iPhone 6+ Review

fF0HTJAl.jpg

Intro

I think I've had enough time with this to give some reasonable thoughts on its pros, cons and general usability for the average consumer. At least I think I have. And given what I'm reviewing, if some of you wish to keep the flaming to a minimum that would be much appreciated, as this kinda isn't the thread where its needed. But beyond that, I hope this is useful for some of you. 

Usage

It is a 5.5" phone that flies against everything Apple has ever said they would do. Mainly cause the market is awesome and people really wanted larger and larger phones, and while I still think that 5.5" is ludicrous for a phone I have gotten very used to how it feels and how it works in daily use. IMHO the design is spot on and it works, I wish it didn't have the blasted camera bulge and I wish aluminum wasn't so slippery, but so far I've used it with and without a case and all things considered I still feel fairly confident in my abilities to hold onto it in daily use. 

PewsKFtl.jpg

I will say that its too big for one handed use on any level at all, its absurd honestly. The "reachability" they added feels tacked on and not very well implemented, to the point where I rarely use it if I am having one handed difficult. Maybe a future iOS will properly integrate large form factor use for phones, but iOS 8.1 is still going to be hit or miss depending on how big your hands are and how use to big phones you are. 

Display

6cRd8FAl.jpg

The display, in a word, is AWESOME. 1080p is great on this form factor. 1440p? Ehh...We're really at the rate of diminishing returns with phones this size and panels like this. I'd rather see a larger emphasis placed on panels that draw less power and are packing better static contrast ratios, but the iPhone 6+ panel is pretty damn awesome with what colour accuracy and contrast it has. This is one of the best panels I've seen on a phone, and upgrading from a 4.5", 720p panel equipped phone to this was a major difference in clarity and usability. 

Design

fEhmgDKl.jpg

Its a thin slab of aluminium that weighs almost nothing in your hand since its spread out over a large area. Does it bend? Well, I'm 6 1 and 260 pounds. I've used it in pockets with and without a case. Its as flat as the day I took it out of the box, so if there really is a #Bendghazi issue with these phones, I'm not getting it. Nor am I going all Flexmaster and genuinely trying to fold the thing like a house of cards. 

I went Space Grey after considering Gold, since IMHO its the best looking this time around. I miss the darker tones of the iPhone 5's black, but such is life that they dropped it. Like I said before, its slippery as hell and offers no real texture to get a grip on, but it hasn't been too detrimental to my use yet. 

rdGqObLl.jpg

The curved screen I am indifferent towards. My Lumia had one as well and it never really impacted things apart from making it difficult to find a screen protector that actually covered the entire portion of the screen both flat and curved. 

Camera

pSObmI2l.jpg

The camera. Apart from the phone being so thin it needs a bulge, this camera is awesome. Specs? 8MP. f/2.2. Nothing glamorous and to be perfectly honest, they don't need to be. The OIS works well, the slow motion is amusing to implement and have fun with, all in all this is a very competent camera that works well in almost every situation, and even handles evening use like a champ. 

GL4IQ63l.png

The interface is serviceable, but the swiping to get at different functions is getting cumbersome because there simply are so many options now. The manual controls are basic and nothing special, but since Apple opened up the APIs you can get apps that can adjust everything except the aperture, and to be frank on a phone with this small a sensor and these optics, I would prefer to keep it wide open anyways, but thats just a personal preference.

Here are some sample videos and photos, all from the camera:

XyaXdQy.jpg
Jp4hlRn.jpg
BGzXh9r.jpg

iOS

1mLFrpwl.png
p0WR8anl.png

It is iOS. Either you like it or you don't, nothing has really changed when it comes to this. A few cool additions are the entire suite of Health apps which allow you to track whatever you wish. Steps, sleep, sodium intake, heart rate; pretty much anything and everything health related can be fed into the APIs which gives you a centralized way to view these things. I personally like how it integrates with MyFitness Pal and Jawbone UP to keep track of my sleep AND my nutritional intake so I can actually see how I'm doing without needing to go see a doctor just to see if things are in check or if I'm too high or too low, allows me to self monitor which is great. 

e7wMeQIl.png

The multitasking method is now the lovely cards that PalmOS had, something I really like, and its relatively easy to use if not cumbersome as hell if you have multiple apps. And honestly, with the way iOS handles resource management, you can have whatever you want open and not worry too much about slowing the system down. 

The 1GB of RAM...whatever. If it was going to be an issue, I'd have come across it by now, and I haven't. Apart from 2 restarts when I had to update my network settings, this phone has been rock solid and has yet to crash for any obscure reason. 

Battery Life

tJo3wNml.jpg

Ignore the plugged in since last charge, it was in for all of a minute so I could pull off a few shots for this review, because otherwise that usage is 100% bang on and accurate to what I've been getting so far. 

Most days I come home around 9pm with 40% left on battery, and if I am on a "light" day I can end the day with 70% left, which is enough to last me the rest of the next day as well. ITs so good at charging too since it can soak up the iPad chargers ability to pump out more juice, so if I get up at 5 in the morning with 10% left, I can plug it in, go gym, be back 2 hours later and most of the time its above 90% charge. This is something that ALL phones need. I have a few tablet chargers that put out more power, let me use them on my phone for speedy charging when I need it. 

