Best way to rip tons of DVDs

Go to solution Solved by TheProfosist,

What's handbrake? I use Freemake Video Converter (I'm familiar with that) 

I always though ripping DVDs would automatically save them as .avi or .mp4...

Does it really take that long? :x crap. 

Is it for the encoding or just the ripping?

yeah I already have 5 optical drives... I might be able to get a second computer, but that might make it (more) complicated

I'll have a FX8350 by the time I start doing this, so would I be able to take the HDDs that have the raw files and move them over into my main rig and do the encoding there? If it helps I'll have a CUDA-enabled GPU ( a low-powered one) in the system so I can use that...

Handbrake is a GUI that automates using some of the better encoding tools. It also have many very good tutorials and FAQ's done by experienced users.

How long it takes depends on the resolution and quality that you want the encode and what yo uwant it to play on.

OC that 8350 and it will chew through those videos. This is what that CPU's architecture is really designed for.

Hmm you seem to be confused by the different terms and what-so-ever internet is using lol.. (don't worry I sometime confuse myself also) but here is quick explanation that I found on google that is in my opinion quite accurate and simple

now that's a differences between "copy" and "ripping"... and you asked "Is it for the encoding or just the ripping?" and well you see it is kinda same thing... the main difference is ripping involves getting it from dvds/cds and then encodes but encode you can just encode your FRAPs movies which might be already in somekind of codec but the size is too big and impractical. Encode basically means you manipulate the data to the different form so that it is in a better format (lossless, have more compatibilities and/or smaller in sizes).

Now to the main question: does it really take that long? preeeetty sure... (I might of course be mistaken... I'm as mortal as you are lol but probably nooot~). Will the FX8350 helps? hell yea lol... compared to the system you posted it's gona be like an airplane racing against car.... but it will still take long... I however do not know if the CUDA-enabled GPU will help at all... (forgive me... I lack knowledge on this matter... I do know it helps rendering but encoding? not sure...)

Now that some other ppl has been replying as well that gives you more option (darn... more heads are better than one that's for sure lol). Someone above mention that you can save the dvds in "image" format and then encode them later to an better media format. This will bypass the physical limitation of optical drive that I mentioned earlier but I feel like this is doing an simple thing with overcomplicated methods... You see... if you really do as he says sure you get pass the physical limitation of optical drive but you're still limited by CPU power and somewhat to the optical drive since you still have to copy/save them in image first and then encodes them. Dont get me wrong though.. this method might really be the fastest way since it's a lot faster to encode the file on your drive than on the optical drive... But seen as you have 5 of them... and If you can rip on them simultaneously I doubt you gona gain THAT much of the speed...

ps. holyshit the amount of typos... I should go to sleep lol

to copy would be to make a second identical disc

to rip would be to make a image (iso) or folder that is an identical copy minus at least DRM

to encode would be to take a source and make it into a single file

to transcode would be to take an already encoded file and re-encode it to fit the device you want. (its always better to have the source and encode from it.)

you can encoding using nvidia in two different ways and with a Intel CPU but all of them are sub par to software encoding

Reading directly from the disc will slow the entire process down, especially with just 480p. His best bet would be to use his 5 drive to rip all the discs to his HDD then queue up encode for all of them and leave his PC on until it finishes it. Also your better off encoding one thing at a time so each one has access to all the threads then starting the next because its highly multithreaded. Also you do more then just encode from the source they are a bunch of things that have to be done and just accessing a disc directly takes far longer than any even somewhat modern HDD.

If you just want to rip the main movie (with your choice of subtitles and audio tracks), and encode later, then I highly recommend MakeMKV. It places the video in an MKV container file, but doesn't re-encode the video, so it's extremely quick.

FYI, when you encode the video via Handbrake (or whatever you choose), make sure to Deinterlace the video!

Isn't MKV a video format? :x

hmm that sounds good! Android can play MKV so I'll look into that :) Thanks!

Can't handbrake do that though?

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Mkv is a container. As long G as you only want one audio track your beat off going mp4 especially if any sort of portable is envolved.

Mkv is a container. As long G as you only want one audio track your beat off going mp4 especially if any sort of portable is envolved.

Does MP4 support subtitles, though? 

Android supports mkv (as of Android 4.0) so I think I'm okay with that...

It's okay - I could always rip to ISO or MKV if they're both as intensive on the CPU, then use my main rig to do the encoding.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

MKV is a container file (the extension .mkv). It can have many different "codecs" (video format) inside though. The most common is h.264, but it can also take MPEG2 (which is what DVD's are encoded in). The specific codec determines the type of quality and compression it can have, and the container determines extra supported features (like embedded subtitles, multiple audio tracks, etc).

And no, I don't believe that Handbrake can simply rip the movie file without any transcoding (Though it is possible that I could be mistaken).

If he's using iOS, then maybe? But Android supports MKV perfectly fine. I've been playing MKV files back on my Android ASUS Transformer TF-101 tablet for what, 4 years now?

I personally feel that MKV is the superior container over MP4.

It's okay - I could always rip to ISO or MKV if they're both as intensive on the CPU, then use my main rig to do the encoding.

It will be about the same intensity to rip to ISO vs MKV. A little faster with MakeMKV actually, since you're stripping out all the menu's, extras, etc. Though there are ISO ripping programs that allow you to do the same thing while ripping to ISO, I just happen to feel like having it as an MKV file will be more versatile.

If you have a ton of free HDD space, you could always rip to ISO as a permanent long term storage archive, then encode the ISO to MKV h.264 (making sure to enable deinterlacing) for your actual usable file.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

MKV is a container file (the extension .mkv). It can have many different "codecs" (video format) inside though. The most common is h.264, but it can also take MPEG2 (which is what DVD's are encoded in). The specific codec determines the type of quality and compression it can have, and the container determines extra supported features (like embedded subtitles, multiple audio tracks, etc).

