Counterfeit? OEM? Where to purchase Windows 7 from?

1. I'm looking for Windows 7 on amazon. I'll either get windows 7 home premium or professional.

Windows 7 professional is cheaper by one supplier: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Q0T0LU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p65_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=13V3PERBMQDPPRK0R5E3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=windows%207&sprefix=window%2Csoftware

The product has many good reviews. But some reviews however say it is a counterfeit copy of Windows 7 or is a "dell" OS whatever that means. From what I have gathered the OS was intended for a dell PC but someone just took the disc and activation code and sold the OS like that. To make it worse, the home premium version OS also has that sort of reputation with many good reviews and some people saying it's fake. So counterfeit doesn't explain the lower price for an OS which comes with more features.

But then when researching what OEM means, it turns out it's intended for system builders: me! But also that OEM discs are OS discs intended for other PCs - like Dell PCs and are resold. And hence OEM OS' should be avoided.

What the hell am I supposed to do? I'm assuming I'm misunderstanding this S* in some way. As for * - wouldn't wana voilate code of conduct here. No seriously though...

The retail discs are bloody expensive but if these OEM discs are truly fakes, then I might as well pay the extra.

-----

2. And what's to stop someone altering the OS, infecting it with a virus or malware and reselling it? Is that even possible? How do I know a disc for windows 7 is truly an ORIGINAL OS - without bloatware or malicious software.

Do you know any students/ are you a student? If so, go for this: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.288533400 it's not OEM and it's very cheap

Plus, if anyone says G2A don't pay attention to it, they can be MSDN licenses, meaning they expire

You can get the windows 7 ISO and then put in the licence key to avoid bloatware/Viruses

With regards to possibly getting a counterfeit key, just take it up with amazon, and you'll most likely get your money back :)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

OEM disks are fine. But only buy from reputable stores. I have never bought a retail disk in my life, but have bought hundreds of OEM (because like you said, they are for system builders).

Now, through amazon, if you get one that is a counterfeit, you can report to amazon and get your money back. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Do you know any students/ are you a student? If so, go for this: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.288533400 it's not OEM and it's very cheap

Plus, if anyone says G2A don't pay attention to it, they can be MSDN licenses, meaning they expire

Yeah but it's Windows 8 :P

What's G2A?

And the OS expires???

You can get the windows 7 ISO and then put in the licence key to avoid bloatware/Viruses

Thanks for the advice!! Didn't think of that!

Available until October 31st.

What do you mean? Where does it say that?

Am I correct in that OEM discs are for other PCs, just sold on their own? I don't want a branded OS. Eg. with a bunch of Dell logos everywhere.

Thanks for the advice!! Didn't think of that!

No problem :)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Yeah but it's Windows 8 :P

What's G2A?

And the OS expires???

G2A is a site in which people sell keys for games and OSes, and the OS expires on G2A.

Are OEMs in any way bad or different in a negative way compared to non OEMs?

WHAT?! How could they do this to us??

You reall haven't heard of this, have you. They just want to push 8.1 while they still can. And 7 is 5 years old anyway. And 8.1 is better for 99% users, but there are still some who would need 7. That's why they will still sell Windows 7 Professional.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You reall haven't heard of this, have you. They just want to push 8.1 while they still can. And 7 is 5 years old anyway. And 8.1 is better for 99% users, but there are still some who would need 7. That's why they will still sell Windows 7 Professional.

I got compatibility issues on windows 8 with LOTR BFME 1 or 2 - one of them.

Might've been unrelated to the OS though.

Might go for 8.1 anyways.

Seeing as how I've unfortunately been forced to get used to it on my laptop lol

it doesnt say home premium will stop being sold.

Only "End of sales for PCs with Windows preinstalled"

Apparently, they've already stopped selling the OS' - last year.

They stopped selling retail copies. OEM is still being sold. They say 'PCs with Windows preinstalled' because the general public doesn't buy OEM. And it does say that:

post-87518-0-74441700-1414525865.jpg

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

They stopped selling retail copies. OEM is still being sold. They say 'PCs with Windows preinstalled' because the general public doesn't buy OEM. And it does say that:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

ah my bad

So are all OEMs branded? eg. with Dell?

I still don't understand the difference in user experience between OEMs and retail.

With regards to possibly getting a counterfeit key, just take it up with amazon, and you'll most likely get your money back :)

Is there any way to get an ISO for windows 7 DIRECTLY from microsoft? I don't trust third parties distributing ISOs, unless they can be easily verified as genuine or trustable.

So are all OEMs branded? eg. with Dell?

I still don't understand the difference in user experience between OEMs and retail.

No. Legit OEM copies you buy are exactly the same as retail, but you "can only install once". They also don't work as an upgrade etc.

They have no banding, nothing.

Is there any way to get an ISO for windows 7 DIRECTLY from microsoft? I don't trust third parties distributing ISOs, unless they can be easily verified as genuine or trustable.

Just buy from amazon.

If you get a copy that is "dell" or "HP" it was sold illegally and you can get it refunded by amazon. Otherwise its a completely blank, normal windows 7 install.