Ubisoft Far Cry 4 Dev Claims Resolution Doesn’t Matter

GriggsCK

2.)Claimed 95% pc gamers pirated their games

well this one should be like 97% in my country at least who use pirated games. the only few other thousands who doesn't either have decent jobs to afford it or have really high paying jobs.

Live your life like a dream.

well this one should be like 97% in my country at least who use pirated games. the only few other thousands who doesn't either have decent jobs to afford it or have really high paying jobs.

Then they won't be buying console games either. This is why the "lost-sale theory" ultimately fails. If someone pirates your game he either had no intention of buying it in the first place or wants to try before buying. Most people pirating are kids with no income, so they would not have bought the game anyway or people that are reluctant to purchase a game because that company has misled them in the past (like EA/Ubisoft). They might, however, give free marketing for saying the game is good to other people. If the game is shit, and it gives you even more bad word-of-mouth, you shouldn't have released the game in the first place. Indies know this, and use youtubers and non-drm platforms if possible to get as much sales as possible.

People firmly believing that discouraging or removing the oppertunity for piracy will increase sales are ultimately non in touch with the real world and have a very poor understanding of social and economical structures.

Steam, even for all it's bullshit lately, is still a more pleasant platform than console UI's and online pass bullshit. And gives a 70% revenue to the dev/publisher for every sale. That is a margin not aquired by retail sale for games. Not to mention it's (better) competitor GoG.com. PC gaming is actually very attractive and has a much more sophisticated audience, for the most part. Developers with some integrity left should find themselves much more akin to the platform, but for some reason get persuaded by the BS from Microsoft and Sony. Really sad.

We’ve decided that 60 FPS is better because it’s twice as much as 30 FPS, or because we think it has something to do with refresh rates, or because we’ve been told it’s better for shooters or racers or fighters for quite nebulous reasons. 

This part is killing me. >.<

MSI X99S SLI PLUS  // Intel Core i7-5960X Processor (8 x 3.0 GHz) // Corsair Hydro Series H80i Cooling // 32 GB DDR4 High End Crucial 2133 MHz RAM

2 x 4096 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 //2 x 500 GB SATA III Samsung 840 EVO SSD // 4000 GB SATA III, 7200upm // 1000 Watt Silverstone Strider SS //Creative Sound Blaster Z

Cooler Master Cosmos II Big Tower (ATX)

Despite all the piracy they claimed to affect sales, pc avenue still surpass console avenue, that said, either pc games are much more popular, or there are just as many console pirate gamers. 

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

Then they won't be buying console games either. This is why the "lost-sale theory" ultimately fails. If someone pirates your game he either had no intention of buying it in the first place or wants to try before buying. Most people pirating are kids with no income, so they would not have bought the game anyway or people that are reluctant to purchase a game because that company has misled them in the past (like EA/Ubisoft). They might, however, give free marketing for saying the game is good to other people. If the game is shit, and it gives you even more bad word-of-mouth, you shouldn't have released the game in the first place. Indies know this, and use youtubers and non-drm platforms if possible to get as much sales as possible.

People firmly believing that discouraging or removing the oppertunity for piracy will increase sales are ultimately non in touch with the real world and have a very poor understanding of social and economical structures.

Steam, even for all it's bullshit lately, is still a more pleasant platform than console UI's and online pass bullshit. And gives a 70% revenue to the dev/publisher for every sale. That is a margin not aquired by retail sale for games. Not to mention it's (better) competitor GoG.com. PC gaming is actually very attractive and has a much more sophisticated audience, for the most part. Developers with some integrity left should find themselves much more akin to the platform, but for some reason get persuaded by the BS from Microsoft and Sony. Really sad.

true to this.

most people here play on internet cafe's and those free to play games. point blank/dragon nest/lol/dota 2 are one of the few examples.

kinda sad that game developers these days just release games that looks good but kinda crippled in some ways.

back then when you buy a game you'd be surprised on how good and ready to play it is already with just a minor tweak here and there to make it better and just release expansions that feels like a totally different game.

Live your life like a dream.

I do feel like a sensible and objective discussion needs to take place. This is getting ridiculous.

Agreed. We've been really hating on Ubisoft a lot lately (and to be fair, some of these comments are insultingly stupid), but so far its sounded like most of their comments have been related to the console versions of their games, which we expect to run at 30 FPS and sub-1080p. Have they actually even confirmed any such thing for their PC ports?

As stupid as the idea that resolution doesn't matter is, I think there's some objective truth to the statement that resolution doesn't really sell [console] games. Console gamers don't seem to care about resolutions and framerates, by and large. And the games media certainly doesn't seem to criticize games for these things, either.

