, you're doing something wrong. I have 8 fans in my case, 5 of which are pressure optimized fans, all 8 are running at max speed, and it's not even as loud as the fan I leave on at night when I'm sleeping.

So again, "don't be such pussies". They aren't that loud unless you bought shit fans.

Yeah no way fans could be heard over 82 db. I was talking about the cranking up the headphones bit. That's the main danger. People I know don't just crank up their home's stereo systems, but most kids I knew in school would crank up their headphones when walking.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Yeah no way fans could be heard over 82 db. I was talking about the cranking up the headphones bit. That's the main danger. People I know don't just crank up their home's stereo systems, but most kids I knew in school would crank up their headphones when walking.

As do I, and will always. I do crank up my home stereo when I get the chance, parent's dont like it that much though.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Your ears will feel it in a few years...

Just saying. Your ears.

Already got tinitus, don't care.

Lol but what if you wanna use speakers to watch movies?

Turn the volume up. Don't be a pussy. Life lessons.

My teachings can be adapted for most situations. 

doesn't really matter much bro. 

depends on whatever setup you use and how your ears work too.

I have a lot of fans on my main work horse system push/pull on all my radiators. the moment i get irritated by the noise it's simple just turn them down.

Live your life like a dream.

Maybe, just maybe, not every needs something that is whisper quite. And maybe not everyone cares about whether a power supply is putting out 21dB over 20dB. Also he does more general overviews, nothing too specific. 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

It really depends on which types of fans and rpm you're running it. So I don't think they are wrong about their cases reviews.

They cover the important stuff like how easy it is to install your components (mountings / cable managements / radiators options, etc) and about the aesthetics too. Besides they do mention if the products lacks something or what they could have done to improve it. Feedback are important and that's probably the +1 they give you in an enjoyable content.

Would you prefer to read a 10 pages review or enjoy a good video anyway ?

PC1 = i7 4790k  -  Asus Z97 Mark1  -  Corsair Dominator 32GB kit  -  Evga GTX 780Ti SC x2 SLI  -  SSD 512GB x2  -  12TB NAS  -  Carbide Air540  -  24" 120Hz x2 3D ready  -  Corsair K95 + M95
Custom Watercooling loop with low profile radiators / fans

PC2 = i7 4770k  -  Z97 Maximus VII Hero  -  16 GB kit  -  Evga GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  -  Graphite 760T  -  24" VE248 x2  -  Corsair K70RGB + M90 

For those  saying TURN UP THE SOUND!!!, some of us like to sit there comfortably while we work and prefer not having any audible sounds.

For example, my Node 804 was WAY too loud due to being constrained. Switched to the Corsair 780T and that is nearly silent with a H110i, 5960X OCed to 4.4 GHz and a Titan Z.

Thats a nice rig :D

Generally, it's a good idea. But as many users already pointed out, you can't determine the noise correctly due to too many variables.

That's pure nonsense, most users buy default setups for cases, and there is really not much variability in the GPU department too.

Baseline acoustics to mention is a trivial matter.

You call this a failure. I call it most cases are not optimized for noise isolation. Also if they were to mention that every single video I can guarantee you that you would get different results because:

1. LMG will most likely use different fans

2. LMG will most likely use different fan speeds

3. LMG will most likely have different obstructions (or none at all) between the case and themselves when testing

4. The positioning of the case relative to you will most likely differ.\

Edit: 

Also tone down your hostility. Most cases have roughly equal sound suppression except for the silence optimized cases with which they point out that the sound dampening padding inside the case will make it very quiet

what about a worst case scenario? (hehe) like use AMD GPUs cause theyre louder and non quiet optimised fans cause they overclock everything anyways so itll be as loud as possible

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

try tweeting at him instead of posting in the news section, this isn't really news.

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

what about a worst case scenario? (hehe) like use AMD GPUs cause theyre louder and non quiet optimised fans cause they overclock everything anyways so itll be as loud as possible

Even then it's not even close to relevant

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Thats a nice rig :D

Yes it's and I'm jelly.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

We don't donit because in order to test thermal and acoustic performance of a case accurately you need equipment and facilities that we (and most reviewers for that matter) simply don't have.

Most of the numbers you read for this stuff is simply not accurate anyway.

And then there's also the methodology challenge. We'd never come up with a test procedure that will please everyone and give how time consuming it is to test and this is literally the first complaint I've ever seen about it it doesn't seem like most of our audience really cares.

We don't donit because in order to test thermal and acoustic performance of a case accurately you need equipment and facilities that we (and most reviewers for that matter) simply don't have.

And then there's also the methodology challenge. We'd never come up with a test procedure that will please everyone and give how time consuming it is to test and this is literally the first complaint I've ever seen about it it doesn't seem like most of our audience really cares.

The Chosen one has spoken :)

@OT

pretty much this sums it all and I'm sure all those equipment needed ain't gonna be easy on the wallet bro.

Live your life like a dream.

@filipcro

While you do raise a good point, the way you express it was unnecessary, and unprofessional on your part, which results in reactions that you are seeing by the forum users.