Conclusion

This is a decent if not great phone. It has issues, what phone doesn't. The whole "iOS being locked down" means nothing for 99% of normal users, maybe it means something to us, but to be honest I wasn't that disgruntled over not being given the same level of abuse that Android can be had with. I went from Android to Blackberry to Windows Phone and now am on iOS. 

My honest opinion? Use whatever the hell you think is right for you. See what fits your needs and your budget and offers the best features for what you care about. I bought this phone off contract and still saved 500 over 2 years because my monthly plan is so cheap. But thats me. I didn't have to spend what I did on a iPhone 6+, but c'est la vie. I'm happy with what I have, because it fits my needs and even my workflow WRT to work and play. I like it. I think its cool. Its one of the few phones (Nokia N95, BB 9000, Nexus One) that I really, really enjoy using and having with me. 

I do think the 5.5" screen size might be a turn off, so I'd honestly suggest you try these in store, borrow a friends, get a feel for the larger screen sizes. You might find that you despise something this big, you might find that the tradeoffs are worth it. For me, the larger battery + OIS was worth it, and I've yet to regret it. 

P.S. Some of the images look blurry because I ended up using thumbnails and not the proper files, I'll go fix that in a bit

Nice review. iOS7 / 8 has really made me finally consider an iOS device over an Android one, but I really don't like the build of the 6. I could go with a 5S but ehh... screen size is a little too small.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Nice review! :D

For me the main problem with iPhones (and it's not just because it's Apple, I have the same issue with a lot of Samsung, LG and HTC devices too) has always been the price, not because I can't afford one, but because I don't think it's worth that much, and this one is no different (where I live even carrier plans don't end up making much of a difference unfortunately), as well as having a few issues that I find baffling when it's priced as it is such as unexpandable storage, but I guess if I could spare 500$ on it like you did I might consider one. Unless I could spare that percentage on a much cheaper phone, that is...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Altough I still think 5.5 is stupidly big for a phone, I probably will get the 6S+ (or whatever it will be called) to replace my 5S

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Great review :)

I can say I am happy I went with the 6 not the +, the 4.7" size is way nicer to use in my opinion, less good for games and films but easier to type on than my iPhone 5 (which I am still carrying)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I love tim hortons

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

I love it.

And damn, that camera.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Great review :)

I can say I am happy I went with the 6 not the +, the 4.7" size is way nicer to use in my opinion, less good for games and films but easier to type on than my iPhone 5 (which I am still carrying)

how is the upgrade from the 5 to 6, i'm considering it and i'm still very happy with the 5 but 4g is not supported on all carriers here(and i'm running out of storage space).

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

how is the upgrade from the 5 to 6, i'm considering it and i'm still very happy with the 5 but 4g is not supported on all carriers here(and i'm running out of storage space).

Well I went from a 16gb iPhone 5 on 3g to a 128gb 6 on 4g

So it was a decent upgrade, I love the larger size, amazing camera and way better gaming performance, teh screen is beautiful too, and i find it easier to type on, its also much sleeker in the pocket, can barely notice it there

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Those Camera Pictures are the best I've ever seen, Better than our schools DSLR Tbh...

Id actually use this phone if it had android on it..I just want a Android phone with an Apple camera

Current Build: Desk

My case is my most expensive part

Its Almost 2015 and I don't have an SSD

You might want to read one of your 55,000 emails. Maybe you won a giveaway ;)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Nice review, well done :)

To be honest it does look nice. The design puts me off - I'm not a fan of the rounded edges and the bands on the aluminium. And there is a lot of post processing going on in the images (specifically sharpening and de-noise), so it would be nice for them to include a RAW mode for the camera.

Apart from that, I think I could live with the 6+ if I had to. I still love my OnePlus One more though :P

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

Great review @Victorious Secret_secret if you could jailbreak it using pangu jailbreak for iOS 8.1 and add a section where you go ahead and tell us about the added functionalities sush as the cydia tweaks and customizability ( widgets okn homescreen like android etc ) you can take your review to a whols new level!

Interested in Business and Technology

Nice review. iOS7 / 8 has really made me finally consider an iOS device over an Android one, but I really don't like the build of the 6. I could go with a 5S but ehh... screen size is a little too small.

In the hand, the design makes so much sense; it's curved so it fits way better than many Android phones with the huge screen, and your fingers will appreciate the smoothness of scrolling in from the edge; it's almost a seamless transition from the aluminum to the glass.

Those Camera Pictures are the best I've ever seen, Better than our schools DSLR Tbh...

Id actually use this phone if it had android on it..I just want a Android phone with an Apple camera

Not possible.

I do love how uninformed Android users love spout 'My GS5 has a 13MPx camera! That's so much better than your iPhone's 8MPx one,' when Apple proves (also when it comes to CPU cores/speed and RAM amounts) that what's on paper doesn't count for shit in real-world use. The 6 crushes any other phone out there, because the optics are insanely good; especially with the 6+'s optical stabilization.

I was talking with my friend the other day (note: big samsung fanboy) and he was talking about how bad the iPhone 6/+'s camera was. I asked him why and he was all like "Cause it has 8 megapixels! My S5 has 16 megapixels and is soooo much better!" I just facepalmed and told him that he's dumb. He declined to prove it as well, he just said "I don't have to prove it because it has a higher number of megapixels!"... Completely untrue, my Moto X has a 10 megapixel cam and I think its horrible compared to the iPhone 4S and up.

Perfect section / response :D