I have some concerns/questions.

Firefly969

I looking to get a new GPU soon and i was looking at the GTX 980 which is like a kind a unlikely thing but i heard this was like the best GPU out right now. I was also looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202080&cm_re=r9_290-_-14-202-080-_-Product which would be better cause i would need to upgrade my PSU and with this it wouldn't be as hard to spend the $70ish extra dollars. i was wondering if i could save up for the 980 and not upgrade my psu at all or not for a while. right now i have a 420w PSU. 

I thinks that all, but if you have any suggestions for $300 and below they would be greatly appreciated.

Also at this point in time im not doing any hardcore gaming just things like payday 2, gmod, the very rare minecraft for like 10 mins(lol). but im kinda playing on getting into more things like BF and stuff but yea.

thanks.

Also if you need anymore info on my current system ill do my best to give you everything(telling me where i could find the info would help).

if you want or need a gpu right now get a way cheaper r290 or just a n970, but if you can wait 2 months or so, maybe the n990 will drop in price and buy that. I would suggest you to wait a bit more. 

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

You'll definitely need around a 550 watt PSU with the 980

You could go with a 970 to save some money and go for a new PSU

Really ?? My pc runs fine with 500watt

2x ssd

6 fans

1x fan controller

16gb ram

980 MSI Gaming

He did say around...

Firefly969 I too would seriously consider a GTX 970. Also what does the rest of your system consist of? If you are running a excellent quality psu IMO 420watts may be enough for a 970 + rest of your rig.

He did say around...

Firefly969 I too would seriously consider a GTX 970. Also what does the rest of your system consist of? If you are running a excellent quality psu IMO 420watts may be enough for a 970 + rest of your rig.

I have 2x4 1600mhz ram, i5-4430 quad 3.0ghz cpu, 1tb idk rpm storage radeon hd 7570 gpu, anything else just ask and ill try to find out.

I have 2x4 1600mhz ram, i5-4430 quad 3.0ghz cpu, 1tb idk rpm storage radeon hd 7570 gpu, anything else just ask and ill try to find out.

What is the make and model of your Power Supply?

i was thinking maybe he could wait for a 960.....  whenever they come out.....  as long as its not another 680 rebrand i guess

remember it takes 2 seconds to google it yourself......

my rig (close anyway, couldnt find my qnix 1440p moniter or my msi z77 g45a matx mobo)   http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LzzqwP

What is the make and model of your Power Supply?

no clue but seeing as its a rebuild pc its probably the cheapest thing possible

if you got a money for a 980 and a psu go for it. if not then a 970 and a psu.

well we have no information about your psu if you can take a look at the sticker it has and post it here that would be great.

it could be a decent psu but it could just be some of those cheapo psu then we won't recommend even the 980. we'd probably recommend another 500w-660w decent psu more than a 980 then slap in a 970 or 980 in the next payday and you're good to go.

Live your life like a dream.

no clue but seeing as its a rebuild pc its probably the cheapest thing possible

You can't look in the case and find out? The reason I ask is because a modest system like yours with a 970 will probably not use much more that 300 watts (total system draw). With a reasonable 420 watt PSU you could probably forgo buying a new PSU for sometime. 

Unusual "420W" PSU, Radeon HD 7570, "1TB IDK RPM HDD".... all signs of a prebuilt computer (I.e DELL, HP, Acer, etc).

The power supply is not going ng tube be anything great. Get even that the OEM-only HD 7570 doesn't even require any PCI-E power can connections, I don't think the PSU will supply any.

If you can't open up the case to look at the power supply (Which you WILL need to do anyways when you put in your new graphics card), can you give us the Make and Model of your computer?

I.e. HP Pavilion SX1330-11X

Acer Aspire M1100

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

If you want to save maybe $30-70 more you can buy a top of the line GTX 970, otherwise for $300 or less you could get a 2GB 770 or a 4GB 760, which either will play most of the games you were talking about at high-ultra 1080p 60fps. I have a 2GB 760 and can get 1080p 60fps on high-ultra no problem, but if you do want more of a future proof investment, go with the 970. If you plan to play upcoming Ubisoft games, definitely go with the 970.

Unusual "420W" PSU, Radeon HD 7570, "1TB IDK RPM HDD".... all signs of a prebuilt computer (I.e DELL, HP, Acer, etc).

