Out of most of the case reviews Linus and his team has done, this case looks terrible in my opinion. Outside, it looks clean.. but everything else is just.. terrible. Silverstone.. wtf yo.

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

I like the idea of this case, it will work great behind my monitor on my shop desk so I can still access the cables. Time to bring the H440 inside...

This is such a cute little case. I like it.

I've been thinking of jumping on the super mini computer cases bandwagon...

Hadron is still smaller but this isn't half bad.

EDIT: Finished watching the video, God damnit Linus xD

I don't think you realize how big this case is, sure its small for an ATX case, but a Hadron Air is 16L while this is 46L capacity.

WTF.....who let Linus get into the cocaine again?

That case looks nice at first, then just falls apart in every other area as far as I am concerned.

Desperately awaiting the Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL video

(Yes I realize the cases are completely different, but that's the only case I am currently awaiting, I want it to have my babies)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Can anyone explain the advantage of cases like this? With the top closed off like that, it looks highly inconvenient to access your GPU/motherboard ports

The review completely missed the point of this case.  The point of this case is stellar cooling performance that runs very quiet.  Basically they didn't test it so all there was to talk about was how it looks.

Also they said - Quote : "it also performs quite well in air-cooled environments."

'Quite well' implies that its not bad but that there are better options (not accurate) and it only casually mentions cooling performance as an afterthought.

There are a couple of reviews of the Fortress 05 and the Raven 05 where they actually test the case.  The cooling performance and noise numbers are amazing.  The 90 deg turned motherboard allows for convection + the penetrator focused airflow fans means this is the best performing mid tower air-cooling case there is.  Look at the reviews that show the actual number comparison for CPU+GPU temps and noise and its top for both lowest temps and low noise at the same time.  No other case of this size is simultaneously amazing at cooling and low on noise.

Techspot : "Placing the entire system under load saw the Fortress FT05 deliver remarkable results with its low-speed fan setting...Spinning the fans faster on medium and high produced our best GPU and CPU results to date."

Hardcop : "By now it should be abundantly clear that the cooling capabilities of two 180mm Air Penetrator fans in a 90º rotated chassis design are nothing short of fantastic."

"If you are building an air cooled system, the Fortress FT05 is a perfect choice."

Not sure if I'm a fan of the design of this case, but whateves lol. And Linus...don't kill me man haha! Almost spat my drink all over my keyboard...

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Love the case design, my only gripes are with the window positioning and the lack of psu space as i have an evga 750w g2.

Love the case design, my only gripes are with the window positioning and the lack of psu space as i have an evga 750w g2.

FT02 then

Meh... It's like a cheeped-out-on mATX FT02...

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
    Threadripper 1900X @ 4.0GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite @ 3466MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming-X 11G
  • Case
    SilverStone Fortress FT02
  • Storage
    1TB Samsung 960 EVO + 500GB WD Blue SSD + 2x 4TB WD Red (RAID1) + 3TB HGST Deskstar NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
    BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Propellerhead Balance + Bose Companion II + AKG K7XX
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

top mounted IO urks me for some reason.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Y all the hate here and in yt comments?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Y all the hate here and in yt comments?

They fail to see the point of a case like this. The whole point is for optimal cooling in a small farm factor case that supports ATX motherboards. Whilst also looking awesome.

It's for optimal cooling. Plus you get easier access to it than if it's at the back of the case.

Meh... It's like a cheeped-out-on mATX FT02...

It's an ATX case. It can fit boards up to SSI CEB in size, so it ain't no cheap mATX case.

Honestly, the window positioning isn't as bad as they make it out to be. You can see the CPU and heatsink, you can see the PCI-E lanes clearly, the only reason it's that low is so you don't see the top of the inside, as they recommend you run some cables through there, which can make it look a little ugly. Plus you get to see those massive 180mm fans in there.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

When I bought the FT03 Mini (I really liked the looks) I wasn't sure what to think of everything coming out the top.

After getting it built and set up next to the TV I really liked how easy it was to hide all of the cables since they came out of the case in one bundle rather than spread top to bottom over a foot of space.

It makes it extremely clean looking for a HTPC where it is in the open and you see the back of it when coming into the room from the hallway.

As for a case like this it would make it very easy to plug in cables, just pop off the top and plug them in, rather than getting behind the computer or even moving it to get at the back. Heck, you probably wouldn't even have to get out of your chair.

Design of the case is nice, simple and all metal, looks good. That side panel is kind of.. misplaced a bit. Decent case tho, and good review :D

I personally don't really see why this case costs over £100.

It looks a little plain to me, as it doesn't have a whole lot of shaping or anything, I guess I might just prefer slightly more "muscular" looking cases, but I think they could have done a little more with it. I've got a Zalman Z9 Plus (it was around £50), and IMO it looks an awful lot nicer.

As for features, this case doesn't have quite everything that the FT05 has, but the features it lacks are very small little things, definitely not justifying another £80, and it's not like this Zalman has tacky materials or a bad airflow. Am I missing something here?

NICE case, not so nice price.

Linus keeps saying he's sooooo busy, yet he seems to always find the time to goof around in Lukes videos...

"Don't mind me eh, I'm just making sure you're doin' it right eh. YEEEEEEAAAAAH!"

A quick critique of your videos Luke... if I may. The volume of the last word in most of your sentences is much much lower than that the words in the rest of the sentence. This sometimes makes it difficult to follow you. I know that this is just the way you talk, as I've noticed it on the WAN Show as well, but I would encourage you to try to keep the fluctuations in the volume of your voice to a minimum.

