Ethernet Cable Issue

Baowwedx
Go to solution Solved by alw1098,

Buy a network switch. 

So downstairs is my Modem/Router which only has one Ethernet port connected to the computer and the Modem/Router. My issue is that I want to connect the Modem/Router upstairs using a really long Ethernet cable, the problem as you can see the Modem/Router only has one port. Is there any device that i can connect the Modem/router to, to have more Ethernet ports? 

• 2 weeks later...

Get a wireless switch. You may never know that you need wireless. Leave the router where it is currently. With the long ethernet cable connected to the router, plug the switch on the other end upstairs where your computers are. And from there you can expand how many computers are connected.

So downstairs is my Modem/Router which only has one Ethernet port connected to the computer and the Modem/Router. My issue is that I want to connect the Modem/Router upstairs using a really long Ethernet cable, the problem as you can see the Modem/Router only has one port. Is there any device that i can connect the Modem/router to, to have more Ethernet ports? 

Are you sure you have a router? Sounds like its just the modem and not the modem/router combo. Check your ip address on the computer hooked up to it. if its not a 192.168 or 172.16 or a 10.something you are just getting a public ip and should get a little AIO wireless router/switch. Because you definitely dont want your personal pc hooked up straight to the internet that way without nat/pat working any sharing you may have enabled will show up on other computers hooked up that way as well.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Are you sure you have a router? Sounds like its just the modem and not the modem/router combo. Check your ip address on the computer hooked up to it. if its not a 192.168 or 172.16 or a 10.something you are just getting a public ip and should get a little AIO wireless router/switch. Because you definitely dont want your personal pc hooked up straight to the internet that way without nat/pat working any sharing you may have enabled will show up on other computers hooked up that way as well.

If a computer is getting a public IP address. Protocol APIPA will be in effect and its a windows feature only. If he did get a public IP address it will be 169.254.x.x 255.255.0.0.

If a computer is getting a public IP address. Protocol APIPA will be in effect and its a windows feature only. If he did get a public IP address it will be 169.254.x.x 255.255.0.0.

Thats not a public address, thats just an address windows defaults to when it doesnt find one on DHCP or it hasnt been configured manually.

Thats not a public address, thats just an address windows defaults to when it doesnt find one on DHCP or it hasnt been configured manually.

Beat me to it.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

I agree with the prior responses. Buy an ethernet switch or hub.

No hub, please. Those days years are long gone.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

edited. 

I agree with the prior responses. Buy an ethernet switch or hub.

Hubs are obsolete.