The power supply is not going ng tube be anything great. Get even that the OEM-only HD 7570 doesn't even require any PCI-E power can connections, I don't think the PSU will supply any.

If you can't open up the case to look at the power supply (Which you WILL need to do anyways when you put in your new graphics card), can you give us the Make and Model of your computer?

I.e. HP Pavilion SX1330-11X

Acer Aspire M1100

i said it was prebuild.

xps 8700(mid 2013).

ill open my case later today or maybe inn bit, im doing a lot right now and i dont wanna close everything atm

You can't look in the case and find out? The reason I ask is because a modest system like yours with a 970 will probably not use much more that 300 watts (total system draw). With a reasonable 420 watt PSU you could probably forgo buying a new PSU for sometime. 

i didnt feel like closing all the stuff i had open and unplugging everything, it  was kinda late.

what do you need off my psu

I looking to get a new GPU soon and i was looking at the GTX 980 which is like a kind a unlikely thing but i heard this was like the best GPU out right now. I was also looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202080&cm_re=r9_290-_-14-202-080-_-Product which would be better cause i would need to upgrade my PSU and with this it wouldn't be as hard to spend the $70ish extra dollars. i was wondering if i could save up for the 980 and not upgrade my psu at all or not for a while. right now i have a 420w PSU. 

I thinks that all, but if you have any suggestions for $300 and below they would be greatly appreciated.

Also at this point in time im not doing any hardcore gaming just things like payday 2, gmod, the very rare minecraft for like 10 mins(lol). but im kinda playing on getting into more things like BF and stuff but yea.

thanks.

You'll definitely need around a 550 watt PSU with the 980

You could go with a 970 to save some money and go for a new PSU

2x ssd

6 fans

1x fan controller

16gb ram

980 MSI Gaming

don't listen to these PSU lies...

my ENTIRE SYSTEM pulls:

330 watts from the wall with a gtx980 G1 gaming overclocked to its limits (over 1.5ghz @ 1.256v) whilst running benchmarks

280 watts from the wall with gtx980 G1 gaming stock overclock

specs are in my sig

I would suggest you consider a gtx970

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Make and model. ie Corsair HX620 or Delta Electronics ________ ???

I think you have a 460Watt PSU made by Delta Electronics. You would have to check to be sure. Like I already stated I would look to see what the make and model is as well as the rated 12V amperage

Make and model. ie Corsair HX620 or Delta Electronics ________ ???

I think you have a 460Watt PSU made by Delta Electronics. You would have to check to be sure. Like I already stated I would look to see what the make and model is as well as the rated 12V amperage

http://prntscr.com/5163ox

lol nice. I can see why you took a pic and posted it. That PSU gives little to go by. 460watt janer. If it is of decent quality I would leave it in there and add a gtx970. Does that psu have two 6 pin PCIe connectors?? If not I would I be compelled to buy a different PSU... ;/

don't listen to these PSU lies...

my ENTIRE SYSTEM pulls:

330 watts from the wall with a gtx980 G1 gaming overclocked to its limits (over 1.5ghz @ 1.256v) whilst running benchmarks

280 watts from the wall with gtx980 G1 gaming stock overclock

specs are in my sig

I would suggest you consider a gtx970

my system pulls 400 watts with a 660 Ti, 450 when I push everything to the limits.

total system power it about more than just GPU and many cheap 400 watt Power Supplies people might already have tend to have multiple tiny or a single weak 12V rails if they are from the age where most of the power consumption was on the 5V and 3.3V rails. 

if a system had 400 watts on a single 12V rail(35 ish amps) I'd say it's enough for a 970 or 980 if your system is low power. but if you have multiple 12V rails you have to be careful not to overload any of the rails.

lol nice. I can see why you took a pic and posted it. That PSU gives little to go by. 460watt janer. If it is of decent quality I would leave it in there and add a gtx970. Does that psu have two 6 pin PCIe connectors?? If not I would I be compelled to buy a different PSU... ;/

not sure, ir not is there an adapter or something i can add or is it i have to buy a new psu becuase of 1 cord. ill open my pc again tomorrow its late and i dont feel like moving my desk again.

If your PSU only has one 6 pin PCIe power cable  than you will need to use a molex to PCIe adapter. Because we do not know where your PSU has allocated its amperage I would be more concerned about using such an adapter.