help on picking a 480mm rad

Go to solution Solved by VSG,

That's np im open to advice, any particular reason?

I already did my research on fans, for me lower rpm is around 1000~1200, mid is about 1500 to 2500 <-- this is where I can start really hearing them(motor noise or tone), high rpm is like those Noctua industrialPPC or Delta fans which clearly were meant to be heard.  For the look, I say GT's and Corsair SP are the winner imo.  

One last noob question, will a 30fpi, 30mm thick rad perform similar to a 15 fpi 60mm thick rad?  If all other variables are the same (fans, fan set-up, size, metal wall thickness, fin folded shape, pipe number and diameter(hopefully didn't miss any))

The 60mm one will just be quieter becuz it doesn't need fan to spin faster.

I'd say even with everything else being the same a 15 FPI 60mm thick rad will be better at low fan speeds in the range you have above, and the 30 FPI 30mm thick rad will be better at the med and high fan speeds.

Just ordered a new chassis from Caselab for my 3rd build under water.

Having a massive amount of space for rads.  and I will need two new rads both 480mm at top and lower chamber.

I plan to run both of them in push-pull with either Corsair SP120 or GT AP-15.

So far the thickest rads I can find is the Alphacool Monsta 480.  

Would anyone recommend a rad that's not Aluminum, perform really well at high CFM through?

Edited: 105mm max thickness for rad

CFM is not the spec you need to pay attention to with rads.  It's the static pressure (mm/H2O) that matters.  That said, which CaseLabs case did you go with?  Can't really give recommendations without knowing how much space you have to work with. 

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

CFM is not the spec you need to pay attention to with rads.  It's the static pressure (mm/H2O) that matters.  That said, which CaseLabs case did you go with?  Can't really give recommendations without knowing how much space you have to work with. 

yes it is... cuz the push-pull config I am going to use and the fans I have.... they have great static pressure... so I am 100% sure I have enough static pressure. 

My fans have enough power to drive air through the rad, and the rest of the question is either how much air at what spinning speed will pass through it to achieve the best performance after all while have the ability to reduce noise.

SMA8 it is 

it fits any rad btw... the thickest I found is 86mm monsta.................... and it fits.  Do you know any thicker than that?  130mm clearance (130-25=105)  As long as its under 105mm I can run push-pull cuz only one side of the fan will be at hindering it, the other side is out of the mounting bracket

Just ordered a new chassis from Caselab for my 3rd build under water.

Having a massive amount of space for rads.  and I will need two new rads both 480mm at top and lower chamber.

I plan to run both of them in push-pull with either Corsair SP120 or GT AP-15.

So far the thickest rads I can find is the Alphacool Monsta 480.  

Would anyone recommend a rad that's not Aluminum, perform really well at high CFM through?

Edited: 105mm max thickness for rad

You're question is a bit unclear? So you're looking for a rad that performs really well with fans at high RPM?

I don't know of any rad thicker than the Monsta's. They're low fpi but because of their thickness they definitely need push/pull.

Alphacool rads are some of the best rads out there).

A good sweet spot in terms of fan rpm to performance is 1400 RPM. Good fans won't be too loud at these rpm levels plus you can probably run em a good bit slower when you're doing push/pull and have a good amount of total rad surface area. You definitely will.

Another rad that's thick and really good in push/pull and/or high RPM is the Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 480. It's not as thick as the Monsta but it has an fpi of 20 vs the Monsta's fpi of 9. It also definitely needs push/pull.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

You're question is a bit unclear? So you're looking for a rad that performs really well with fans at high RPM?

I don't know of any rad thicker than the Monsta's. They're low fpi but because of their thickness they definitely need push/pull.

Alphacool rads are some of the best rads out there).

A good sweet spot in terms of fan rpm to performance is 1400 RPM. Good fans won't be too loud at these rpm levels plus you can probably run em a good bit slower when you're doing push/pull and have a good amount of total rad surface area. You definitely will.

Another rad that's thick and really good in push/pull and/or high RPM is the Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 480. It's not as thick as the Monsta but it has an fpi of 20 vs the Monsta's fpi of 9. It also definitely needs push/pull.

Thank you very much, I will definitely look into GTX480.  20FPI looks great 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sry for unclear statement.

I am looking for a Radiator based on these condition.

1. 480mm 

2. thickness under 105mm

3. unlimited fpi

Reason for 1 is becuz that's how big I want it to be, despite the case supports 560mm

Reason for 2 is becuz I can't fit rad thicker than 105mm in p-p.  Frankly, I yet found a over-86mm Rad.

Reason for 3 is becuz based on the fan and fan config I am going to use (static pressure problem solved), I want to know if there's any rads will perform better than monsta.  

A few things will let a radiator perform better when I have enough power to fight SP based on the conditions I needed.

1. Thicker (increase contact surface)

2. denser fin (increase contact surface)

It hinders airflow cross through radiator, therefore I NEED good static pressure fans.

To mention this, including the fan set-up and fans itself.  I was using it as a reference so whoever seeing this thread can let me know what rad, fans and fan set-up they have, compare to performance.

I saw a very useful thread on Overclock.net, but the OP used a single fan set-up and a NB-ELOOP B12-4

For me, like you said, most fans exceed 1400rpm will result noises that I can hear.  I do have a fan controller, so if there's a Radiator that at least needs the corsair SP120 PE running push-pull to over 1400 rpm,  I'd be surprised, but if you really think there's one, please let me know.

awww been eyeing out the sma8 QQ

you don't need any other reason if you want a 480mm rad to fit on that sexy mother of a case.

well for me I have a xspc ex480 I'm using right now and should be fine for you. but I'm eyeing out on the alphacool mosta something 60mm thick rad when I get a magnum sma8. not sure yet if it will fit.

Live your life like a dream.

awww been eyeing out the sma8 QQ

you don't need any other reason if you want a 480mm rad to fit on that sexy mother of a case.

well for me I have a xspc ex480 I'm using right now and should be fine for you. but I'm eyeing out on the alphacool mosta something 60mm thick rad when I get a magnum sma8. not sure yet if it will fit.

Cool, I was thinking the XSPC RX480 V3 on top so it looks better.  Too thick/thin at top just doesn't look good to me.  But in the 45~55mm bracket there's just too many rads to pick.  And like the Black Ice gtx480 is really winning me over.

Mind to give me more info regarding your rad? fans? push/pull? rpm? look? noise?

Cool, I was thinking the XSPC RX480 V3 on top so it looks better.  Too thick/thin at top just doesn't look good to me.  But in the 45~55mm bracket there's just too many rads to pick.  And like the Black Ice gtx480 is really winning me over.

Mind to give me more info regarding your rad? fans? push/pull? rpm? look? noise?

well my water cooling configuration is not really recommended :) and are octupus cables everywhere with no back side panel :) kinda in other words a really waste of money with 0 benefit at all besides self satisfaction I feel.

fans are mix and match, the ones I want to control are noctua nf-f12, and the ones which I just leave at 12v running are the silverstone ap121's all are in push/pull. noise wise they aren't that noisy at all even with open back headphones since my small house fan is much more moisy at speed 1.

the rads I'm using are the ex480 rads (quite a lot of this on a single rig >.<), a single ex360, a single rs240, all from xspc and a single xt 280 from alpha cool.

back then when I was using a single 480mm rad with just pull config on 4 silverstone ap121 they were actually silent inside a 900D at 12v and the house fan at speed 1 is even much more noisy and so does the air con. although the fans the ap123 are the newer ones if I recall right now. noctua got their industrial fans with like black/brown color which can easily be hidden if you go with black theme rig.

overall look.

the one you can see on the window is good but the one behind it where you're supposed to do cable management has no cable management and just has cables sticking out since I have external radiators I stuck to the table and pumps and the reservoirs.

the ex480 rads are something in between the rs and rx radiators from xspc you can easily use a mid speed rpm fan 700 ish or so and still work since when I tried to do a push config with the ap121's I can feel the air being pushed.

for rad and fan configurations.

on a 480mm rad I use a 2 ap121's in push/pull on the 1st fan slot and use 6 nf-f12's in push/pull on the other 3 slots for the one outside the case.

for the ones inside the case I use ap121's in all slots in push/pull running at 5v (this is why I like the ap121's cause they got this molex connector and just plug them there and forget).

