What Drive Should I Get? A Guide to the Mechanical HD Market

Blade of Grass

@Blade of Grass edit on the Seagate Baracuda. It should be lower price to performance ratio. Or if you wanna keep it, higher performance to price ratio.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

@Blade of Grass edit on the Seagate Baracuda. It should be lower price to performance ratio. Or if you wanna keep it, higher performance to price ratio.

Thank you for that :) Corrected.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Great Guide, especially since I'm looking into getting a RAID 10 setup soon.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

It might be worth noting the maximum capacity of some drives (I'm thinking of the WD Blue which only goes up to 1TB) as this may be helpful to some people. I understand that you may not want to put this in as it probably will change in the future.

You could also mention some of the specific features people may want to know about for each drive, for example WD drives don't have AAM (or at least they don't make them that way now).

It might be helpful to link this WD page for quick reference to their consumer drives:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

And this one for their enterprise drives:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/enterprise/

This is a good guide and I'm sure it will help people who are interested in this info, Well done :)

Edit: You could also mention SSHDs, but this may not be relevant to everyone.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

It might be worth noting the maximum capacity of some drives (I'm thinking of the WD Blue which only goes up to 1TB) as this may be helpful to some people. I understand that you may not want to put this in as it probably will change in the future.

You could also mention some of the specific features people may want to know about for each drive, for example WD drives don't have AAM (or at least they don't make them that way now).

It might be helpful to link this WD page for quick reference to their consumer drives:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

And this one for their enterprise drives:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/enterprise/

This is a good guide and I'm sure it will help people who are interested in this info, Well done :)

Yeah, I won't state specific sizes as that can change. Though I will be linking those two pages :) Thanks.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Fabulous :D,@Blade of Grass include small section of ssds maybe?

I would consider doing that, but my only qualm is that the SSD market is extremely large, with dozens of manufacturers each with dozens of products, so it would be a very large section/post.

I'm not saying it's a no, just that I'll have to consider how it will be done (what info to include etc).

15" MBP TB

Another problem is that the ssd market is very hot right now. There's way too much product introduced too fast and then discontinued as the market moves along. Trying to keep up with that would be a full time job.

A sticky would be a boon because of all the repetition in posts asking the same damn questions over and over, but it would be a bear to keep current.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Wow, really amazing job, @Blade of Grass!

Thank you for doing this guide! Very accurate and well done, pretty professional as well! 

However, I have a couple of suggestions you might be interested in: 

I'd hyperlink each drive to its web page because it would be much easier for users to just go straight to the product page of the HDD series they want to check out, instead of browsing through all of them.

Also I'd maybe add the Velociraptor to the WD drives because I've noticed there are quite a few people from the community that are interested in those as well. 

This should go in sticky indeed! :)

Cheers,

SuperSoph_WD 

I hope I can help with any storage issues that you may have!  ;) 

Wow, really amazing job, @Blade of Grass!

Thank you for doing this guide! Very accurate and well done, pretty professional as well!

However, I have a couple of suggestions you might be interested in:

I'd hyperlink each drive to its web page because it would be much easier for users to just go straight to the product page of the HDD series they want to check out, instead of browsing through all of them.

Also I'd maybe add the Velociraptor to the WD drives because I've noticed there are quite a few people from the community that are interested in those as well.

This should go in sticky indeed! :)

Cheers,

SuperSoph_WD

Good points, I will do that when I get home :)

15" MBP TB

The nice thing about consumer and pro-sumer drives is there are really only two players in the market right now. Well, there is Hitachi still, and Toshiba and Fujitsu, but you don't see them as often in the lower end market.

As for SSD's though, everyone and their brother seems to be making them, as you can buy all the components, assemble and re-package. Names like Intel, Samsung, Adata, OCZ, Plextor, Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, etc... and all their changing models makes it really hard to have a sticky about them...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Edit title maybe? 

What Hard Drive Should I Get? A Guide to the Mechanical HD Market

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Nice! Good stuff.

You might want to change "Barracuda" to "Desktop" which is the actual Seagate branding of them.

Seagate
Consumer:
Barracuda
The Seagate Barracuda series are Seagate's solution for the desktop environment. They have a low price to performance ratio, and will suit most of your desktop needs. The drives should be able to work in RAID, but are only rated for a maximum of 2 in RAID 1/0, they are also only rated for 8x5 use. More Info

Also, the SE drives don't have a better URE than WD's consumer drives (Red, for example). The RE series of drives do, and the XE does better than the RE series.

Enterprise:
Western Digital Se Series
The WD Se series are designed for cost effective enterprise server and NAS RAID environments. These drives support a few of the same features as the WD Red Pro series, but are designed for a larger workload in an enterprise environment. WD Se drives also have a higher URE, and should be less prone to bad sectors. More Info

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Nice! Good stuff.

You might want to change "Barracuda" to "Desktop" which is the actual Seagate branding of them.

Also, the SE drives don't have a better URE than WD's consumer drives (Red, for example). The RE series of drives do, and the XE does better than the RE series.

Good point, I didn't notice that they had completely changed their whole naming scheme.

I realised that the RE and XE drives have a higher URE this morning, but SE drives do have a higher URE than Reds. I haven't had time to change it yet, will do it when I'm at my desktop :)

EDIT:

Blacks/Reds have < 1 10^14

Se have < 1 10^15

Re have < 1 10^16

Xe have < 1 10^17

15" MBP TB

Good point, I didn't notice that they had completely changed their whole naming scheme.

I realised that the RE and XE drives have a higher URE this morning, but SE drives do have a higher URE than Reds. I haven't had time to change it yet, will do it when I'm at my desktop :)

EDIT:

Blacks/Reds have < 1 10^14

Se have < 1 10^15

Re have < 1 10^16

Xe have < 1 10^17

Nope:

SE's have < 10 in 10^15

RE's have < 10 in 10^16

XE's have < 10 in 10^17

I was confused initially too, but that is the case.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Nope:

SE's have < 10 in 10^15

RE's have < 10 in 10^16

XE's have < 10 in 10^17

I was confused initially too, but that is the case.

Oops, you're right, should of been 10 and not 1. But still, Se drives have a higher URE than Reds/Blacks.

15" MBP TB

What if I said platter density was important to me.

Also the velociraptor is technically an enterprise drive.

Also seagate SV35 FTW!

Oops, you're right, should of been 10 and not 1. But still, Se drives have a higher URE than Reds/Blacks.

The Reds have < 1 in 10^14, and the SE has < 10 in 10^15, which is equivalent to < 1 in 10^14 (I'm pretty sure)

Do you plan of getting an SSD?

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Awesome!

Terascale makes me think of older AMD cards for some reason...

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Did they abandon the Barracuda label or are Desktop and Barracuda different labels? If they're different, what exactly is 'Barracuda'?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Did they abandon the Barracuda label or are Desktop and Barracuda different labels? If they're different, what exactly is 'Barracuda'?

They moved away from the Barracuda labeling. Their newest models (the 4 and 6TB) are Desktop, and their website labels them as Desktop.

Everyone's going to still call them Barracudas though, so we should probably keep a reference to that.