Best Anti Virus Or Anti Malware for Gaming PC

so i got my new Gaming pc and i don't have any anti virus or  anti Malware to protect my computer, i spend a lot to build this pc and i want to spend for anti virus or anti malware (better that have both) to protect my computer.

i download a lot mods and (many) torrents.

any recommendations?  pls comment so i can buy.

Avast and Malwarebytes are two great free anti virus & malware softwares. I don't really pay for these things as these will do the job just fine most of the time.

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

^what he said, its what I use also

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

I have been using Avast Pro for the past year, caught a good discount, however I haven't really used any of the extra features which came with the Pro package, or least haven't seen in the reports that those extra services done anything useful. So just stick with the free package unless you really need something else...

Malwarebytes and AVG or Avast ... Both are WONDERFUL anti viruses... Malwarebytes is a MUST in every computer program.. it's just a miracle making program that solves malware issues and threats. Don't believe me? Pfft, download it.. stick yourself a malware virus that'll give you annoying ads and steal your info ... Launch Malwarebytes and WOOP! It's GONE...... (the malware... not the program :|)

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

nod32.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I use avast! (licensed) and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (free, you can get license if you want) and its awesome!

MSE does the trick for me.  It's free and has no annoying pop-ups urging you to buy a paid version like Avast, AVG and Avira have.

I've been researching a newer company that resides in China, it seems to be able to detect pretty much everything due to the engines that it runs (3 of their own, and 2 "BitDefender and Avira" as optionals).

They have quite a large user-base and it seems to detect pretty much everything out there. It's also extremely good with its heuristic scans (Finds 0-Day Exploits/Malware). One major issue that it seems to face, false detections. They will most likely be improving it, and may have already improved it with their Beta version, but it's something you could check out if you don't have a grudge against the Chinese.

Anyway, they go by the name of Qihoo 360, which you can find by Googling 360-Safe; make sure to grab the Total Protection package.

They also offer a Browser which seems to be fast and secure; it's based on WebKit so it's pretty much like using Chrome.

Oh, and I should also mention that it's entirely free. They apparently make their revenue from advertisements and other things in China (and probably Government contracts :P). You can do your own research if you don't trust it, but it's been working flawlessly for me in my tests and apparently almost 500-million others.

EDIT: Oh, and it will detect most of your Torrents (Cracks for Games), but it seems to label them as "riskware/hackware" something like that (Can't check right now, at work). When it prompts for removal just stop it from removing it, unless it's actually identified as being something dangerous (example: Trojan.Generic). If it shows as a Heuristic scan, it could be a false detection or actually a 0-Day threat.

same here although kaspersky can be resource intensive sometimes although I think it calms down while in game

2015 doesn't use much and yeah gaming mode helps

\

I've been researching a newer company that resides in China, it seems to be able to detect pretty much everything due to the engines that it runs (3 of their own, and 2 "BitDefender and Avira" as optionals).

They have quite a large user-base and it seems to detect pretty much everything out there. It's also extremely good with its heuristic scans (Finds 0-Day Exploits/Malware). One major issue that it seems to face, false detections. They will most likely be improving it, and may have already improved it with their Beta version, but it's something you could check out if you don't have a grudge against the Chinese.

Anyway, they go by the name of Qihoo 360, which you can find by Googling 360-Safe; make sure to grab the Total Protection package.

They also offer a Browser which seems to be fast and secure; it's based on WebKit so it's pretty much like using Chrome.

Oh, and I should also mention that it's entirely free. They apparently make their revenue from advertisements and other things in China (and probably Government contracts :P ) . You can do your own research if you don't trust it, but it's been working flawlessly for me in my tests and apparently almost 500-million others.

EDIT: Oh, and it will detect most of your Torrents (Cracks for Games), but it seems to label them as "riskware/hackware" something like that (Can't check right now, at work). When it prompts for removal just stop it from removing it, unless it's actually identified as being something dangerous (example: Trojan.Generic). If it shows as a Heuristic scan, it could be a false detection or actually a 0-Day threat.

I just found out that it has a major backdoor to steal your private data.  That's how they make their money.

http://www.ibtimes.com/privacy-issues-chinas-qihoo-360-technology-which-provides-free-antivirus-software-are-becoming-more

so avoid like the plague.

it is a Chinese product afterall.  I just hope one day we don't hear the same for avast and all the free goodies out there.

Malwarebytes Premium + Disconnect is all I use. You shouldn't need anything else as long as you're not a go-happy-ad-clicker. All of Malwarebytes services sit at 0% respectively until something needs to be done. It's scanner is also extremely fast so it doesn't take long to do what it needs to do and go back to idling. Unlike most antivirus engines that constantly run scans in the background hogging up resources.

hiHGTFT.png

Sure it's not a full blown antivirus, but with just a very little common sense it's more than enough to keep you safe.

I just found out that it has a major backdoor to steal your private data.  That's how they make their money.

http://www.ibtimes.com/privacy-issues-chinas-qihoo-360-technology-which-provides-free-antivirus-software-are-becoming-more

it is a Chinese product afterall.  I just hope one day we don't hear the same for avast and all the free goodies out there.

Weirdly enough, I was thinking "hmm, a free Chinese IT security product. Sounds like a proper Trojan horse" as soon as I read Derranged's post about it. Sometimes prejudice can come in handy and avoids lots of misery.

With anti-malware: Malwarebytes hands down.

It works alongside anti virus software perfectly.

Anti-virus software is down to preference. I prefer Norton, though have yet to play really demanding games.

Norton does use up a lot of resources, as do a lot of AV software.

Fortunately, you can just turn it off while you're playing or put it in a sort of gaming or sleep mode - not sure what it's called but Norton should have one of those.

I am currently using Avast. It's great if you're not paying anything, as I care little for this PC right now.

So if you wana pay, depends, I'd go for Norton.

If you don't want to pay: Avast

Read a bit how to protect yourself from malwares. Antivirus programs can't always help. 

"I am like ninja, but less gay" - Deadpool

Seems to be pretty bull**** to me, if it actually was as cancerous as they attempt to make it, it would be considered a Trojan by other anti-malware companies; or atleast a PUP. Plus, that article is old as hell and probably doesn't mean anything anymore. It doesn't even have any solid proof towards it doing this, for all you know that article could've been made for view phishing. If you're going to try to accuse something of being malware, actually provide some evidence before you slander it.

EDIT: I will have a look into this, but as far as I can see it doesn't have any malicious activity in the background. Plus, if it really does send data such as URL's away, it would more likely be for examination of unknown links to discover new malware faster, I can see the concern here.

If you're concerned about backdoors stay the hell away from windows lol

linux is your best bet and as for AV backdoors - I'm sure all mainstream ones do, and I'm sure all those corporations like Symantec work alongside organisations like the GCHQ or NSA, whether knowingly or unknowingly through saboteurs.