Where to begin programming?

Bombular

Hello, I am wanting to learn how to program but I don't know where to start. Can someone please help me with some good websites or videos to start out my programming career with or just give me some tips? Thanks for your help!

lynda_com_logo.png

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

lynda_com_logo.png

^^ this

Other than that, just find a problem or experience that you want to solve or automate and just look for tutorials on YT.

When I was ~8 I wanted to hack a game called Combat Arms, so I torrented Visual Basic 6 and just started watching tutorials on youtube. After about a week I was hacking away and able to create and read from libraries. With no practice since, in my 10th year of school I took a robotics class and was immediately able to understand how things worked on the programming side

Once you learn the language (of programming in general), it's just a matter of learning new words

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Youtube. Newboston's python tutorials are good. If you want to learn python. 

First you should choose a language that you want to learn. If you want something that can do anything you could start with C++ or C# for exemple. But if you want some faster result you can look into python. Once you chose want language you are learning you can start doing little project. Mostly console project to start with since that's easier. If you want a little challenge once you know the basic you can try solving these problems: https://projecteuler.net/problems . But a good advice is not to rush it and learn everything before try to jump into something more complicated. Otherwise you'll just give up.

Good luck in your learning 

IMO, you should start with C, so you'll know how memory works.

Go find some tutorials and working code, study it. Try and understand its function and replicate it. Get a copy of Visual studio and run through some code with a break point, if you are having trouble understanding it.

That's pretty much how I did it at my first job.

You can start with Visual Basic, thats what I did in my certifcate at my uni. Ive moved onto C# & knowing Basic was an incredible help to this.

Basic teaches you concepts like loops etc easily which you never stop using.

Hello, I am wanting to learn how to program but I don't know where to start. Can someone please help me with some good websites or videos to start out my programming career with or just give me some tips? Thanks for your help!

Go watch Codegasm from Barnacules on YouTube, I'd say that's a good starting point

What this guy says ^

Codegasm is incredibly funny and educational so you don't get bored watching it. Also, do some research as to what language(s) you want to be programming in. In some cases it could change the way to want to learn. But like he said, start with Codegasm 

*LInk*

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Start with Hello world. :) I personally have been learning python by using this book: http://inventwithpython.com/ I enjoy it. I personally have to apply something i just learned immediately, or it falls out of my brain. So this works well, gives me something fun to apply it to. Also there is the codegasm series, codeacedemy, codeschool if you want to go that route, lynda.com. There are ALOT of online, and even library books to get you started.

I wish you luck in your endeavor.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

I think you first have to know what you want to do (the first proyect should be easy) and then search info on the internet on how to do that thing in the language you have chosen.

Tutorials are sometimes good, but they are very slow and you sometimes learn things that you are never going to use.

The best way to learn how to code is trying it yourself.

IMO, you should start with C, so you'll know how memory works.

Go find some tutorials and working code, study it. Try and understand its function and replicate it. Get a copy of Visual studio and run through some code with a break point, if you are having trouble understanding it.

That's pretty much how I did it at my first job.

Not to be rude. But do NOT start with C, since C it's a low level language memory management and what not can become concepts pretty hard to grasp for a begginer.

I think OP should start with Python, study it's data structures and grasp the basic concepts before even thinking about managing memory. You can download a lot of PDFs in google for Python and read the documentation for it on it's website.

Not to be rude. But do NOT start with C, since C it's a low level language memory management and what not can become concepts pretty hard to grasp for a begginer.

I think OP should start with Python, study it's data structures and grasp the basic concepts before even thinking about managing memory. You can download a lot of PDFs in google for Python and read the documentation for it on it's website.

Well, nothing you're going to be doing as a beginner is going to be dealing with anything too hard. Pointers are not difficult at all until you get malloc() in the picture. The only really difficult thing is trying to diagnose why your program was randomly terminated, but if you download Visual Studio, it'll show you which line it happened at.

You could start with something like Python, but trying to learn optimization from a language that relies on library functions is really difficult. Some of the things that kill your optimization in C# just baffle me. I also had a hard time understanding how references,iterators, etc. worked before I learned C.

Well, nothing you're going to be doing as a beginner is going to be dealing with anything too hard. Pointers are not difficult at all until you get malloc() in the picture. The only really difficult thing is trying to diagnose why your program was randomly terminated, but if you download Visual Studio, it'll show you which line it happened at.

You could start with something like Python, but trying to learn optimization from a language that relies on library functions is really difficult. Some of the things that kill your optimization in C# just baffle me. I also had a hard time understanding how references,iterators, etc. worked before I learned C.

If you are new to programming, the only thing you care about is getting the code to run, not how fast or efficient it is.

I'd say anything based on C: C, C++, Java or C#.

Videos, books, classes. It takes a lot of time and effort to learn how to (really) program so have that in mind.

If you like the cosmetic side of things, have fun with HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PhP.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Well Ives started python training at codecademy and I am currently working on lists and librarys

If you are new to programming, the only thing you care about is getting the code to run, not how fast or efficient it is.

You should still learn how to optimize code relatively early on, and it seem unnecessary to switch languages at that point. You'd also have the advantage of not needing to learn a new language if you want to learn how to do pointers.

Also, if you use Visual Studio's debugger, learning C probably wouldn't be that hard. I learned everything from notepad and command line, which was really frustrating, even when I was using C#. I don't know if there is an equivalent for python.

I'd say anything based on C: C, C++, Java or C#.

if you decide to learn with java, just don't try to use Eclipse. The learning curve for figuring out why things are breaking randomly is pretty steep for an experienced coder.