How many games do you not play because of poor optimization (fps lock, crashes, etc.)

prerunner

Just curious how many people have bought games, but don't play them due to optimization problems. I'm talkimg about fps locks, crashes, buggy, lags, etc. I'm not talking about games that just suck but technical issues that keep you from playing.

For me, off the top of my head.

Need for Speed Rivals (fps lock)

Watch Dogs (still runs like crap)

Dead Rising 3 (runs crappy unlocked and crashes every 10 minutes)

None. I don't support games that are plagued by these development decisions.

In fact, the only game that I currently own that doesn't run well is Empire: Total War, and I still can not figure out why.

Skyrim has some issues, too, however that's my own fault. Not much is left of the core game thanks to NMM.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

watch_dogs runs like poop on my system i never paid for that shitty game anyway

thats probably the only game that interests me that i'm unable to play

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Just curious how many people have bought games, but don't play them due to optimization problems. I'm talkimg about fps locks, crashes, buggy, lags, etc. I'm not talking about games that just suck but technical issues that keep you from playing.

For me, off the top of my head.

Need for Speed Rivals (fps lock)

Watch Dogs (still runs like crap)

Dead Rising 3 (runs crappy unlocked and crashes every 10 minutes)

I agree on the Watch Dogs and Need for Speed Rivals statement.

I love starting up Half Life 2 and playing through with no problems at all. A game that old still work perfect but some games today cant even manage 60FPS.

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

Robocraft crashes a lot. but I still enjoy playing it.

and damn I loved playing wow vanilla even when it had so many bugs.

But 30fps lock without g-sync might make me stop playing a game or not buy it at all.

I don't buy those games to begin with (yes, there are a few exceptions), and the most problematic games that I've played recently are older games where most of that stuff is fixable.

Alice, Madness returns: locked at 30fps, unlocking the framerate screws up the physics. It's still playable (except for one puzzle), just a bit fiddly.

Bioshock 1 and 2: ...... I spent half an hour in config files and changing windows audio settings before Bioshock 1 was playable, 2 wasn't that bad but still really annoying.

Devil May Cry 3: Not as bad as people made it out to be. It just has problems with the Xbox 360 pad (works perfectly fine with my PS4 pad though) and you need to get a custom .exe for the game to run at your monitors resolution. Otherwise it was fine.

Beyong Good and Evil: A few changes in the registry and cryptic settings, didn't take too long and runs fine.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance: Performance issues with the ingame AA, forcing better AA through the drivers works flawlessly.

I did quit BF4 and they bleed pixels for a few months, but both of them fixed the most important issues and are now pretty much playable.

Lego Batman 2.... had to say it. Its the only game I gave up on when it crashed every 5 minutes.

And I use to plat Battle Field 4, but the banding drove me insane

Not many really, watch dogs is one, need for speed has a fix. I have been playing evil within the last few days even though I can unlock the frame rate I havent because the stutter is worse, I have mod fixes from flawless widescreen and fov, it would be unbareable otherwise and I see why it would get bad reviews not modded. It's a great game, it's just a terrible port. Oh and I meant to try FF XIII but that was the worst port I have ever heard of, they didn't even have the decency to let you change resolution. That is completely unacceptable. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

None. I don't support games that are plagued by these development decisions.

In fact, the only game that I currently own that doesn't run well is Empire: Total War, and I still can not figure out why.

Skyrim has some issues, too, however that's my own fault. Not much is left of the core game thanks to NMM.

Most likely that 8350 of yours. RTS games are notorious for being IPC reliant.

DayZ, even my 290 can't push the game past ~45fps at like medium/high settings... Not to mention the infamous "BattleEye initialization failed" error I get like every time there is an update (which isn't that often.)

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

Most likely that 8350 of yours. RTS games are notorious for being IPC reliant.

That's just the thing, though. It ran flawlessly on my 8150, often better than the i5 4670 (non K) that my cousin (who I used to regularly play the game with) runs.

After I fried my 8150, and threw in an 8350, I simply can't get the game to function properly in any facet. I've tried every trick in the book to get it running properly again, too.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

assassins creed black flag, even with my G sync monitor i can't play due to it's stuttering. 

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Watch Dogs

Arma III

COD Ghosts

These are games I have not bothered to install on my system. Based on what I hear I do not feel like paying money for them.

