Audio Technica Ath-m50x vs HyperX Cloud Headset

So what do you think?

Getting the HyperX Cloud will cost me about $130-140 aud (australian dollars)

The Audio Technica m50x (the newer improved model) will cost me about $200 for it plus including the modmic 4.0. (oops spelling mistake)

Apart from the price, m50x is everything I want.

It's portable, looks nice and also the modmic 4.0 sounds better than the HyperX Cloud.

I'm going to be using this for gaming, listening to music, youtube, tv shows and movies.

Thanks in advance.

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

You kinda answered your own question there bud.

AT M50x with a Modmic 4.0 will be better.

It will also be more expensive. The choice is yours. Considering you'll keep this setup for a while, I'd recommend spending extra for better.

If you have the money, go for the ATH-M50x + ModMic, otherwise, go for the HyperX Cloud :)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

The mic isn't that great on the Clouds. I use my Zalman modmic whenever I use the Clouds because of that.

I would also look at other headphones other than the M50x's unless you can get them for half that price. That's way too much.

The mic isn't that great on the Clouds. I use my Zalman modmic whenever I use the Clouds because of that.

I would also look at other headphones other than the M50x's unless you can get them for half that price. That's way too much.

Oops soz spelling error, it's $200 including the modmic for me.

I can get it off massdrop for $120 + $20 postage and $50 for the modmic + $10 postage.

Do you think it's still worth it? Are there any other headphones apart from these two that I should consider? (been looking at the Creative Aurvana Live 2 recently)

Thanks, bai!

Oops soz spelling error, it's $200 including the modmic for me.

I can get it off massdrop for $120 + $20 postage and $50 for the modmic + $10 postage.

Do you think it's still worth it? Are there any other headphones apart from these two that I should consider? (been looking at the Creative Aurvana Live 2 recently)

It's worth it. The ModMic 4.0 trumps the Clouds built in mic by a lot and it can be removed thus making it less "gamer" looking when you go outside.

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K  | Motherboard Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark 1 | RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866mhz | GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 980 w/ ACX 2.0 | Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window | Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB |  PSU Corsiar RM750 | Display(s) Some Acer Things | Cooling Corsair H100i + 5x Noctua NF-F12 industrial 120mm fans(they are freaking load) | Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 |  Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound Audio-Technica AD900x + 02+ODAC +AT2020 | OS Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 

I have the m50x and love it. I prefer it to a headset because you can wear it anywhere. Technically you could wear both at work/school/gym, but the idea of wearing a headset with a mic is offputting to me. I actually bring my m50x to work and use it there more than at home. MKBHD did a review of them and basically praised them as the best sub $200 headphones. I will admit that HyperX headset is a better value, but if the m50x is an option (which it is) i would get it. 

I will say it again for the sake of talking to myself, but M40x is a better value because it sounds identical and does everything the M50x does for what the M50x should cost.

I will say it again for the sake of talking to myself, but M40x is a better value because it sounds identical and does everything the M50x does for what the M50x should cost.

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll go with the m50x since it looks better and cause I can get it for about the same price when it goes on sale on massdrop, it usually reappears every now and then (usually selling out within a day :/) at $120 plus postage.

Thanks, bai!

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll go with the m50x since it looks better and cause I can get it for about the same price when it goes on sale on massdrop, it usually reappears every now and then (usually selling out within a day :/) at $120 plus postage.

$20 more for an extra plastic silver ring, I can dig. 

M50 will have better sound

Modmic have better mic

So I'll go with that option

Kingston hyper x cloud is for people who are sick of shity headsets but still wants one

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

It does look like your mind is made up. Since the price of the Clouds is so high for you I would go with the m50x's, but I do have some feedback for you.

The stock pads on the clouds are muuuuch more comfortable, and the build feels more premium than the m50x.

I also would not really suggest the m50x's for gaming as there is not really any soundstage, but they would be a good all-around headphone (just remember that they are monitor headphones, so they will not really be that "fun" sounding). 

Lastly, the foldability of them makes them slightly annoying to me since the cans can easily become wonky. 

These all are my opinions, so take that with a grain of salt, except for the ear pads. The ear pads on the m50x's suck.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Beyerdynamic dt770s

I would like to get something some other options such as the dt880s ,phillips fidelio x1 or x2 as they're basically exactly what I want but I'm only expecting to sell my astro a40 + mixamp 2013 for about $150-200 and even $300 for me is out of my range (cause I'm probs gonna get that $200 m50x+modmic 4 combo + a $100 mixer cause I really use that feature heaps on the a40s)

Thanks, bai!

Those 2 don't have a drastic difference in sound. If mic quality is important for you then go with the Audio Technicas but if not, go for the HyperX. There are better things but people really love to jump on the M50 band wagon...

• 1 month later...

These are the same 2 I am debating on. Ppl say go with the seinn 598s or whatever but the dont look very appealing. Im looking for solely gaming purposes. Cant decide ugh. Im guessing theres no real stores to try them.

These are the same 2 I am debating on. Ppl say go with the seinn 598s or whatever but the dont look very appealing. Im looking for solely gaming purposes. Cant decide ugh. Im guessing theres no real stores to try them.

Well I got the m50x and love them, although a little eq does make these sound a little better.

However, if you're using a pair of headphones for solely gaming purposes go ahead and buy the audio technica ad700 or ad700x (ad700x looks better but has apparently worse build quality, same sound though).

These headphones have the best sound-stage (locating things with your ears) in their price-range and might be the best under $1000. Most people don't get these because they have an open design, meaning much of the audio gets leaked to the outside world, and because these headphones are quite lacking in bass however both of these help with the soundstage.

Thanks, bai!

lol, 10/10 this thread, would read again.

Literally a taint tickler. 

• 3 weeks later...

You are about three months late..

lol sorry didn't check the date, my bad

lol sorry didn't check the date, my bad

Most of a month late...

I take my M30x outside (Despite the long wire xD), I just leave my M50s at my studio because I am afraid I will drop and ruin them.

Haha, the m50s are built like a rock (for headphones) but they scratch easy enough... Cable kinda broke and I wanted to see if they were as durable as people say they are... I may have threw them at a wall...

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K  | Motherboard Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark 1 | RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866mhz | GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 980 w/ ACX 2.0 | Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window | Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB |  PSU Corsiar RM750 | Display(s) Some Acer Things | Cooling Corsair H100i + 5x Noctua NF-F12 industrial 120mm fans(they are freaking load) | Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 |  Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound Audio-Technica AD900x + 02+ODAC +AT2020 | OS Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 

Most of a month late...

It's never too late to enter the echo chamber.