It certainly affects sales on PC when games don't support the common resolutions we expect. Looking at you, Bethesda.

goddammit, I was really looking forward to this game....

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Ubisoft should just release all of their future games in 8bit format like games of yore.

afterall  it's all numbers    ;)

Why are people still talking about this? By now people should realize that they are looking for attention because PC gamers are so vocal about everything. Boycott, ignore and move on.

3x Dell U2414H Triple Monitor Surround @ 5760x1080 / Corsair Obsidian 900D / ASUS ROG Z97 Maximus VII Hero / i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz / 2x EVGA SC GTX 780Ti SLI @ 1150MHz / 16GB GeiL DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz / 120GB Samsung 840 EVO / Corsair AX1200W PSU

Gallery: [1] [2] [3] - Fire Strike Score - Steam Profile

HOLY SHIT this article

"more to gaming than 1080p 60fps"....THIS IS NOT THE FUCKING POINT

Look hardware is getting better, games are getting prettier. but in my mind 1080p 60fps is not what I want its minimum fucking standard! I wont play a PC game that does not run this but thankfully 99% do!

We are supposed to be aiming for 4k, and Virtual Reality, and we barely get a game running at 900p 30fps, something we were doing on the PS3 years ago

here is my favourite line from that article

"To understand why resolution and frame rates don’t matter that much we need to talk about a couple of other things"

:lol:  Yah  this part really got me also. " If Ubisoft delivers on its promises to build the best, more realistic and most of all alive city video gaming has ever seen, than I don’t care if it runs at 720p and locks me to 24 FPS.

If you do, I wonder what it is you want out of gaming – an experience, or a tech demo for your expensive gadgets?"   

" If Ubisoft delivers on its promises to build the best, more realistic and most of all alive city video gaming has ever seen, than I don’t care if it runs at 720p and locks me to 24 FPS. If you do, I wonder what it is you want out of gaming – an experience, or a tech demo for your expensive gadgets?"

This article was written by someone getting payed by either Sony or Microsoft. There is no way you are this mentally challenged, to not understand that higher framerate = less latency. It objectively costs developers more time and money to cram graphics into those toasters than it would cost them to fit them on PC. 

Seriously, the whole article is just a big red herring. 

I had to make this and...inflict it on you guys, sorry:

twdy1p7t.jpg

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Do resolution and graphics mean the world to me? No

But saying that "old/retro games are still fun" as an excuse?

We've been steadily pushing our way forward in terms of hardware and game engine power for a reason. If i'm going to be told that graphics are being forcefully held back there better be a justifiable reason in terms of game play. (cross platform multiplayer is something id gladly let FPS/graphics/controls take a hit for).

I'm going to continue on doubting these announcements, contexts, devs. mental well being, etc. before I take their words to heart though

edit:

read the vg247 AC:U article and basically

"If Ubisoft delivers on its promises to build the best, more realistic and most of all alive city video gaming has ever seen, than I don’t care if it runs at 720p and locks me to 24 FPS."

If it can actually be delivered? I'm all for it

"If Ubisoft delivers on its promises to build the best, more realistic and most of all alive city video gaming has ever seen, than I don’t care if it runs at 720p and locks me to 24 FPS."

If it can actually be delivered? I'm all for it

Resolution and framerate have nothing to do with burden on the developer. They really are just arbitrary numbers that shouldn't even be part of a giant debate but just a standard/default. Thus the whole article is just a giant red herring and has everything to do with Sony and Microsoft trying to sell an inferior product to the market which has the option of buying better. But actually succeeed because of spinless 'jounalists' and gullible customers who will settle for less for no apparent reason other than just not being able to accept they made a mistake by buying into consoles (or getting payed to do it). "PC" has no advocates doing the marketing for them, except a few youtubers and sites like these. Nowhere near as effective. I'm pretty convinced all the controversies the console manufacturers and publishers are creating are just solely for the benefit of dominating media (because shock value works really well these days) and thus indoctrinating the market towards console bias.

A big deal like Microsoft's launch might have caused so much stir that spoonfeeding the idea's they wanted to implement slowly over time will not catch much attention. Because people eventually get tired of the same discussions and start resenting the people perpetuating them and even start playing devil's advocate, much like you're doing with "im ok with subpar framerate and resolution if graphix gud" or people like @Linusinium telling us we need to get over ourselves. Clearing the path clear for Sony/Microsoft/EA/Ubisoft to implement their idea's.

Honestly, it's a really complex matter and not really attributable to one causality. You're dealing with extensive media campaigns, biased journalism, uninformed citizens, business deals between publishers and manuf. And I can't really pinpoint one major culprit.