Can't copy from HDD, HDD disappears

Go to solution Solved by dfsdfgfkjsefoiqzemnd,

I am assuming this is Win7.   IIRC this should do the trick, but I can't promise anything.  Haven't used it in a long time because I always disconnect all other drives when I install an OS.

1 ) open the command prompt as admin
2 ) type the following : bcdboot c:\windows /s c:

3 ) You should get a message that tells you the boot files were succesfully created.

4 ) Open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Managment -> Disk Managment

5 ) Right-click the "C" partition and select "Mark Partition as active".  If it asks for confirmation, do confirm.

6 ) disconnect the dying HDD and reboot. 

If it boots, you're all set.  If it doesn't, I'm out of ideas.

Hi Guys, as the title suggests, I can't copy any file from my secondary drive to any other storage device. When I do I get the error "Error 0x8007045D: the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

I looked around online and tried the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode and disable all 3rd party startup items

- A couple different registry cleaners (which I'd usually never touch)

- Move the SATA cable to a different port on the motherboard

- "chkdsk e: /r" and got the message "The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters" twice, and then "An unspecified error occurred"

At first I thoght it was an operating system or C drive issue, but after trying to copy to different drives, realized it was the E drive since it can't copy to anything. At first it simply gave the 0x8007045D code error, but now it gives a new error "You need permission to perform this action

You need permission from Administrators to make changes to this file".

Now after I do anything to the drive, it vanishes from the system (doesn't appear in Computer or Disk management) until I change the SATA port again and reboot.

Here's the worst part for me. Though my operating system isn't on this drive, all of my games and important files are. If I can't copy any of it off, I'll lose my important files and have to re-download near 1TB of games... But it gets worse! I never knew about the thing where if you have other drives plugged in when you install Windows, the system won't boot without them, and yep, I installed Windows onto my SSD while I had this HDD plugged in. If I lose this drive, I'll have to format my C drive too, so I'll lose basically everything.

So uh...anybody have some advice for me?

Mint is the one i use,

Aside from that, it sounds like a failing drive.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Thanks for the advice TDP, but I just got back from trying with Ubuntu =P Same problem in Ubuntu, it stopped part way through the copy process.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to rescue the data, or is it just too late? Also, does anyone know how I can separate this drive from the boot process so I can format this drive without having to format my C drive?

Thanks for the advice TDP, but I just got back from trying with Ubuntu =P Same problem in Ubuntu, it stopped part way through the copy process.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to rescue the data, or is it just too late? Also, does anyone know how I can separate this drive from the boot process so I can format this drive without having to format my C drive?

Well, there is a place....

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

Give these guys a call and they will give you an estimate of the price.

Of course it is going to be fairly expensive, so only use it if the data is REALLY important to you.

As far as your question goes, i am not sure what you are asking.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

EDIT

Unfortunately for me I'm not willing to pay to save my data. It's stuff I can live without, but can't stand to see it go if you know what I mean. I actually managed to copy of my important files! It turns out the two files I originally tried to copy off don't work, but I thought I'd try a random JPEG and that worked, so I tried my important files and I got them fine! So it seems maybe only the more recent downloaded files can't be saved, but I don't care about those. I'll try to copy off my games now, turns out they take up 1.24TB so I definitely do NOT want to download those again... Now I just need to sort out the issue below.

As for the question, when I installed Windows onto my SSD, I had a HDD (the one that is currently failing) plugged in to the motherboard. Because of that, Windows will not boot if this HDD is not plugged in and functional. I'm hoping someone can help me out with a way of detatching it from the boot process so that only the SSD is needed in order for Windows to boot.

What motherboard do you have? Sounds like a dying HDD, but there is a chance that it's a bad SATA controller. The early P67 motherboards tended to have that issue a lot. In fact so bad that they pulled them from the shelves for a while in early 2011 to sort the problem out.

I used to have one of the affected motherboards, and the symptoms were about the same.

EDIT

Unfortunately for me I'm not willing to pay to save my data. It's stuff I can live without, but can't stand to see it go if you know what I mean. I actually managed to copy of my important files! It turns out the two files I originally tried to copy off don't work, but I thought I'd try a random JPEG and that worked, so I tried my important files and I got them fine! So it seems maybe only the more recent downloaded files can't be saved, but I don't care about those. I'll try to copy off my games now, turns out they take up 1.24TB so I definitely do NOT want to download those again... Now I just need to sort out the issue below.

As for the question, when I installed Windows onto my SSD, I had a HDD (the one that is currently failing) plugged in to the motherboard. Because of that, Windows will not boot if this HDD is not plugged in and functional. I'm hoping someone can help me out with a way of detatching it from the boot process so that only the SSD is needed in order for Windows to boot.

Is that a thing? I didn't know that happened. I had all my drives plugged in when i installed windows and i can boot just fine without them.....

But it is good you got your important stuff back.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Maybe I got it wrong, but for whatever reason I can't boot into Windows with just my C drive plugged in and it really sucks. If I can find out how to stop Windows from depending on the HDD I'll be all set.

I am assuming this is Win7.   IIRC this should do the trick, but I can't promise anything.  Haven't used it in a long time because I always disconnect all other drives when I install an OS.

3 ) You should get a message that tells you the boot files were succesfully created.

4 ) Open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Managment -> Disk Managment

5 ) Right-click the "C" partition and select "Mark Partition as active".  If it asks for confirmation, do confirm.

Your HDD is dying, copy all your important files to another HDD and replace the bad HDD. Make sure in the future to always have a backup, or at least have RAID 1 system, mind that RAID is not replacement for backup.

Thanks so much, this worked! I'm slowly copying off stuff from the dying hard drive and I have the irreplacable stuff so for the most part my problem is solved. It's not quite the solution to the opening post but it's the final solution to my problem so I'll mark this as the solution.

Thanks to the others who helped out also, glad I came to the LTT forums.

Thanks so much, this worked! I'm slowly copying off stuff from the dying hard drive and I have the irreplacable stuff so for the most part my problem is solved. It's not quite the solution to the opening post but it's the final solution to my problem so I'll mark this as the solution.

Thanks to the others who helped out also, glad I came to the LTT forums.

Awesome! And good to know that if i ever have a computer that cant boot without a second drive in, i can fix it :D

Enjoy your stay at the LTT forums! But be warned, it is addictive :P

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler