Turning my non-smart tv into a smart tv

Matthew12106

So I live in two houses. In one house I have a smart tv in the other... not so much. I really want a smart tv in my other house but I don't want to buy a new tv and re-mount it to the wall. So I seen an ad for something like Amazon Fire Tv, which seems like the solution to my problem. It plugs in via HDMI and acts like a steaming box which will let me go on netflix and youtube. I need something like that and I wonder if anyone has any better options. I need four things from it

1. Has to be able to do youtube

2. Has to be able to do netflix

3. I have to be able to have access to network settings or other methods so that I can get US netflix not UK netflix

4. HD!

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

Chromecast or new nexus player,

Dis should b gud

Well, provided that your TV has an USB port

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Dis should b gud

Or not, my chromecast is plugged into HDMI and USB powered via the wall plug that Google gives you in the box.

Some cheap chinese android HDMI stick can do this, just make sure it has decent specs to play movie smoothly

Chrome Cast is pretty limited

nexus player looks pretty good

also chromeboxes are a good choice.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Limited yes, but does what the OP wants, exept maybe for the network proxy to listen to US netflix. No need to spend more than needed.

Limited yes, but does what the OP wants, exept maybe for the network proxy to listen to US netflix. No need to spend more than needed.

Dis should b gud

Hello, Thanks everyone for the help. Looking at this review in particular 

and from my instinct I think the Amazon fire tv is the way to go. it's £30 more than the ROku usb stick thing but I think it's wroth it personally. What I want.. what I need is... to know if it is possible to mess around with the DNS settings for the network so I can get that sweet us netflix

ALSO... My tv is very close to the wall and I don't think anything like the chromecast of the roku would fit :(

Actually I could just use a HDMI extender

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

FireTV stick is pretty cheap and comes with $20 off if you are an Amazon Prime member (go for a free trial membership if you're not). This brings the price down to $19.

I am not sure how well it works if you're outside the US, however.