How do you clean thermal paste off a cpu and cooler?

Alir

I need to know for future reference. Haven't even built my PC - but want to know in case i screw up.

How do i do it?

A lot of vids show people using rubbing alcohol/isopropyl alcohol - its probably spelt incorrectly meh - i dont have isopropyl alcohol and won't buy a huge 1litre bottle if I'll probably only ever use it once or twice - i doubt I'll remove my cpu cooler unless something breaks.

are there any small mini bottles?

what can I clean the cpu with? I have cotton buds, tissues, kitchen towels/tissues but have heard they leave fibre and fibres are bad for cooling.

99% isopropyl and coffee filters because they are lint free. And once I'm done, I give it a once over with a micro fiber cloth.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

99% isopropyl and coffee filters because they are lint free. And once I'm done, I give it a once over with a micro fiber cloth.

is there any way without isopropyl alcohol?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

isopropyl alchohol in anything over 75% is good enough. from what i've seen, the bottles you get that are 99% are fairly small (at least mine is).  iirc you can also use something like nail polish remover (although i would get a second opinion)  as far as what material to use, anything is ok as long as you are carefull not to leave fibers behind.  coffee filters work great as they have no fibers

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Yeah but it takes a lot more elbow grease, whats wrong with isopropyl? 

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

You can use TIM cleaner, though it's be the same as buying a bottle of Isopropyl.

A microfiber cloth, coffee filters, or TIM cleaning cloths will work

You may be able to find a smaller bottle of Isopropyl, depends on what's available.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

You can just use kitchen roll to wipe the majority of it off, then slightly damp kitchen roll to wipe off the rest. Paint thinner/vodka will do a better job though than water.

Really, it doesn't really matter how you do it, doesn't make a huge difference whether you use specific stuff or just water. The difference is only generally 2 degrees or so.

Compatible with Windows 95

Yeah but it takes a lot more elbow grease, whats wrong with isopropyl? 

nevermind. hadnt looked much into smaller bottles.

looks cool. might go for http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silver-ArctiClean-Material-Purifier/dp/B000BKP306/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414447461&sr=8-2&keywords=thermal+clean

anyone know how it "Leaves a great finish for new thermal paste application" or is that just marketing for a small bottle of tap water? :P

I just wipe it off a few times with a paper towel. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Methylated spirits, turpentine or nail varnish remover all work just as well as

Alcahol

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I have used Isopropyl and Nail paint remover. I prefer Isopropyl though.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @4.5Ghz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 | Cooler : Cryorig R1 Ultimate | Ram: 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 2-Way SLi | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo / 4x2TB Caviar Black | PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 | Windows 7 64-bit  | Case: Enthoo Pro | オール・イズ・バニッティー (all is vanity)

If you work hard, you can make your own Luck.

I need to know for future reference. Haven't even built my PC - but want to know in case i screw up.

How do i do it?

A lot of vids show people using rubbing alcohol/isopropyl alcohol - its probably spelt incorrectly meh - i dont have isopropyl alcohol and won't buy a huge 1litre bottle if I'll probably only ever use it once or twice - i doubt I'll remove my cpu cooler unless something breaks.

are there any small mini bottles?

what can I clean the cpu with? I have cotton buds, tissues, kitchen towels/tissues but have heard they leave fibre and fibres are bad for cooling.

It's not necessary to use isopropyl alcohol to clean it off but is recommended since it helps clean out the pores of the metal better than using a little water, just use a barely damp paper towel or coffee filter and remove the majority and clean off the residue that is left behind, before apply new compound.

I just did this for a friend yesterday, I used q-tips and 90% isopropyl alcohol. It got his temps much lower after he had broken the seal of the stock paste while cleaning.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Toilet papaer or other soft paper towel is cheapest way. Even @Slick has admitted of using it as quick and easy solution.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

been using alchohol 70% (couldn't find anything above it locally) and I don't know where the hospitals get theirs.

and can't ship them to my country most of the time. don't know why and I probably never bothered since after all these years been using 70% alchohol (isop) and it works.

and I either use my shirt if I'm too lazy to get a micro fiber cloth.

Live your life like a dream.

isopropyl alcohol and toilet paper/paper towel

you don't want to use a cloth you will keep as thermal paste is horrible to get off of cloth

I normally use micro fiber cloth and just trow it away instead of washing it (after there is no more space to use) but about using my shirt I don't know much since my wife does all the laundry >.<

I normally use micro fiber cloth and just trow it away instead of washing it (after there is no more space to use) but about using my shirt I don't know much since my wife does all the laundry >.<

Are you rich? micro fibre cloths aren't cheap - using one once only to clean a cpu isn't ideal for your wallet.

Are you rich? micro fibre cloths aren't cheap - using one once only to clean a cpu isn't ideal for your wallet.

I got no job btw.

just a free lancer for cad etc, and I sell pc parts or build and stuff on my shop.

I don't really bother looking at the price tag whenever I buy something I use to clean. so I can just freely trow it away after use.

not rich just normal guy who has different priority. 

oh it's not really using once. like last night I had to build 4 pc for clients I used it one on 4. if it's just a single use I normally use my shirt since most of the time I'm too lazy to grab M. Cloth on my drawer.

I just wipe it off a few times with a paper towel. 

post-104353-0-81033600-1414577379.gif

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

I use goo gone, they sell small bottles, like really small bottles.