New case wanted - I maybe too fussy!

typod

I have been after a new case for a while now.  I currently have a Lian-Li which I really love but it's probably 8 years old and to be honest it's falling apart.  My wife had to hold it together with tape.  The problem is I have a set of things I would like in a case and non of the ones I can find seem to fit all the requirements.  I admit that I may be too fussy here and will have to compromise but before I do I was hoping for either some recommendations I haven't found yet or just some thoughts on my (not so) short list.  I don't overclock my system and only have SSD's, a core i7, NVidia GTX 670 etc.  I tend not to go for highest end graphics/CPU so being able to accommodate a massive graphics card isn't necessary.

Budget isn't a massive concern say below £150-£200, even though all the cases in my list are below that price point.  Here are my requirements.

Mid tower

Passively cooled - water cooling is not needed

Removal drive bays

Tool less drive bays

Hot swap SATA bay externally (hidden preferably)

No windows - not the end of the world as I can always have the system facing the other way.

No lights

Be subtitle not all like the current trend of cases with bits sticking out everywhere like an angry alien.

Be silent oriented rather than performance

And here is my current shortlist:

Coolermaster Silencio 550/652s

Fractal Design Define R4

Coolermaster Obsidian 550d

Nanoxia deep silence 1 or 3

Bitfenix Ghost

Maybe I am the only person in the world that is looking for a case like this, but I would have thought someone would be producing something that fits most of my requirements. 

Any thought are greatly appreciated.

Check out ft05!!!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

H440 or athe Define R4 gets my vote

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Check out ft05!!!

i recommend the ft05 for anyone who has a carpet, bacause of how the PSU is mounted, if not i prefer the H440

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Coolermaster Silencio 550/652s

Fractal Design Define R4

Coolermaster Obsidian 550d

Nanoxia deep silence 1 or 3

Bitfenix Ghost

I'd go with the Define R4, since it's a silent optimized case that fits all the requirements besides a hot swap SATA bay, but that can be easily added as the Define R4 has 5.25" bays where a hot swap bay can be installed, unlike other cases being recommended here like H440 and FT05.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

I looked at the 230, but the 440 seems like an interesting case.  Thanks, I will take another look.

I looked at the 230, but the 440 seems like an interesting case. Thanks, I will take another look.

Check out ft05 it meets a bunch of requirements and has excellent build quality. Comes in window and non window

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

yea the define R4 is the closest I have been to pulling the trigger on. I just wish the 2.5/3/5 bays were tool less. Minor thing I know, given how often I actually take them apart.

Just looked at the FT05 and it's really nice as well.

On a side note I have to say I am really impressed with the speed and quality of the responses on here. Thanks very much.

So I think the FT05 is out. I am not sure I can live with that 90 degree twist for the MB etc and all those cables routing in the top.

The H440 seems really nice, I use my optical disk rarely so I can always get an external case for it. So at the moment its between the Define R4, the H440 and the Deep Silence I think.

So I think the FT05 is out.  I am not sure I can live with that 90 degree twist for the MB etc and all those cables routing in the top.

The H440 seems really nice, I use my optical disk rarely so I can always get an external case for it.  So at the moment its between the Define R4, the H440 and the Deep Silence I think.

I can say that the Define R4 is good, but the Nanoxia Deep Silence I reckon is better, you can check out the Anthrax build log of theprofosist to see what the nanoxias all look like. The H440 is a solid choice though, it's incrediblly popular and rightly so many will say.

On the Silverstone though, I have the more gamery looking RV05 cousin to the FT05, which are identical internally and the rotated motherboard is actually considerably better than the conventional way. It allows for better cooling, the FT/RV05 tops pretty much every air cooling chart for both GPU and CPU cooling by a fair distance. It also means that graphics cards won't sag, which is an issue with the normal motherboard orientation. The cabling is not as bad as you may think, as it can be bundled up and "braided" out the top, whereas in a normal case you just have a mass of cables coming out of different spots all along the back. It also means you have easier access to the top I/O, which is very good for when you need to plug in a USB device or something of the like.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I bit the bullet and went for the deep silence.  Thanks for your tips everyone. 

The H440 was really nice, but I still need my optical drive a bit too much to get rid of those 5.25 bays.

• 2 weeks later...

The Fractal R4 covers most of your bases. It does have a flashy LED ring around the power button and if you don't like this, well....

Maybe look at the non-windowed version of the Corsair 350d? I know you said Mid-tower, but it's similarly sized to one. Unless you already have a full-ATX board, it's my choice pour vous.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 3 months later...

I have a CM Silencio 550 and my CPU temperatures with an stock cooler and an OC'd GPU goes up to 100°C wich is crazy... I need to get a new cooler for my CPU.

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Love my r4

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

I was wondering if you could give me some advice to quiet my pc. I have a Gtx 770 evga acx cooler 4gb , an i5 4670k , a hyper evo 212, a EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 G , and a haf 922 case. My cpu temp idle 40 c and gpu temp 24 c . under load not sure. Well any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thank you so much