People bash Assasin's Creed Blag flag but it seems to work great and look beautiful maxed on my neighbours R9 280x GPU and FX-8350 CPU. No stuttering. But that's just my experience with it maybe it runs badly on certain hardware...
On this same system I saw COD ghosts running with bad micro-stutter, this on a system which is able to max crysis 3 and Shadows of Mordor smoothly :rolleyes:

well to this answer would be 0.

even if the game sucks in optimization nor has fps lock I just play it go on with the story and move on to a next one.

Live your life like a dream.

I have played some poorly optimised but none we're bad enough to make me stop playing.

However it's made me realise that I should only buy well optimised games. 

Final Fantasy XIII

Watch Dogs

Dead Rising 3

Need for Speed Rivals

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2

I generally don't buy poorly optimized games in the first place. I got Watch Dogs for free, and its performance is terrible, but I think I ignore it more out of a complete lack of interest in the premise and gameplay.

I was looking forward to Lords of the Fallen, but I've heard of widespread technical issues. So I'm waiting it out for now.

Watch Dogs

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

BattleField 4, Origin says I have 11 hours in it, but that must be less than 2 hours of gameplay as I'm only lvl 2 with 7107 XP.

Should not have bought it on release day. And I will definitely not buy Hardline. I'll just go back and play Bad Company 2 - Vietnam instead

I really haven't played any AAA game for years, but for more than just technical reasons. Mainly because they're just plain boring/shit.

Yes they are, deep down inside you know they're focustested, safe bland copies of their previous counterparts. *launches Dark Souls*

Yes they are, deep down inside you know they're focustested, safe bland copies of their previous counterparts. *launches Dark Souls*

first dark souls was completely unplayable for me. after installing curserlock in order for it to run at all with 2 monitors, the fps drops and stuttering were completely unacceptable, not to mention the crashes and all but complete lack of settings.  by far one of the worst ports ive ever seen.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

first dark souls was completely unplayable for me. after installing curserlock in order for it to run at all with 2 monitors, the fps drops and stuttering were completely unacceptable, not to mention the crashes and all but complete lack of settings.  by far one of the worst ports ive ever seen.

Yes, you need DSfix in order to play it, but it was never meant to become a PC port. They just sort of... gave this to the community that couldn't stop asking for it.

But in a way where it was fixable by the community, which happened with dsfix.

Game itself though, one of my favorites. Up there with Metroid Prime and miles apart from modern games.

Yes, you need DSfix in order to play it, but it was never meant to become a PC port. They just sort of... gave this to the community that couldn't stop asking for it.

But in a way where it was fixable by the community, which happened with dsfix.

Game itself though, one of my favorites. Up there with Metroid Prime and miles apart from modern games.

they could have at least put in some effort rather than basically just converting file types. i mean shit, locking the curser to the window wasnt even done. had they spent more than 5 minutes porting it, it could have been at least playable. yes the community would have still fixed everything(one reason i love pc gaming community), but lets be honest, they shouldnt have had to.  and i realize the community was begging hardcore for the game, but a simple tweet saying "hey guys, we're working on it, but if you dont want it to be shit, wait like a week", would have gotten people to chill out.

personally i didnt spend the effort getting dsfix i didnt feel it was worth it. Metroid prime was badass though lol

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

they could have at least put in some effort rather than basically just converting file types. i mean shit, locking the curser to the window wasnt even done. had they spent more than 5 minutes porting it, it could have been at least playable. yes the community would have still fixed everything(one reason i love pc gaming community), but lets be honest, they shouldnt have had to.  and i realize the community was begging hardcore for the game, but a simple tweet saying "hey guys, we're working on it, but if you dont want it to be shit, wait like a week", would have gotten people to chill out.

personally i didnt spend the effort getting dsfix i didnt feel it was worth it. Metroid prime was badass though lol

Well it's one of those cases where it's hard to judge, and does not fall in to the regular pc-port bashing. It's not that they intended it to be ported, or put aside the budget to properly do it. If they'd have sticked to their plan, we wouldn't have had Dark Souls on PC. They basically did the barebone what was needed and shipped it. Though, i'm not sure what the retail price was. If that was still normal retail price you're right, that should've been a working title.

Metroid Prime is my all-time favorite game. Still get them nostalgia feels everytime i play it.