What Domain does what?

Hey Guys!

So I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to online domains and stuff so I need your help.

Some friends of mine and I are staring a small business and want to website and and business E-mail adresses.

So I looked for sites, where I could buy a domain for the E-mail adresses so that we could have our company name after the @.

But the only things I found were domains for websites (www.______.com).

So my question is, if the part between the www and the top level domain is the same as the part after the @.

If yes, where do I make the E-mail account with my newly bought domain?

Thanks in advance :)

-Simon

Hey Guys!

So I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to online domains and stuff so I need your help.

Some friends of mine and I are staring a small business and want to website and and business E-mail adresses.

So I looked for sites, where I could buy a domain for the E-mail adresses so that we could have our company name after the @.

So my question is, if the part between the www and the top level domain is the same as the part after the @.

-Simon

www.yoursite.com would give yourname@yoursite.com

where you make the email depends on where you rent your server space from, checking your hosts CP and the email sections also not all hosts allow for emails without extra cost, some give you one catch all email address or even allow for SMTP to send emails so you will want to double check that.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

In general, yes, the thing after the www is also what comes after the @ symbol. For example, one of my domains hazy125.com the email address would be something like hazy125@hazy125.com

As to where you make the email account, it depends on where you bought the domain name and what you bought it with. You might not be able to use email addresses with just a domain name because email addresses need POP/IMAP and SMTP stuff which may not be inclusive with your domain. You can usually check a box when buying domains to include email support or if you bought it as part of a hosting package, you would most likely be able to create email addresses through the Linux Cpanel or Plesk. But you may have restrictions on there too

EDIT: Oh, and https://godaddy.com/ is usually pretty fine as long as you don't host with them. So for buying a domain name and an email address, this will be fine. Search for your domain name and add to cart. On the next page it has  steps. Privacy protection, hosting and email. Definitely get privacy protection or have your personal info on the internet. As I said, godaddy pretty much sucks for hosting, so I would not do that. And check email. It's an extra $7AU a month or around that in your currency. If you want to host a website using that domain, I suggest looking at a different hosting company. They usually do hosting, domain name and email all bundles together. Unfortunately, I don't know any Austrian hosting companies, but if you're fine with US based ones, Bluehost and Hostgator do alright. I use Aussie ones so I can load my own sites faster, but they're not great

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I'd personally go with Namecheap.com, I find them to be a very good domain host and they have decent hosting costs. And yes www.<yourname>.com will give you omana@<yourname>.com or whatever .com/.net/.org etc tld extension you go with.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I'd personally go with Namecheap.com, I find them to be a very good domain host and they have decent hosting costs. And yes www.<yourname>.com will give you omana@<yourname>.com or whatever .com/.net/.org etc tld extension you go with.

Please no,  use Name.com.

Looking for a Programming Project take a look here!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

Hey Guys!

-Simon

A domain is basically a text address for what would otherwise be a 192.168.something.whatever IP address. In order for the domain to work, it has to point to the IP.

Also, please note that in 2001, the use of "www." was deprecated. Meaning you don't need that prefix. (all you need is http(s)://)

The email is easiest done with Google Apps, but you could also lookup online how to do one with your domain.

If you're looking to host a website on your own server, you will need to port-forward and use a service called Cloudflare (this forum uses it).

Cloudflare is a service that takes your website's IP and puts it through their "pass-through". So if you have a server running in your house, it's a good idea that you use it so no one can know where you live.

One more thing to note it if you have an email address with the domain, it to forward the emails to your main one. You can still reply with the business one.

A great place for buying domains is https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-name-search.aspx

If you have any questions let me know :)

I'm probably playing a game right now...

Like others have said, I think you should buy a domain with godaddy.com since they have pretty good prices and they have a good control panel. For email, I wouldn't buy it using godaddy. I would just buy the domain, then using zoho.com (https://www.zoho.com/mail/zohomail-pricing2.html) connect 10 free email accounts to your domain. I've done this before and I found it to be pretty good since you only had to pay for the domain. (And host for the actual website via something else, or if you host yourself...) But the email is free. But if you look at the link I gave you, 10 accounts can be registered for free using a domain you own or buy one on zoho.com.

Zoho.com has, if I remember correctly, quite good tutorials on how to connect the mxrecords to the correct places and so on. This way your server on godaddy will work with zoho's servers. So you shouldn't have too much trouble there either.

The only issue which is bad with zoho is if you want more than 10 accounts. But those 10 you get are free so its better than nothing. :)

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

don't buy email access from the people you buy your domain from. Use something free like zoho mail.

i want to die