[Scratch Build] Project Arctic, A teenagers first Scratchbuild! Final Pictures up!

FlashEmirald90

Introduction, Concept and Goals of the project.

Hello! I am Lucas, a 17 year old guy from Sweden. Some of you might have seen my latest finished project Slenderbox

(http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/156639-project-slenderbox-silent-but-powerful-htpc-final-pictures-give-me-critisim/)

You can read more at my website (http://www.auxiliumdesign.com/)

Finals!

I can't describe how happy I am right now, Arctic is up and running, I got some pictures I really like and I made it to the Mod of The Month at Bit-tech! Getting on MOTM is a big thing for me, always been a goal since I was about 14 haha.

I want to thank my sponsors, supporters and all of those who have helped me or given me thoughts!

IMG_0808_zpsffcf1e89.jpg

IMG_0802_zpsb5a35f23.jpg

IMG_0744_zpsb17a1196.jpg

IMG_0750_zpsbdc9b6c3.jpg

IMG_0772_zps8ec31121.jpg

IMG_0748_zps0691ff1a.jpg

IMG_0749_zps057568fb.jpg

IMG_0776_zps96efcd7b.jpg

IMG_0778_zps5452dd5d.jpg

IMG_0779_zpsd22c4f98.jpg

IMG_0799_zps2d591625.jpg

IMG_0804_zpse69129be.jpg

IMG_0746_zps94a81d4b.jpg

IMG_0796_zpsdda09632.jpg

IMG_0818_zps9342b82d.jpg

IMG_0819_zps0cc12b15.jpg

IMG_0820_zps9598b25c.jpg

IMG_0824_zps9941336a.jpg

IMG_0827_zpsdf73c3d9.jpg

IMG_0782_zps72796445.jpg

IMG_0786_zpsddcab62d.jpg

IMG_0784_zps1ef5f271.jpg

IMG_0817_zps72ac58c6.jpg

IMG_0850_zpsf7468c63.jpg

IMG_0939_zps780972c2.jpg

IMG_0815_zps5864c492.jpg

Thank you guys! Have been a great time doing this project!

This time, I step up my game, and will make a scratchbuild! :D

But what is so special with this one? Well, probably that it will be the smallest of it's kind.

Housing two watercooled full length GPUs, and a watercooled CPU on a mATX motherboard.

In less than 19 Liter! ( I think this will be the smallest fully watercooled SLI ever, please help me find contestants ;) )

The concept

I have done a couple of projects, one mid-sized and one really big (Read SMH10). So I decided that before I take a break from modding, it would be nice with something small, but still powerful.

I want something quiet, and portable to take with me to different places. As my parents are divorced I move everything in my room between the houses 6 times per year, something small would be better.

TL;DR Small, Quiet, Powerful, Portable

This was my first prototype, altough it is pretty big, 23 Liters, and ATX PSU.....

double2_zpsa110b588.jpg

I just had to go smaller, this is the final design, 19 liter only!

tell_zps076ecacb.png

Designing the case

This is more in depth behind the scenes, for those who are interested!

As my experience with Creo (former Pro.Engineer, CAD program) and knowledge about materials grew, I decided I wanted to design and make my own 100% aluminum case.

First I wanted it to be below 20 Liters, but when I fell in love with XSPCs white radiators, I had to make it 22 Liters.

I started of with some basic forms and tried to find out solutions to make it possible to bend and cut out the case.

Steps of modeling the front of the case

newgfi3_zps6184eba2.gif

I wanted double 240 rads (40mm) to be able to cool SLI+CPU. On the front, only the vandal-switch and the fangrill will be visible. On the base there is space for double SSDs

The rear side of the case will have 4 PCI-e slots, a nice PSU cutout and holes for PSU air.

making2_zps541454d8.jpg

For those who wonder how something looks before it is bent, this is how it looks. It is about 1 meter long :)

flat_zps36a96a45.jpg

Contributers:

fredrik_zpsd886c779.jpg

Specifications

Weight: >3kg

Volume (ID): 18,3 Liter

SLI/CF

2x240 Radiators

Full length GPUs (270mm)

Hardware

As you can see im still in the planning state, all green are bought, all yellow are decided, all red are unknown yet.

