ASUS ROG Swift Hypothetical Question

Geekazoid

Hi guys,

I just have a hypothetical question regarding the ASUS ROG Swift. With said monitor selling anywhere from $700 - $1,000, depending on where one lives, how much do you think and believe the ASUS ROG Swift would cost without G-Sync?

This is just a curious question of mine and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this guys. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

About $200 less.

Ah, so you're saying that G-Sync costs about $200 to add to any monitor?

Ah, so you're saying that G-Sync costs about $200 to add to any monitor?

its a chip in the monitor from what i know :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Yeah, I already know what it is. I'm curious as to why it can drive up the cost of a monitor so much?

Yeah, I already know what it is. I'm curious as to why it can drive up the cost of a monitor so much?

Because the chip is proprietary/"expensive" 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It is kinda like with Comcast. They pretty much don't have rivals so they can charge just as much as they want. When/If the Freesync monitors come the pricing will change.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

About $200 less.

Because the chip is proprietary/"expensive"

This website seems to answer my question on the cost of G-Sync: http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/NVIDIA-G-Sync-DIY-Kit-ASUS-VG248QE-Monitor-Now-Available-199

It was posted back in January of this year, but I very much doubt the cost has changed that much. ;)

The chip isnt being mass produced yet and only small number of batches are being made

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

About $200 less.

How sparse will the 4k g sync monitor pickings be in the coming days?

Should I hold out or just go for the XB280HK?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

It might cost $200 less to produce but I doubt they'd charge $200 less for a 1440p 144hz monitor that looks this good without G-Sync. I think they'd probably charge $100 less if it didn't have that feature.

Asus Maximus VII GeneIntel i7 4790k @ 4.8 - Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz - Asus Strix GTX980 SLI @ 1400Mhz/8000Mhz - 2x Samsing EVO 840 500GB RAID0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master v1000 - Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear - Genelec 8040a Pair - Audio Technica AT4040 - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift - Asus PB278Q - 2x Bad Asus IPS 1080 Screens - Ducky Shine 3 w/Browns - Corsair m65 - Razer Orbweaver Clicky - Razer Sabertooth

Apple rMBP Late 2013 - Applie retina iPad 2 - Apple iPhone 5 - Apple iPod Classic - XBone - Wii U - Pikachu 3DS XL - Katsukity 3DS XL

its new tech dawg + its extra stuff to add to it, the chip costs money dont ya think?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

its new tech dawg + its extra stuff to add to it, the chip costs money dont ya think?

Right dawg, gotcha! I understand ha bro :P! Of course, they would cost money. This dawg was just curious, yo! :D

Also it's a fully programmable chip instead of being made to do one thing. This adds to the cost as it's a much more complex chip.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Also it's a fully programmable chip instead of being made to do one thing. This adds to the cost as it's a much more complex chip.

Gotcha! Thanks for the info. :D

post-14986-0-23553600-1414654833.jpg

Gotcha! Thanks for the info. :D

I just want to point out that this is incorrect. For the number of units Nvidia is shipping for G-Sync monitors FPGAs (Programmable chips) are going to be far cheaper than getting TSMC or someone else to do a run of silicon.

The custom silicon would cost them millions, the FPGAs maybe hundreds of thousands, i.e. an order of magnitude less.

I just want to point out that this is incorrect. For the number of units Nvidia is shipping for G-Sync monitors FPGAs (Programmable chips) are going to be far cheaper than getting TSMC or someone else to do a run of silicon.

The custom silicon would cost them millions, the FPGAs maybe hundreds of thousands, i.e. an order of magnitude less.

I was taking that from Linus where he was talking about g-sync and free-sync in the last or second last wan show. Plus it make scene that a fully programmable chip would be more expensive than a chip that just has the necessary circuits to run g-sync.

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I was taking that from Linus where he was talking about g-sync and free-sync in the last or second last wan show. Plus it make scene that a fully programmable chip would be more expensive than a chip that just has the necessary circuits to run g-sync.

I work with a company that uses very cheap to very expensive FPGAs and has our own silicon made by TSMC - I'm telling you FPGAs are much, much cheaper.

I work with a company that uses very cheap to very expensive FPGAs and has our own silicon made by TSMC - I'm telling you FPGAs are much, much cheaper.

why is a programmable chip cheaper than a fixed chip?

laptop

why is a programmable chip cheaper than a fixed chip?

A shuttle run with TSMC costs millions of dollars so if Nvidia are only making a small number (a few thousand probably) g-sync chips then this works out to a very high cost per chip to produce.

If they can buy each programmable chip for less than the above cost per chip (which they can in these kinds of quantities) then it works out cheaper.

I also don't know if Nvidia plans to do any kind of updates to the g-sync modules but it potentially allows improved performance without having to buy a new module for your monitor as an added benefit.

A shuttle run with TSMC costs millions of dollars so if Nvidia are only making a small number (a few thousand probably) g-sync chips then this works out to a very high cost per chip to produce.

If they can buy each programmable chip for less than the above cost per chip (which they can in these kinds of quantities) then it works out cheaper.

I also don't know if Nvidia plans to do any kind of updates to the g-sync modules but it potentially allows improved performance without having to buy a new module for your monitor as an added benefit.

Ok i understand that :)

laptop