I am a person that considers that if a computer is audible beyond a slight noise at idle in a quiet room, I consider that the build is a fail. Well of course, considering the type of the system. A server will obviously not be quiet. But I am talking about standard home computer. So like you, I consider quietness an important factor.

To me, when I buy a case, I buy a case with free fans. And I expect nothing more from than to be anything but noisy, even at low speed. If they are quiet, then good, great! But I never expect that. This is like those that case that comes with a power supply. It is obvious that the included power supply sucks. I replace the fans, and I think all should expect to do that. So, asking Linus to review a case for its noise, is a bit silly. As the fans will most likely be replaced. So the noise level measured by the review is useless. If you are on tight budget and you trying to find a case with quiet or quietest fans, then this is silly as well, because if you are on a tight budget, you'll get noisy 2$ fan in your sub 100$ case. If you have the funds for a nice more expensive case, then you have the funds to spend a couple of extra dollars for quiet fans.

A better suggestion, in my opinion, is that Linus should look at how the computer case is able to handle heat produced by a system. In other words, how is the airflow design of the case? Can it handle operating well with 2-3 case fans, or does it need 20 fans to be able to get the hot air out of the system due to the poor location of fans. Such test needs to be tested with both reference design GPUs with its blower design, which takes fresh air in, and released outside the case, and GPU with alternative heatsink/fan solution as they usually release the hot air inside the case.

Another point in interest to check is what I call "heat bubble" forming. What I mean is: Is there an area that gets hot due to heat is accumulating an area and not being released due to a lack ventilation, due to the poor design of the airflow?

As a person that build a lot of computers, I can personally estimate the airflow of the case, and see if this would be a problem or not. Experience suggest also that. I had a system, where the Ethernet had problems after playing games for a long time. It would not happen if the case were open. What was happening is that the Ethernet controller, I believe, was failing due to high heat in an area. A different case with better airflow fixed this, and I didn't need to increase the number of fans.

To me, I would like to see manufactures invest more in attention to details than on a bit better fans. What I mean is that most cases cheap out on cut process, where the USB ports hole in the case is too large, exposing the USB metal casing of the port.

What I mean is this:

Here a OEM tablet. I use this as this is the best picture I could find, but most cases USB ports, looks exactly like this system USB port:

IMG_0071-Lenovo-Thinkpad-Tablet-USB-host

Notice how it sticks out, and ugly, which can make a nice case, like many of Corsairs look crappy. And it is the case, sadly. I feel ripped-off spending 200$ and having this fancy case, but the USB ports looks like crap like that above port.

Microsoft, Razer laptop, and Apple systems knows how to make a USB port hole. Here is an example:

surface-2-23-980x653.jpg

Notice how you don't see it. It's a USB 3.0, but you don't see it. The cut of the casing of the device is perfect, and the USB port is full black to hide itself. Imagine USB ports like that on your case right now. Don't you think it would be sweet?

Anyway, that is a bit of a sidetrack.

What I want to say is:

You need to understand that a review site can't be best at everything. Some sites are better (have more expertise) in one/some fields than others. And it is important to look at multiple reviews to collect the best information about a product, especially if you are looking for something specific that might be more niche.

And, no, I don't think Linus case reviews are bad, despite not covering what you suggested, or what I pointed out. Why? Because Linus cover points that other reviewers of cases don't, even taught they might cover other points that Linus isn't.

Turn the volume up. Don't be a pussy. Life lessons.

My teachings can be adapted for most situations. 

What if you can't have your speakers turned up to loud cause of neighbors?

*A rare and shiny Linus appears, the player runs away in terror because he has no masterball with which to catch the Linus*

everyone is talking aggressively to the op because he is aggressive

the guys who say op is a pussy seem to me more aggressive than the op himself   

someone said a complain he had from Linus and you are getting mad like they kicked you in the balls 

Do they have a rule to never talk about the noise output or noise cancellation of any of the products??

They fail to mention such properties even with cases, which is one of the main features people look for when selecting cases!

Ever! With any case!

Don't really matter what case you get. If you have fans running at the top max speed/rpm it can go, it will always 100% be noisy.

A couple of ways I keep noise level down is by using headphones, cranking up my speaker or my latest one was, adding a fan controller and using enthoo pro's onboard fan hub. When I am alone in my dorm room, 1601+ OC on both GPU's 4.6 OC on the CPU then have fan controller max out all the fans, Case is now louder than a helicopter, when everyone's sleeping, turn off all OC, crank fan down using fan controller. If you have the pocket though just buy silence optimised fans. But I don't usually use them because they have bad cooling. But its just me  ;)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @4.5Ghz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 | Cooler : Cryorig R1 Ultimate | Ram: 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 2-Way SLi | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo / 4x2TB Caviar Black | PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 | Windows 7 64-bit  | Case: Enthoo Pro | オール・イズ・バニッティー (all is vanity)

If you work hard, you can make your own Luck.

Ever! With any case!

I totally agree with your point, but for the kids around here, Linus is a God, so they will probably 99.99% be against you, because reasons lol. But for that kind of review there others out there on youtube better or less good than Linus that show such thing. Good that you bring this up btw.

As stated earlier: "Don't be such a damned pussy, pussy, you a damn pussy".

"LOSER! YOURE A LOSER!"