Case: Arctic, Special edition!

Motherboard: MSI Gaming G5 m-atx

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

GPU: 970 SLI Gigabyte Gaming G1

PSU: Silverstone 600W SFX

Harddrives: Two HyperX 240GB SSDs

Fans: White E-loops

Memory: HyperX Fury white 1866MHz 4x4

Watercooling

Radiators: XSPC AX240 Dual Fan Radiator - White

Pump: Laing DDC-1T Plus

Reservoir: Watercool DDC-Tank LT

Coolant: Mayhems Pastel blue

Timelplan

Case designed 04/10-14

Watercooling ordered 07/10-14

Hardware Partily ordered 08/10-14

Case produced - 22/10-14

Case powdercoated 06/11-14

All hardware ready 07/11-14

Mounting 14/11-14

Final touches 17/11-14

Studio rigged, photo and video 18/11-14

Showcase at Dreamhack!

Showcase at dreamhack?

i was planning to go but exames are to soon after it... :(

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I got to sub me to some of this, absolutely stunning!  :o

Do two 970s run on 600 watts?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Looks great! where do the cables come out of the psu...?

Current Build: Desk

My case is my most expensive part

Its Almost 2015 and I don't have an SSD

I'm a 17 year old half-Swede and you just made me feel like shit compared to you. Amazing how someone my age can do all that and I'm just sitting here, rotting in a leather chair. Brb, crying in a corner because of how beautiful it's going to be. (Followed the topic btw and I'm really looking forward to the completed build)

Wow... This is awesome!

Thanks man!

Showcase at dreamhack?

i was planning to go but exames are to soon after it... :(

Ouch :/

Yes, as I won Intel's Kitchen (www.intelskitchen.com) we will probably be in the Intel Booth!

I got to sub me to some of this, absolutely stunning!  :o

Do two 970s run on 600 watts?

Yes, a 970 draw about 140W, so they are easily going on 600W! :) Thanks!

Looks great! where do the cables come out of the psu...?

Thanks, the cables comes out where there are no cables on the render, I just didn't find a way to make them in Sketchup,

I'm a 17 year old half-Swede and you just made me feel like shit compared to you. Amazing how someone my age can do all that and I'm just sitting here, rotting in a leather chair. Brb, crying in a corner because of how beautiful it's going to be. (Followed the topic btw and I'm really looking forward to the completed build)

Haha thanks man! I think it is all about starting with something, just something small is enough, This was my first "project" (I was only 14, so don't judge haha), bad matched sleevings, but as you can see, nothing special about it.

(http://www.sweclockers.com/galleri/9886-v2-first-attempt-by-isw3de)

After that it is all about coming up with an idea! Even if you have a tight budget, you just have to find companies who also likes your idea!

Do we want a new update today? :D

and of course I said I was going to sub, but then got distracted and forgot lol. OK I have now actually subbed :)

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

The pump and measurecheck!

Here is the pump! But what is that  :o A STICKER?!

pump2_zpsfdb85631.jpg

Fixed it, and mounted the Reservoir, it got some machine marks, but it looks like frost to me  ^_^

pump_zps07cf9365.jpg

Did a fast mockup to see if I am pleased with the dimensions e.t.c (This is with ATX PSU tho)

carbon02_zpsa5d605df.jpg

Also the feet for my case came by mail today! 100% aluminium of course!

feets_zpsedf257a1.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, do you remember me telling you that Arctic is not only the computer but my whole interior? 
Well, let's do some transformation!