480mm, 360mm, 240mm. the 280mm rad however is using gentle typhoons these guys are freaking silent at that speed.

well my water cooling configuration is not really recommended :) and are octupus cables everywhere with no back side panel :) kinda in other words a really waste of money with 0 benefit at all besides self satisfaction I feel.

fans are mix and match, the ones I want to control are noctua nf-f12, and the ones which I just leave at 12v running are the silverstone ap121's all are in push/pull. noise wise they aren't that noisy at all even with open back headphones since my small house fan is much more moisy at speed 1.

the rads I'm using are the ex480 rads (quite a lot of this on a single rig >.<), a single ex360, a single rs240, all from xspc and a single xt 280 from alpha cool.

back then when I was using a single 480mm rad with just pull config on 4 silverstone ap121 they were actually silent inside a 900D at 12v and the house fan at speed 1 is even much more noisy and so does the air con. although the fans the ap123 are the newer ones if I recall right now. noctua got their industrial fans with like black/brown color which can easily be hidden if you go with black theme rig.

overall look.

the one you can see on the window is good but the one behind it where you're supposed to do cable management has no cable management and just has cables sticking out since I have external radiators I stuck to the table and pumps and the reservoirs.

the ex480 rads are something in between the rs and rx radiators from xspc you can easily use a mid speed rpm fan 700 ish or so and still work since when I tried to do a push config with the ap121's I can feel the air being pushed.

for rad and fan configurations.

on a 480mm rad I use a 2 ap121's in push/pull on the 1st fan slot and use 6 nf-f12's in push/pull on the other 3 slots for the one outside the case.

for the ones inside the case I use ap121's in all slots in push/pull running at 5v (this is why I like the ap121's cause they got this molex connector and just plug them there and forget).

480mm, 360mm, 240mm. the 280mm rad however is using gentle typhoons these guys are freaking silent at that speed.

Thx for the info, I guess I will mix fans on my rads and speed control them.  I won't bother with fans at 1200rmp noise level.  

I think I will take monsta for the lower chamber, and then choose between Hardwarelab Black Ice GTX480 or XSPC RX480

EX series is a bit too thin to me.

Thank you for the insight.

Thx for the info, I guess I will mix fans on my rads and speed control them.  I won't bother with fans at 1200rmp noise level.  

I think I will take monsta for the lower chamber, and then choose between Hardwarelab Black Ice GTX480 or XSPC RX480

EX series is a bit too thin to me.

Thank you for the insight.

the black ice is also a great rad. 

I would have gotten them if they weren't at the price of 2 monsta from alphacool crazy but only seen one guy selling those. locally at least.

I am the guy who did the quad rad roundup on OCN (also in here). For pure performance, the Gen 2 Black Ice GTX with fast fans will still reign supreme over all the rads tested so far. But the noise isn't worth it imo, I would get a Nemesis 480GTX and go push-pull with eloops or GT AP15s as you wanted to. I will be doing a push vs pull vs push-pull test also, but not immediately.

Rad dimensions aren't everything.

I am the guy who did the quad rad roundup on OCN (also in here). For pure performance, the Gen 2 Black Ice GTX with fast fans will still reign supreme over all the rads tested so far. But the noise isn't worth it imo, I would get a Nemesis 480GTX and go push-pull with eloops or GT AP15s as you wanted to. I will be doing a push vs pull vs push-pull test also, but not immediately.

Rad dimensions aren't everything.

Thanks, that's why I created this thread.  Wasn't sure about if thickness is the priority.

Is there any alternative or similar to Nemesis 480 GTX  radiator??

I have to say I don't like how Nemesis looks.