And no, I don't believe that Handbrake can simply rip the movie file without any transcoding (Though it is possible that I could be mistaken).

If he's using iOS, then maybe? But Android supports MKV perfectly fine. I've been playing MKV files back on my Android ASUS Transformer TF-101 tablet for what, 4 years now?

It will be about the same intensity to rip to ISO vs MKV. A little faster with MakeMKV actually, since you're stripping out all the menu's, extras, etc. Though there are ISO ripping programs that allow you to do the same thing while ripping to ISO, I just happen to feel like having it as an MKV file will be more versatile.

If you have a ton of free HDD space, you could always rip to ISO as a permanent long term storage archive, then encode the ISO to MKV h.264 (making sure to enable deinterlacing) for your actual usable file.

I think I'll try the MKV version, then. Maybe I could experiment with it and get back to you guys later on.

MP4 and MKV seem like a personal choice, and with media streaming to IOS or Android, the content will have to be encoded for streaming anyways, if I use apps like Plex Media Server or other standards. From what I can tell though MP4 doesn't support the menus or various subtitles :/

Handbrake can rip to both ISO and MKV - I'll see which one is faster, and do that. ISO is simply a copy of the disk, so it'll keep the menus and all that.

They can without hardsubbing but they dont do that good of a job. What are you doing that you need aubtitles for? The only thing that would off hand everytime would be anime.

Well you would rip to ISO or folder, then encode to MKV or MP4.

AVI/H.263/DivX/XviD was what was mainly in mkv and it competing container ogm prior to H.246 becoming the standard.

Handbrake is made for encoding and transcoding. You would need something like DVD Decryptor or AnyDVD to do a full rip to drive like I was suggestion you do to use as a source.

Im saying without 3rd party software. Also is it using the GPU for decoding, which is way more efficient?

MKV is superior but is far less suporrted by hardware devices as its not reconised as ai mainstream format/container.

Handbrake if i recall automatically finds the main movie and you select what track you want to use from it. There are a bunch of very good guides for it. I would tell you how to do it myself but I havnt used that in probably 5 years myself, only helped other troubleshoot or explain certain things.

if he owns the discs, which I believe he does. There is no need for the ISo as long term as he has the discs.

I think I'll try the MKV version, then. Maybe I could experiment with it and get back to you guys later on.

MP4 and MKV seem like a personal choice, and with media streaming to IOS or Android, the content will have to be encoded for streaming anyways, if I use apps like Plex Media Server or other standards. From what I can tell though MP4 doesn't support the menus or various subtitles :/

Handbrake can rip to both ISO and MKV - I'll see which one is faster, and do that. ISO is simply a copy of the disk, so it'll keep the menus and all that.

mp4 vs MKV is not a personal choice but a device choice and a hardware support choice. As it all depends on what you all want to watch what your encoding on. MKV doesnt really have menu's... as for subtitle support its limited but for most general stuff that isnt a worry.

ISO will be quier as its just a direct copy of the disc which is not what you want, at least as a final file. the whole point of encoding is getting it down to a single files or folder of a few files for easy access. Unless you want to watch the DVDs like they are DVDs just without the disc you dont want the ISO as your final file.

They can without hardsubbing but they dont do that good of a job. What are you doing that you need aubtitles for? The only thing that would off hand everytime would be anime.

Well you would rip to ISO or folder, then encode to MKV or MP4.

AVI/H.263/DivX/XviD was what was mainly in mkv and it competing container ogm prior to H.246 becoming the standard.

Handbrake is made for encoding and transcoding. You would need something like DVD Decryptor or AnyDVD to do a full rip to drive like I was suggestion you do to use as a source.

Im saying without 3rd party software. Also is it using the GPU for decoding, which is way more efficient?

MKV is superior but is far less suporrted by hardware devices as its not reconised as ai mainstream format/container.

Handbrake if i recall automatically finds the main movie and you select what track you want to use from it. There are a bunch of very good guides for it. I would tell you how to do it myself but I havnt used that in probably 5 years myself, only helped other troubleshoot or explain certain things.

if he owns the discs, which I believe he does. There is no need for the ISo as long term as he has the discs.

mp4 vs MKV is not a personal choice but a device choice and a hardware support choice. As it all depends on what you all want to watch what your encoding on. MKV doesnt really have menu's... as for subtitle support its limited but for most general stuff that isnt a worry.

ISO will be quier as its just a direct copy of the disc which is not what you want, at least as a final file. the whole point of encoding is getting it down to a single files or folder of a few files for easy access. Unless you want to watch the DVDs like they are DVDs just without the disc you dont want the ISO as your final file.

I prefer having subs in my videos, and yeah. There'll be a few foreign movies, there, and a ton of anime. (My friends and i are huge anime watchers) but that would be mostly downloaded (.avi format)

I read that MKV is basically a container for a video format like avi or h.264. Hopefully H.265 comes out soon so I can use it :P

I don't think device support matters that much for now :/ It'll be read on mostly android or PC, (not even 100% sure about android, since I'll have to make a VPN and people would have to connect to it so I could use DLNA, etc)

I'm looking to throw away/donate away the CDs after I'm done, since the main purpose of this is to reduce the clutter from 100+ DVDs to 1 NAS box. There'll be RAID 5 for Redundancy and I don't think we'll really cry over it if we lose the data anyhow, so I won't need a backup of the ISOs at all.

I'll do some experimentation - and get back to you guys after. Maybe try 5 ISOs and seeing how long that takes, then 5 MKV encodes for comparison. 

Well IOS's will only take a couple of min as I said. Either way I would rip these as the source for doing your MKV's. As long as you choose the correct settings the encode should be substantially smaller but look just as good.