what is the main reason(s) why you prefer PC over console

asim1999

Probably because gaming is not a PC's main function nor the main reason I have one, yet they still do it better than consoles which are designed to play games from the ground up and not much else.

(unless you're talking casual fun with family/friends or on the go, in which case Nintendo still has the crown in my opinion.)

Better graphics, mouse-keyboard controls, modding, cheaper games in comparison, other uses of PC

But I never had console, so little biased towards PC now

Finally got PS4 Pro

Guaranteed 1080p to 4k resolution depending

60fps

Cheaper games/steam sales

Mods

Ability to use whatever controller i want

Instant load times

consoles too me are to restrictive, you have to put up with however the game is made, pc the possibilities are unlimited

I have a brain. 

3x Dell U2414H Triple Monitor Surround @ 5760x1080 / Corsair Obsidian 900D / ASUS ROG Z97 Maximus VII Hero / i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz / 2x EVGA SC GTX 780Ti SLI @ 1150MHz / 16GB GeiL DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz / 120GB Samsung 840 EVO / Corsair AX1200W PSU

Gallery: [1] [2] [3] - Fire Strike Score - Steam Profile

For me it's that I can customize a game to my needs. If my graphics card isn't powerful enough to max out a game I can lower the settings to improve the frame rate. With a console you're left with a take it or leave it option which normally favors just about anything over frame rate.

Everything. PC is better in every way.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

All dem pixels.

And the sexy hardware :P

"Since the Internet is almost diametrically opposed to the notion of Quality Control, in recent years it's been a lot easier to just assume everything's s**t until it can prove itself otherwise".  Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (2008)

For me it's that PC games usually have more.

There are so many custom TF2 maps available for play out there and you just have to download them from a server that rotates them. You would never know that looking at the console version.

Games have mods on PC.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

it used to be for me at least that it would run more stable on a console but nowadays i can play most gamnes with higher rez and higher fps on my desktop with a 545...

i am kinda dissapointed in this generation of consoles although i hope it will improve in the resolutions and framerate department

Because I'll be damned if I have to pay for a computer AND a game console. Get a computer, chuck a decent video card in there and you're done.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

First off... 

EVERYTHING IS BETTER IN THE PCMASTERRACE

secondly,

Everything else is significantly weaker and old technology in a year. 

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

biggest reason for me is I'm useless with a controller... need a keyboard and mouse

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

is it true that generally PC gamers are more mature and sensible ( not the stereotypical retarded teenager on console)? 

I find your question very interesting. Who or what made you think of this possibility?

I find it plausible given that most parents probably don't build their kids a pc but do buy them a console.

Stat pulled out of my...just what I noticed.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Everything.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

I used to tease my neighbor about owning a console.

"How does it feel that you, a grown ass man, went out and bought the same console and same game that your sister bought for her kid?"

"If you get a chick to come to your place, you're gonna hide that shit, right? You don't wanna scare her away with controllers and game boxes in the living room"

"You know that most console kids can't just turn it on and play online, they have to ask mom and dad to pay the online fee? Do you beg your parents to pay for you to play online or do you do it all by yourself?" 

He's a good sport though and took it in stride. He has a knack for sci fi so I demoed Star Citizen and he got all wide eyed. Even before he saw the game he was impressed with 1440p and that brought out the first misconception about PC:

"WOW, this must have cost a fortune" I had to break down the cost before he realized I spent under a $1000 for all of it. When I told him I mined $300-$350 worth of bitcoins with it he was all WTF and I even had to show paypal proof for coins sold.

I don't know if he'll convert or not which brings me to my final point: Console vs PC is a perception problem. PC is an order of magnitude more versatile and vastly different, that's why the comparisons don't work.

A computer is pretty much a necessity in today's society, and has been for a while now. If gaming is an interest, it only makes sense to account for it when planning to buy or planning to upgrade the existing one.

I have yet to see a gaming PC that can't do other tasks because of the gaming ability, if anything, a gaming PC excels at doing everything else.

I could finish the post right here but it's important to set boundaries for children and to have them confront the realities of life in a healthy way. It's no coincidence that everyone entering this forum is met by this disclaimer:

lttoyso3.jpg

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Linus has always been a PC fanboy he wouldnt be here like this ( and we wouldnt be here on this forum) if it wasnt for his interest in PC gaming 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I moved to PC because I save money. Because since my PC can't run any modern game even on lowest settings I don't  buy games often unless I can find a good deal like the bioshock bundle on sale. And with that saved money I can invest into a better cpu so I can finally play games at higher than 720p. Oh yeah and mods.  Though I miss the feel of the smooth movement and ease of use of the console controller.

Because PC's can do way more than game. Also a beefy gaming rig is also rather quick for the rest of the stuff.

Multi purpose not just for gaming and you can upgrade it down the road.

Desktop: i5 4670k, Z97-K, 16GB, MSI GTX 770, Evga 850G2, TT T31

Freenas Server: i3 4170, X10-SLL-F-O, Crucial 16GB UDIMM, 4x4TB WD Red, Evga 550GS, Fractal 804

Peripheral: K60, HyperX Cloud

Mobile: Nexus 6P 

Multi purpose not just for gaming and you can upgrade it down the road.

Desktop: i5 4670k, Z97-K, 16GB, MSI GTX 770, Evga 850G2, TT T31

Freenas Server: i3 4170, X10-SLL-F-O, Crucial 16GB UDIMM, 4x4TB WD Red, Evga 550GS, Fractal 804

Peripheral: K60, HyperX Cloud

Mobile: Nexus 6P