This video has bad frame timings causing juddering seen at 1:45 (maybe due to 24fps render).

I personally don't really see why this case costs over £100.

Aluminum is more expensive than steel, the die for extruding aluminum is more expensive than stamping steel, and anodizing aluminum is more expensive than painting steel. It all adds up, but in the end you do get a higher quality product even if it is lacking features. 

Aluminum is more expensive than steel, the die for extruding aluminum is more expensive than stamping steel, and anodizing aluminum is more expensive than painting steel. It all adds up, but in the end you do get a higher quality product even if it is lacking features. 

I see. I guess that makes sense, although I still don't see myself spending that much extra for those materials.

They fail to see the point of a case like this. The whole point is for optimal cooling in a small farm factor case that supports ATX motherboards. Whilst also looking awesome.

It's for optimal cooling. Plus you get easier access to it than if it's at the back of the case.

It's an ATX case. It can fit boards up to SSI CEB in size, so it ain't no cheap mATX case.

Honestly, the window positioning isn't as bad as they make it out to be. You can see the CPU and heatsink, you can see the PCI-E lanes clearly, the only reason it's that low is so you don't see the top of the inside, as they recommend you run some cables through there, which can make it look a little ugly. Plus you get to see those massive 180mm fans in there.

I do see the point of such a case. Doesn't mean it has to be ugly. And, well, it isn't bad looking for everyone's tastes, so they didn't even fail their product.

NICE case, not so nice price.

Linus keeps saying he's sooooo busy, yet he seems to always find the time to goof around in Lukes videos...

"Don't mind me eh, I'm just making sure you're doin' it right eh. YEEEEEEAAAAAH!"

Dude, isn't he even "allowed" to relax a bit? I mean, how can you judge his work day from a two 2 seconds appearances in this video?

I do see the point of such a case. Doesn't mean it has to be ugly. And, well, it isn't bad looking for everyone's tastes, so they didn't even fail their product.

I suppose appearances are subjective, but I feel silverstone has covered all bases for this with the RV05 as well as the FT05. They have a sleek, silence optimised case in the fortress, and a more gaming, aggressive oriented design in the Raven.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I suppose appearances are subjective, but I feel silverstone has covered all bases for this with the RV05 as well as the FT05. They have a sleek, silence optimised case in the fortress, and a more gaming, aggressive oriented design in the Raven.

Yep, well I think silverstones cases aren't for me then, as the Raven series looks bad to me too. Look isn't everything, and in a world where great cases were all ass-looking, I wouldn't be picky, but our world has Fractal Design ;-) (and other companies that do good and good looking cases)

Yep, well I think silverstones cases aren't for me then, as the Raven series looks bad to me too. Look isn't everything, and in a world where great cases were all ass-looking, I wouldn't be picky, but our world has Fractal Design ;-) (and other companies that do good and good looking cases)

Well I can't agree with you on the raven, as I own it (and love it) but I will agree that the define R4 does look great. Not a fan of the arc midi though, even though I know it's a good case and will recommend it.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

I am going to build a pc soon so I have been looking over cases. Surprisingly, the case is the hardest component for me to decide on. I wanted a small case (and sadly matx motherboards could not fulfill my needs...). I was about to give up on that and choose a Fractal R4 (which is a BIG case from my perspective) when I spotted this on the Silverstone website about a week ago. This case is 46L (the R4 being 56L, almost 25% larger). This case is middle of the road size for me compared to what I originally wanted, but is compact for the average pc builder.

Luke's review:

-I agree that the window's placing is a bit off. However, Silverstone definitely thought of that beforehand (they do a ridiculous amount of research on their cases, particularly the compact cases) and I'm sure there was some reason none of us considered for why they placed it there. Regardless, and thankfully, I didn't want the windowed version so it did not affect my decision to purchase it. 

-The psu size isn't a big deal to me, as I am buying a psu, but it would be a bother for someone transferring an older psu into the case. What interests me is that no one is noting the 2.5" drive space behind the motherboard. Couldn't you use the larger psu and put a 2.5" mechanical drive there as well as 1 ssd? As I am getting a shorter psu, this issue also did not affect my purchasing of the case. 

My views:

-The case cooling and SIZE is great. I also love the unconventional layout and have to give Silverstone a hand for releasing things outside the norm for many of their cases. When considering size restraints, this case is superb. Sure, there are a lot of awesome cases out there, but they are all larger than this one. So it confuses me when people count it as a negative that this case is 'more compact than usual.' Isn't that the point?

I have had a soft spot for Silverstone ever since they released the sugo sg05. So part of my decision to purchase this case is because I wanted to support this company which seems to release innovative cases. That, plus the size of the case, plus the cooling potential has persuaded me to purchase this case at a much higher price than I was even considering going when initially looking at cases.

Way to go Silverstone, you have at least one buyer for this case!

-The psu size isn't a big deal to me, as I am buying a psu, but it would be a bother for someone transferring an older psu into the case. What interests me is that no one is noting the 2.5" drive space behind the motherboard. Couldn't you use the larger psu and put a 2.5" mechanical drive there as well as 1 ssd? As I am getting a shorter psu, this issue also did not affect my purchasing of the case. 

Yep I agree. I'm not even going to put a  2.5" drive in there.  Just a single 512GB M.2 SSD right on the motherboard.  Then take that 3.5" cage out for optimum airflow.