This is what I had, it looks alright, but does not match the power of Arctic  ;)

8_zps86c07ee3.jpg

Let's put on a better monitorstand, let's give the monitorstand some wings!
This is what you get!

screenboard_zps66a88552.jpg

That was everything for today! Oh, almost forgot, the cliffhanger!

dxf_zps213807ae.png

Who can figure out what this means? You'll get a cookie ;)

carbon02_zpsa5d605df.jpg

Dat GPU sag tho :P

Who can figure out what this means? You'll get a cookie ;)

DXF files, my guess would be that you are going to water/laser cut the panels.

i7 4770k // Scythe Mugen PCGH 4 // Asus Maximus VI Hero // Crucial Ballistix 2x 4GB 1866 CL9 // MSI GTX 770 2GB Gaming

Where can i buy that cute little box :o

Ahh, Say hello to Auxel, my little helper, I treat him as my own so he is not buy-able, although you can adopt some of his siblings here! 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdanbo&_nkw=danbo&_sacat=0

DXF files, my guess would be that you are going to water/laser cut the panels.

You are absolutely right, cookie for you! 

Dat GPU sag tho  :P

Haha, I know, they are kinda heavy nowadays  ;)

Thanks man!

Ouch :/

Yes, as I won Intel's Kitchen (www.intelskitchen.com) we will probably be in the Intel Booth!

Yes, a 970 draw about 140W, so they are easily going on 600W! :) Thanks!

Thanks, the cables comes out where there are no cables on the render, I just didn't find a way to make them in Sketchup,

Haha thanks man! I think it is all about starting with something, just something small is enough, This was my first "project" (I was only 14, so don't judge haha), bad matched sleevings, but as you can see, nothing special about it.

(http://www.sweclockers.com/galleri/9886-v2-first-attempt-by-isw3de)

After that it is all about coming up with an idea! Even if you have a tight budget, you just have to find companies who also likes your idea!

Do we want a new update today? :D

I have had ideas. I have a great idea now. Make a really cool itx/matx aio PC inside an iMac g3 case. I can't afford any new parts tho.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I have had ideas. I have a great idea now. Make a really cool itx/matx aio PC inside an iMac g3 case. I can't afford any new parts tho.

Nice, then you can start of with old parts, just to do something is the key :D

Look for second hand market, etc

Nice, then you can start of with old parts, just to do something is the key :D

Look for second hand market, etc

See Im the opposite, go big or go home  :P

Current Build: Desk

My case is my most expensive part

Its Almost 2015 and I don't have an SSD

After cutting this out,

update12_zps6bf90adb.jpg

(The plastic seems to have screamed for help during the laserpenatration :hangman:

update7_zps3f30b17c.jpg

in this awesome lasercanon

update10_zps23f271bf.jpg

My father and I inspected the drawings to make sure the bending was done properly.

update8_zps88ff00bc.jpg

We though this bad boy would make a great job. :rofl:

update9_zps723fd0fa.jpg

First bends are coming out nicely

update4_zps3509b2c5.jpg

At this time I was shivering because I just wished everything would fit right, as this is the first time I design my own case, and the first time I have made everything myself :eh:

But wait, what might this be? :panic:

update3_zps8e21f07a.jpg

You might be able to guess with this picture

update1_zps6e2a0b17.jpg

Any guesses? ;)

Looks good. Nice to see another scratchbuild. Not too many people bother doing that.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

headphones stand?

i3570k @4300Asus P8Z77-VKingston Fury 16Gb DDR3Asus 7970 Direct CUII TOP x2Samsung 830 256Gb, Enthoo Primo, EVGA 1000W P2 psu

Corsair K90Logitech G9xSamsung S27A750D 3D monitor, Pioneer A400Monitor Audio BR2 - 600T Enthoo Water Cooling Build blog

Pentium 4 HT 3.2GHz, Radeon X800Pro 256Mb, 2Gb DDR Ram, WinXP - Retro'04 Build log

Seems like an interesting project! I'll follow this :)

NZXT H440   //   MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC   //   i5 4670K   //   MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB   //   HyperX Beast 8GB 2400mhz   //   OCZ Agility

What are the cost to let it bend?

I did pay for the whole work, not the bending alone, it wasn't that expencive actually!

Looks good. Nice to see another scratchbuild. Not too many people bother doing that.

Scratch FTW!

headphones stand?

You guessed right! Cookie for you my friend!

where do you get a project like this metal cut?

You search around and ask workshops, if they can do it for you :)

Seems like an interesting project! I'll follow this :)

Great! Thanks!

Next update is coming tomorrow evening, stay tuned!