VPN vs ownCloud

Nem

Im about to set up some network storage here at home but I'd like to be able to access my files from a laptop wherever I go (a la dropbox style). On the NAS, I can set up a few things like ownCloud (or any personally hosted cloud), VPN, SSH, all of which would allow me to access my files, but what exactly is the difference between them? Im mostly confused about cloud vs. vpn

I somewhat I understand the difference between a vpn and a cloud service provided by another company. You can offload your entire data center and have someone host/manage the servers for you and keep access to them running 24/7. This difference disappears when you host your own cloud service on a NAS though

So can anyone help me understand what the difference is, and whether running a VPN or self hosting a cloud on the NAS is better for this use?

Im about to set up some network storage here at home but I'd like to be able to access my files from a laptop wherever I go (a la dropbox style). On the NAS, I can set up a few things like ownCloud (or any personally hosted cloud), VPN, SSH, all of which would allow me to access my files, but what exactly is the difference between them? Im mostly confused about cloud vs. vpn

I somewhat I understand the difference between a vpn and a cloud service provided by another company. You can offload your entire data center and have someone host/manage the servers for you and keep access to them running 24/7. This difference disappears when you host your own cloud service on a NAS though

So can anyone help me understand what the difference is, and whether running a VPN or self hosting a cloud on the NAS is better for this use?

It really depends on the level of encryption that the personal cloud option offers.

The personal cloud storage option will likely be "easier" to use on a daily basis (That's just conjecture though, I'd have to actually see examples). VPN is generally more secure (Though potentially they could use the same level of encryption).

VPN is also more versatile in some ways. It allows access to your entire LAN (or a VLAN, depending on the exact setup), whereas a personal cloud would only give you access to a specific shared "folder" or "drive".

So it depends. Do you need full network resources, or do you just need to share some specific files?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

that makes sense. I think I will go with the vpn option

So presumably I would host a vpn server from the NAS, then I remote devices I just connect to that vpn to gain access

What happens if I want to also set my NAS up as a torrent box and go with some anonymous VPN service (eg. BTguard) to anonymize my traffic? Would my NAS have to connect to its own VPN and my remote devices connect to the VPN server hosted on the NAS? Can you run/connect to 2 VPNs like that?

that makes sense. I think I will go with the vpn option

So presumably I would host a vpn server from the NAS, then I remote devices I just connect to that vpn to gain access

What happens if I want to also set my NAS up as a torrent box and go with some anonymous VPN service (eg. BTguard) to anonymize my traffic? Would my NAS have to connect to its own VPN and my remote devices connect to the VPN server hosted on the NAS? Can you run/connect to 2 VPNs like that?

I've never personally done it, but I believe it is possible. I would let someone else confirm this.

You can host the VPN server anywhere on your network. It doesn't need to be on the NAS specifically (It really depends on whether your NAS supports hosting VPN servers). Ideally, if your router supports hosting a VPN server, then you should do it there.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Owncloud is software that you can run, it's basically self hosted Dropbox.

SSH is Secure Shell and it is used to connect to your machine and execute commands.

A virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network across a public network, such as the Internet.

http://owncloud.org/ is the only thing mentioned on your behalf that manages files with a web interface, and/or desktop and mobile sync clients (like dropbox).

Owncloud is software that you can run, it's basically self hosted Dropbox.

SSH is Secure Shell and it is used to connect to your machine and execute commands.

A virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network across a public network, such as the Internet.

http://owncloud.org/ is the only thing mentioned on your behalf that manages files with a web interface, and/or desktop and mobile sync clients (like dropbox).

but if I have a folder on owncloud, and use an owncloud client on my laptop I'd be able to see the folder (exactly the same as dropbox). Isn't this the same as a vpn though? Where I have a folder on my network set as a share, which once connected to via vpn, my laptop would see the folder? Is there a difference I'm missing?

but if I have a folder on owncloud, and use an owncloud client on my laptop I'd be able to see the folder (exactly the same as dropbox). Isn't this the same as a vpn though? Where I have a folder on my network set as a share, which once connected to via vpn, my laptop would see the folder? Is there a difference I'm missing?

Kinda, but also kinda not.

With a VPN, you will get complete access to your LAN, as if you were physically there. That means any shared printers, shared network drives, Remote Desktop to your personal PC, etc. a VPN is much more powerful then a personal Cloud service.

With OwnCloud, you only get access to the specific "OwnCloud" folders that you setup. OwnCloud will have a nicer user interface though.

When you use a VPN, your traffic is encrypted from client to the VPN server, and then goes out over public network. When multiple clients are connected to that VPN server, they act as if they are on the same LAN together. 

You can make your owncloud files accessible with one of two ways: 

Easy: forward port 80

Hard(er): set up VPN server using your router's subnet/DHCP server.