Tempered glass screen protector vs. Phantom Glass

Waheed

I am considering buying a decent screen protector for my Galaxy s5.... right now I'm using the equivalent of glad wrap.

I bought phantom glass for my S5 too, haven't gotten it yet though.. I'll let you know when I get it

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I am considering buying a decent screen protector for my Galaxy s5.... right now I'm using the equivalent of glad wrap.

Soooo, what's your question ?

Just get phantom glass, it is hands down the best choice

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Phantom glass is the best choice, trust me, Linus is not lying when he says they're the best.

They have insanely good customer support too, got a response in like 3 hours on a weekend containing all the info i asked for.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Soooo, what's your question ?

Sorry... which one do you think is better?

Phantom glass is the best choice, trust me, Linus is not lying when he says they're the best.

They have insanely good customer support too, got a response in like 3 hours on a weekend containing all the info i asked for.

Got the same response from Spartan as well :P 

I had gotten a tempered glass screen protector for like $5, and it came cracked -- I hit them up with an email late friday night and by saturday morning I had a response saying they shipped out a new one. And so far I'm using the cracked one because I was sick of my old shitty screen protector, and it took like three shots before I finally got it on correctly (because I can't place a screen protector to save my life)...but anyway, I had no issues taking it off and putting it back on; and its still perfect. Although, I did make the crack worse in the process--but thats kind of inevitable considering you're peeling/bending it when you take it off. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yeah but Phantom Glass uses Corning Gorilla Glass... Some tempered glass screen protectors have a hardness rating of 9H on the Mohs scale

TBH I think I would rather just go for the Phantom Glass... Customer service deserves my purchase and if it's good enough for all of you guys then it should be good enough for me.

i have a tempered glass screen protector. cracks very easily and chips too its decent but not that great.

Phantom Glass uses Gorilla Glass. A glass that is very popular. Your finger slides easily, its solid, it's clear and thin.

Tempered glass options, is just basic tempered glass as the crunchiumo mentioned. It can chip on the sides, it is fragile, and also thicker. Also, tempered glass is FAR more easily scratched than standard glass. Gorilla Glass, despite tempered, is stronger than standard glass.

In addition, you don't need to worry about Phantom Glass if is shatters. I had mine that shatters (long story), and it was easy easy to remove. I didn't have peaces everywhere as there is this ultra thin layer above the glass that keeps all the peaces together. Very well engineered, I must say. And if you wonder, I got the replacement screen protector fairly fast from Phantom Glass.

Phantom Glass was also very easy to install. They give you everything you need, from cleaning your screen properly before installing the screen protector, a little cloth to wipe any finger prints once installed. The instruction of installation are included, showing you step by step what to do, great process if this is your first time installing a screen protector.

A very stupid question maybe, but why would someone that has a phone with Gorilla glass need another layer of that glass over it? I'm asking because a lot of people recommend me to get Phantom Glass for my oneplus one but I don't really see the purpose of it.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

I have Spigen Glas.tr Slim on my HTC One M8, likely very similar to Phantom Glass.

can not scratch it no matter how hard I try. I've taken keys, knives, screwdrivers and grind them as hard as I can against it and it won't scratch. It amazes my friends, but the reality is that the tempered glass is harder then stainless steel.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

A very stupid question maybe, but why would someone that has a phone with Gorilla glass need another layer of that glass over it? I'm asking because a lot of people recommend me to get Phantom Glass for my oneplus one but I don't really see the purpose of it.

If you drop the phone flat on the screen, the tempered glass will crack rather then the actual Gorilla Glass, which is more then likely glued or fused to the LCD and very hard to replace if cracked. 

Gives you a second chance.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Get Phantom Glass, tempered glass feels like pexiglass on your screen

Phantom Glass is tempered glass.

I still find that glass screen protectors have an issue with friction, i.e. my finger doesn't always glide smoothly across the screen.

For this reason, I use matte screen protectors but unfortunately they degrade the quality of the display :(

If you drop the phone flat on the screen, the tempered glass will crack rather then the actual Gorilla Glass, which is more then likely glued or fused to the LCD and very hard to replace if cracked. 

Gives you a second chance.

Also, you CAN scratch gorilla glass. Many with the Surface Pro line system has scratches their screen with the device pen, despite Gorilla Glass 3. The problem comes when you use the pen and the screen is dirty with dry finger print dirt or dust that arrives on it as you write. Now granted in the OP case, there is no pen writing to worry about, but it replace the pen with keys or other object in a bag or table surface or something.

Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. That is why you have a market for even harder glass: Sapphire glass, which is very expensive, and reduce light, but perfect for smartphone camera lens cover to protect the camera in the phone/tablet, or watches, weather be a fancy watch or a smart watch.

So, it is like EcoBoost said. it give you a second chance. Its 35-40$ phantom glass, with free replacements, it's better than paying 100$+ (probably more, I never done it) for fixing your smartphone, as the display is fused with the glass to reduce glare and reduce thickness.

The plastic sheet screen protector are god awful. They all have a tint color as plastic is not truly transparent despite their claim. That is also why they always cut a hole for the camera and ambient light sensor. Phantom Glass doesn't need to. It affects your touch experience as plastic is not perfectly smooth. It scratches easily making you replace the screen protector often, hard to install, and has this tint color that is visible when looking your device at an angle. If you buy them, you'll see that the packaging cost more than the screen protector, and you'll feel ripped-off bug time.

Phantom Glass is tempered glass.

Yes, but no.

Phantom Glass is Gorilla Glass, which uses a different process to achieve tempered glass. It doesn't shatter like tempered glass, and is significantly more hard. Tempered glass is REALLY easy to scratch (much easier than glass), and if the edges are not finished or protected, it will chip. Gorilla Glass doesn't do this.

I think we all saw a shattered screen phone (using Gorilla Glass).

If it was standard tempered glass, it will look like this:

tempered-glass-thumb7762298.jpg

You have never seen the above happen on a phone. This shows that white Gorilla Glass is tempered glass it's not your standard tempered glass.

I still find that glass screen protectors have an issue with friction, i.e. my finger doesn't always glide smoothly across the screen.

Well Phantom Glass is the same as your device (assuming it uses Gorilla Glass and not plastic glass, which some (mostly low end ones, do)). So you finger slides exactly like it does on the device screen itself. I have tested this.

For this reason, I use matte screen protectors but unfortunately they degrade the quality of the display :(

That is because they don't use a proper anti-glare coating film like you have on decent and up anti-glare coated monitors. They just give you a sheet of textured plastic. The coating film that monitor uses (again, ignoring the entry and low end ones), is a special film that allows light from the monitor to pas through fairly straight, but light on the opposite side (your room), to be reflected. Keeping your monitor sharp and easy to see.

• 6 months later...

Just get phantom glass, it is hands down the best choice

AMEN! ;)