Want to make a few bucks for developing an app?

LinusTech

I'd suggest someone make this for the play store and App Store and embed ads or charge $1.00 for it. I'll be your first customer. All they've done is set up a server somewhere locally and created a ui that allows you to run a simple file copy test.

It baffles me that this doesn't already exist.

Speedtest is great but only useful for Internet speed testing

Edit: helps if I include the link eh?

-quote from Linus senpai-

Wait, how is this different to speedtest? 

Edit: Or do I just have no freaking idea what you're talking about?

Edit 2.0: Saw the video, so like a speedtest testing the phone's best possible wifi capabilities? 

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

I'd suggest someone make this for the play store and App Store and embed ads or charge $1.00 for it. I'll be your first customer. All they've done is set up a server somewhere locally and created a ui that allows you to run a simple file copy test.

It baffles me that this doesn't already exist.

Speedtest is great but only useful for Internet speed testing

What's the idea?

Edit: I saw the tweet, hmmm.

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Not gonna lie, if I didn't see your tweet I would have thought you were drunk or high or both....

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

So you want to be able to test network speeds between computers on a local network?

Seems interesting. Don't know what's behind this lol :D

Would it benefit networked rendering? 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

If i can find time, i will take a look at the Android side of this app

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

Seems interesting. Don't know what's behind this lol :D

I think he wants it for his phone reviews. Testing WiFi performance..

I would so make this if I had the knowledge to do it :c

Would be great to help Linus for a change instead of the other way around

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

249 user(s) are reading this topic

Holy Freaking Crap

He posted it to FaceBook and tweeted it, I think :P

Edit: It's out there already?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pzolee.android.localwifispeedtester

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

I didn't get it? 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

I want it for easy throughput testing when evaluating phones, routers, or really any number of other things.

Iperf is a giant piece of garbage on Windows. Every configuration guide has different tips and tricks none of which work and I don't trust a test that consistently spits out 600mbit when I can transfer a file between the client and server at 100MB/s

I understand it works great on Linux but that's not convenient for literally 99+% of people.

And I'm not going to buy ichariot just for this basic functionality... :P

Sounds difficult without first setting up a host computer that would have to always be on. Why not just get AirDroid and do a file transfer

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

If you use something like "ANDftp" on android you can connect to FTP servers like Filezilla servers and do file transfers from that. When you start a download on the phone it will tell you on both the phone and server side what speed the transfer is moving at. If that helps.

On second thought, Ill throw around some ideas for the UI. Maybe might even learn some programing (this day in age it should be required as a language.) It would be interesting to see how hard this really is (Famous last words)

Or purely just using a filezilla server and moving files would tell you the speed at which they are transferring on client and server sides. for computer to computer.

Also speedtest.net allows you to "Host your own server" which you could just not port forward and you could run a local speedtest.