Mini-ITX GPU cons?

Influencija

There are more and more GPUs made for mini ITX systems. They are smaller in size, and produce less heat. At first I didnt pay much attention to those because I thought they would be downclocked versions of real ones that produce more noise, but after reading few reviews I noticed they are not loud at all, and run at approximately same clock speeds as their normal system counterparts. Now comes what shocked me the most: thy cost the same!

So aside for their inability to overclock, and negligibly lower clock speeds, what is to stop one from putting mini GPU into their normal sized system?

Nothing really. They're just for smaller builds, you could put 3 Mini-ITX GPUs in a 900D if you wanted to.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

There's nothing stopping you from putting those cute little GPUs into a full sized system. Though I'm sure I can speak for quite a few people that it would probably look especially silly with such a small GPU in a mid-tower/full-tower case :lol:

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

The smaller cooler and fewer fans in theory would make it so the card wouldn't run as cool as one of the larger ones.

However, there are a lot of factors that play into that. So. Generally they're pretty close to the same.

I can't wait for Pascal. Small super cards galore.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Nothing really. They're just for smaller builds, you could put 3 Mini-ITX GPUs in a 900D if you wanted to.

ladies and gentlemen, the mind of ThatCoolBlueKidd.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

• the Maxwell Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Mini ITX shouldn't be as noisy  andit only uses a single 8[in  it should be perfect for most smaller ITX/mATX builds without sacrificing your storage spaces,

• the Maxwell Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Mini ITX shouldn't be as noisy andit only uses a single 8[in it should be perfect for most smaller ITX/mATX builds without sacrificing your storage spaces,
Shouldn't be as noisy as what? A potato?

Also, there is no correlation between noise and input power connectors.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

The Mini-ITX cards are great. The only downside may be lower overclocking potential due to a smaller heatsink, but Maxwell chips can already overclock really well even with a small heatsink because of the efficiency of the GPU architechture.

Shouldn't be as noisy as what? A potato?

Also, there is no correlation between noise and input power connectors.

ever heard of coil whine... like a whining baby....

I've heared coil whine but then again, just because its smaller doesnt mean it wont have coil whine.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

I've heared coil whine but then again, just because its smaller doesnt mean it wont have coil whine.

I never said it wo't have coil whine, I only said less chance of it having with itx ones because of the less power consumption used when people overclocking

I never said it wo't have coil whine, I only said less chance of it having with itx ones because of the less power consumption used when people overclocking

Its the same GPU. Can you explain to me why a smaller card will have lesser chance of coil whine and why will it consume less power compared to "full sized" 970s?

60FPS Microwave

I currently run an itx card in my midtower case :)

But mainly because old card died and needed some video card so I could have a running computer for my work and it was the most powerful card I could afford at the time 

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

Its the same GPU. Can you explain to me why a smaller card will have lesser chance of coil whine and why will it consume less power compared to "full sized" 970s?

if you have overclocked  and been hit with coil whine I don't even have to answer the questions

as you clock to higer clocks in the core clocks and memory clock you have to increase the power intakes (this is why I only clock my GPUs up to what the stock voltage can handle), so far the cards I've overclocked (not exseeding stock voltage) hasn't had coil whine so far.

afew time I noticed that some cards like the asus R9 290 may have coil whine when you push the cards way hard

if you have overclocked  and been hit with coil whine I don't even have to answer the questions

as you clock to higer clocks in the core clocks and memory clock you have to increase the power intakes (this is why I only clock my GPUs up to what the stock voltage can handle), so far the cards I've overclocked (not exseeding stock voltage) hasn't had coil whine so far.

afew time I noticed that some cards like the asus R9 290 may have coil whine when you push the cards way hard

It doesn't answer the question as to why an ITX graphics card would be less prone to coil whine and would consume less power than the same card that is regular sized

60FPS Microwave

It doesn't answer the question as to why an ITX graphics card would be less prone to coil whine and would consume less power than the same card that is regular sized

*face palm* because the itx version isn't as prone to overclock as high as the full size ones. as I understand asus/MSI's GTX 760 mitx gpu were lower clocked to their full sized ones just like gigabyte's GTX 970

*face palm* because the itx version isn't as prone to overclock as high as the full size ones. as I understand asus/MSI's GTX 760 mitx gpu were lower clocked to their full sized ones just like gigabyte's GTX 970

Prone. LOL. So overclocking is now a sort of a bad thing, an illness? j/k

That we'll see when they become available 

60FPS Microwave

overclocking isn't a bad thing but idiots that push it overboard is, I've see people for it too much

overclocking isn't a bad thing but idiots that push it overboard is, I've see people for it too much

What I made fun of was your choice of word not overclocking itself. Anyway its just a joke.

60FPS Microwave

What I made fun of was your choice of word not overclocking itself. Anyway its just a joke.

I know sadly  ao many good GPUs died for a good cause in bad idiotic hands lol

I wonder when well see these mini itx GTX 970's, I really want one, Gigabyte possibly this month? I thought I heard Asus in December?