Can't wait to see your test as my chassis needs at least another 2 weeks.

usually any thickness from 30mm to 80mm are fully functional.

seems some compros lean a bit to the 45mm as the space saver, 60mm for

spacious cases and monsta for epeen. they all will do within 8° at 1600 rpm,

just when you start lowering the fan speed the separation starts to widen.

using the ally counterparts is a cheaper way to circumvent the copper radiators,

but system maintenance will be crucial. as galvanic corrosion can set in without

monitoring. using corrosion inhibitors is nice, but not the end-all when mixing

metals in a closed system. only advantages in the ally use is weight and cost.

for simple single fan usage, upto a loose fin-per-inch on 60mm 800 rpm is

quiet and thermal performance is not compromised. even upto 1200 rpm still

maintains some level of quietness and great thermal control. 

Thanks, that's why I created this thread.  Wasn't sure about if thickness is the priority.

Is there any alternative or similar to Nemesis 480 GTX  radiator??

I have to say I don't like how Nemesis looks.

Can't wait to see your test as my chassis needs at least another 2 weeks.

Are you set with the AP-15 for fans? If so, the eloops (I used several different ones, not just the B12-4) will be similar to them so you can approximate my results closer than most people. Just look at the fan speeds you want to operate at and decide accordingly. Note that the Alphacool XT45 and UT60 will be better than the Monsta at low-med RPM and I have a Mayhems Havoc on the way soon too. But the push-pull test won't be anytime soon, and even so not on all the rads either.

If looks are a deal breaker for the Nemesis, then you can get them in a matte finish from a European retailer. Talk to @B NEGATIVE and see what he can do.

Hullo?

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Are you set with the AP-15 for fans? If so, the eloops (I used several different ones, not just the B12-4) will be similar to them so you can approximate my results closer than most people. Just look at the fan speeds you want to operate at and decide accordingly. Note that the Alphacool XT45 and UT60 will be better than the Monsta at low-med RPM and I have a Mayhems Havoc on the way soon too. But the push-pull test won't be anytime soon, and even so not on all the rads either.

If looks are a deal breaker for the Nemesis, then you can get them in a matte finish from a European retailer. Talk to @B NEGATIVE and see what he can do.

Wow thx, will do soon.  I have ap15/14/13, sp120, b12-3, so I guess they all provide similar performance at lower speed. But I will still need more since in total there's 20 fans.  Will more likely getting AP-15 from cooler guys afterwards  They got OEM version of AP-15.

PMed

Wow thx, will do soon.  I have ap15/14/13, sp120, b12-3, so I guess they all provide similar performance at lower speed. But I will still need more since in total there's 20 fans.  Will more likely getting AP-15 from cooler guys afterwards  They got OEM version of AP-15.

PMed

If you are going to be running the fans at 1000 rpm or lower, pretty much all the fans will perform and sound similarly within margin of error as well. So choose the fans based on other things- price, accessories, looks etc.

I was too lazy to read the post :P but I highly advise you get the Phoyba G-Changer 480mm Radiator.

signatures are the illuminati #mkultragotcha

I was too lazy to read the post :P but I highly advise you get the Phoyba G-Changer 480mm Radiator.

If you are going to be running the fans at 1000 rpm or lower, pretty much all the fans will perform and sound similarly within margin of error as well. So choose the fans based on other things- price, accessories, looks etc.

I already did my research on fans, for me lower rpm is around 1000~1200, mid is about 1500 to 2500 <-- this is where I can start really hearing them(motor noise or tone), high rpm is like those Noctua industrialPPC or Delta fans which clearly were meant to be heard.  For the look, I say GT's and Corsair SP are the winner imo.  

One last noob question, will a 30fpi, 30mm thick rad perform similar to a 15 fpi 60mm thick rad?  If all other variables are the same (fans, fan set-up, size, metal wall thickness, fin folded shape, pipe number and diameter(hopefully didn't miss any))

I'd say even with everything else being the same a 15 FPI 60mm thick rad will be better at low fan speeds in the range you have above, and the 30 FPI 30mm thick rad will be better at the med and high fan speeds.

Thanks for all the help, I haven't heard from B Negative yet but I think it's either gonna be Nemesis or Gen2 with what I am using now the PE 360 from EK for my CPU loop.

GPU will probably be a Bitspower 480mm Rad 62mm, 9fpi(I am a BP fan boy), if I can get them anyhow since they only released in Taiwan atm I believe.