Best HDD for gaming

Demozwolf

Hello guys what is the best hdd for gaming

Is it the red from hdd or what?

Thanks

Edit: Has to be 2 tb and less then 200 dollars

CSGO FOR KNIFE!

The HDD is about the least important part of the computer when it comes to what makes it game better.

SSD = master race but honestly Company X's and Company Y's HDD are identical. If you really want to justify a purchase find one that has a good looking sticker in the box. Other than its storage it's the same thing.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Option 1: Buy a SSD :)

erm...well let's say hypothetically you're want something speedy that can read games fairly quickly & write to them if you're recording using fraps/open broadcaster maybe you should take a look at WD's Caviar Black drives /(velociraptors) or Seagates Barrucuda.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Western Digital Blue 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Western Digital Blue 

WD Black / WD Red, they have cooler looking stickers ;)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

The HDD is about the least important part of the computer when it comes to what makes it game better.

SSD = master race but honestly Company X's and Company Y's HDD are identical. If you really want to justify a purchase find one that has a good looking sticker in the box. Other than its storage it's the same thing.

SSD's are sexy tumblr_mff89zvCKL1r5pl3ao1_400.gif

Option 1: Buy a SSD :)

erm...well let's say hypothetically you're want something speedy that can read games fairly quickly & write to them if you're recording using fraps/open broadcaster maybe you should take a look at WD's Caviar Black drives /(velociraptors) or Seagates Barrucuda.

No, just no. I have 4 seagate 2tb drives and let me tell you, they are loud. He's better off with a WD green, they run more silent.

If ssd is an option in the future, go for a samsung 840

No, just no. I have 4 seagate 2tb drives and let me tell you, they are loud. He's better off with a WD green, they run more silent.

Is it enough for windows?

CSGO FOR KNIFE!

Hello guys what is the best hdd for gaming

Is it the red from hdd or what?

Thanks

Edit: Has to be 2 tb and less then 200 dollars

I'd personally go with a WD Black, they're fast and reliable. But in all seriousness the hard drive is least important when it comes to gaming.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I'd personally go with a WD Black, they're fast and reliable. But in all seriousness the hard drive is least important when it comes to gaming.

Lol I know i meant because i download a lot of games i need to know whats the best one

CSGO FOR KNIFE!

Lol I know i meant because i download a lot of games i need to know whats the best one

There will never be a "best one".  It's all what you prefer.  WD Blacks and Blues are reliable, and Blacks are fast so I usually go with those.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

For $200, you could get an SSD and an HDD. Thinking about which HDD is best for gaming is shooting yourself in the foot. Get the best of both worlds.

guess you were on the unlucky side.

I have 6 seagate barracuda's 1tb on my server and they aren't as loud as my 1tb caviar black and for me the blacks are even quite.

OT: which ever you find a prettier sticker go with it. pretty much similar in a simple term.

or if you want grab tose 1tb SSD and don't look back. if it's not enough just buy another 1tb or higher if money allows.

Live your life like a dream.

I would get (4) 1 TB WD Reds and put them in RAID 10, but seriously SSD's are the way to go for gaming.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I have a secondary hard disk which is an wd caviar any idea if it's good

Ps: it only says caviar and has a small yellow part

CSGO FOR KNIFE!

I would get (4) 1 TB WD Reds and put them in RAID 10, but seriously SSD's are the way to go for gaming.

Wut...

I have a secondary hard disk which is an wd caviar any idea if it's good
Ps: it only says caviar and has a small yellow part

If you're running windows 7 and it's plugged in (make sure you plug it in when the system is off) you can go to control panel > hardware and sound > and under devices and printers, there should be device manager. Look under disk drives in device manager and it should list the model name/number of the drive.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Wut...

RAID 10 is a combination of RAID 1 + RAID 0, hence RAID 10. Watch the video on Techquickie - 

RAID 10 is a combination of RAID 1 + RAID 0, hence RAID 10. Watch the video on Techquickie - 

I don't think he's questioning what RAID 10 is, I think he's questioning your common sense.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I know what RAID 10 is...just wondering why you made this suggestion knowing it's breaking his budget and performance expectations...

I know what RAID 10 is...just wondering why you made this suggestion knowing it's breaking his budget and performance expectations...

My Mistake.

Hard drives aren't that expensive, although I suppose you're right it would be way over $200. The RAID 10 I'm suggesting would be 280$ with these WD Reds:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236342&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=ppssNASHDD-_-22-236-342-_-Product

And If they're willing to sacrifice a bit of redundancy on RAID 0 with WD Blues, 2 drives would only cost 120$, with 4 drives with RAID 10 redundancy 240$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136771

Without considering RAID, the WD Blues mentioned above certainly would be what I recommend for your average 1 TB boot drive.

If you're running windows 7 and it's plugged in (make sure you plug it in when the system is off) you can go to control panel > hardware and sound > and under devices and printers, there should be device manager. Look under disk drives in device manager and it should list the model name/number of the drive.

I have 2 which one is the 500 gb one because that's the secondary one

post-120709-0-52605800-1414597313_thumb.

Edited by Demozwolf

CSGO FOR KNIFE!