Linus' consistent failure

filipcro

Do they have a rule to never talk about the noise output or noise cancellation of any of the products??

They fail to mention such properties even with cases, which is one of the main features people look for when selecting cases!

And they don't even mention it!

Ever! With any case!

I'm kinda sick of this consistent omission already.

Do they have a rule to never talk about the noise output or noise cancellation of any of the products??

They fail to mention such properties even with cases, which is one of the main features people look for when selecting cases!

Ever! With any case!

Ok, calm down

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

A Genuine critisism, but better to bring it up less angrily :)

I do agree they could spend a little time talking about how good a job it does keeping in the noise without going overboard.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

You call this a failure. I call it most cases are not optimized for noise isolation. Also if they were to mention that every single video I can guarantee you that you would get different results because:

1. LMG will most likely use different fans

2. LMG will most likely use different fan speeds

3. LMG will most likely have different obstructions (or none at all) between the case and themselves when testing

4. The positioning of the case relative to you will most likely differ.\

Edit: 

Also tone down your hostility. Most cases have roughly equal sound suppression except for the silence optimized cases with which they point out that the sound dampening padding inside the case will make it very quiet

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

If you're that worried about sound, you need to turn up your damned volume or get a headset.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Ever! With any case!

Noise output? surely that depends on the hardware inside

I could put a completley passively cooled PC inside that gives 0db

and then you might put in 4x gtx 980s and 12 fans and 3 rads. that is like  really loud

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

@slickpc @LinusTech It would be nice to mention noise output

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Noise output? surely that depends on the hardware inside

I could put a completley passively cooled PC inside that gives 0db

and then you might put in 4x gtx 980s and 12 fans and 3 rads. that is like  really loud

This as well. They can say "OH WITH 6 FANS OF THESE FANS AT THIS SPEED IN THIS LOAD WILL MAKE THIS MUCH NOISE!". There are just so many variables that giving a concrete result is just pointless.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

This as well. They can say "OH WITH 6 FANS OF THESE FANS AT THIS SPEED IN THIS LOAD WILL MAKE THIS MUCH NOISE!". There are just so many variables that giving a concrete result is just pointless.

Exactly, the only time its relevant is in a case that is specifically targeted towards silenced

like my define mini is full of sound isolating foam, they could measure the difference between having the foam installed and the foam removed, but honestly it makes no difference

and equally most cases only have like 1 fan pre-installed and we all know what fans sound like.... just seems a really pointless number

if you want a quiet pc buy quiet components, if you dont care, then shove whatever you want inside

I mean a case is a box, inherently it has 0 noise unless you put things inside it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

except when they have a consistent testbench, and can evaluate the cases sound output, relative to other cases ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Wear headphones. Don't be a vagina. Life lessons. 

"Dont be such a pussy, pussy, you a damned pussy"

gimme dat jacket cuz it's mine now.....

Extremely dependent with  what you put inside

The H440 is marketed as a silent case but in reality the stock fans are loud and you can hear the whine of a H100i through the top vent pretty well. 

Don't worry, Linus' oil cooled rig that he's currently building will be plenty silent!

Generally, it's a good idea. But as many users already pointed out, you can't determine the noise correctly due to too many variables.

MSI X99S SLI PLUS  // Intel Core i7-5960X Processor (8 x 3.0 GHz) // Corsair Hydro Series H80i Cooling // 32 GB DDR4 High End Crucial 2133 MHz RAM

2 x 4096 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 //2 x 500 GB SATA III Samsung 840 EVO SSD // 4000 GB SATA III, 7200upm // 1000 Watt Silverstone Strider SS //Creative Sound Blaster Z

Cooler Master Cosmos II Big Tower (ATX)

Generally, it's a good idea. But as many users already pointed out, you can't determine the noise correctly due to too many variables.

Not to mention,

WHO CARES ABOUT SOUND. TURN THE VOLUME UP AND QUIT BEING PUSSIES

Too many variables. Very few cases are silence optimised. Linus did mention in the H440 review that it was not silent at all, despite being marketed as a silent case.

Honestly he DOES mention silence when it is a legit silence optimised case like one from fractal design, then he does talk about noise isolation.

There is no point is saying in every case review "This case is as loud as the fans and components you put in it. There is no noise isolation."

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

For those  saying TURN UP THE SOUND!!!, some of us like to sit there comfortably while we work and prefer not having any audible sounds.

For example, my Node 804 was WAY too loud due to being constrained. Switched to the Corsair 780T and that is nearly silent with a H110i, 5960X OCed to 4.4 GHz and a Titan Z.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

If you're that worried about sound, you need to turn up your damned volume or get a headset.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

I was in charge of safety at a place I worked at and they tasked us with knowing a few things for everyone else. One of them was acceptable audible range. What you just suggested is horrible in so many ways.

Most headphones go up to 102 db but were you aware that (IIRC) the acceptable decibel level for work is 82 db. That means that you can go for 8 hours listening to audio at a maximum decibel level of 82 and not damage your ears. Per day.

Anything above causes sensors in the ear (tiny hair like follicles) to die out. They get pounded or vibrate too much or something. The point is (the easy part I remember) is that you shouldn't listen to things fully cranked up especially for extended periods of time because you'll damage your ears. 82 decibels!

/earsafety.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

I was in charge of safety at a place I worked at and they tasked us with knowing a few things for everyone else. One of them was acceptable audible range. What you just suggested is horrible in so many ways.

Most headphones go up to 102 db but were you aware that (IIRC) the acceptable decibel level for work is 82 db. That means that you can go for 8 hours listening to audio at a maximum decibel level of 82 and not damage your ears. Per day.

Anything above causes sensors in the ear (tiny hair like follicles) to die out. They get pounded or vibrate too much or something. The point is (the easy part I remember) is that you shouldn't listen to things fully cranked up especially for extended periods of time because you'll damage your ears. 82 decibels!

/earsafety.

As stated earlier: "Don't be such a damned pussy, pussy, you a damn pussy".

If the sound of your case fans is enough to drown out 82db, you're doing something wrong. I have 8 fans in my case, 5 of which are pressure optimized fans, all 8 are running at max speed, and it's not even as loud as the fan I leave on at night when I'm sleeping.

So again, "don't be such pussies". They aren't that loud unless you bought shit fans.

For those  saying TURN UP THE SOUND!!!, some of us like to sit there comfortably while we work and prefer not having any audible sounds.

For example, my Node 804 was WAY too loud due to being constrained. Switched to the Corsair 780T and that is nearly silent with a H110i, 5960X OCed to 4.4 GHz and a Titan Z.

Many people tend to forgot here that a PC (even a powerful one) can be used as a workhorse, and while you are playing Battlifield 4 on 3 monitors with 5.1 sound it is ok to crank it up the volume, but while you are doing work on 3 monitors it can be exhausting to listen to a high pitched noise for hours

Wear headphones. Don't be a vagina. Life lessons.

Lol but what if you wanna use speakers to watch movies?

I wouldn’t call it a failure, but if you think it would be an addition to their summary of the products, why then you don’t simply ask nicely for it?
Ask politely and you will get an answer that will more than likely satisfy you.
And if it doesn’t satisfy you, then you will be given a reason as to why it isn’t there already.

As to why they don’t add such information I don’t know.