I Touched The Thermal Paste! D:

So I was unboxing my Corsair H110 - and because of the way it was shipped I pulled it out by the CPU block and the cover had fallen off it - leaving me contacting the thermal paste...

How crucial is this paste? Could I get away with having only slightly brushed it - or will it do bad things? I'm guessing the oils from skin won't do it any favours...

It's not that big of a deal unless you wiped most of it off. See how your temps are. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

How crucial is this paste? Could I get away with having only slightly brushed it - or will it do bad things? I'm guessing the oils from skin won't do it any favours...

You've now broken everything. You'll develop severe psychological trauma from this incident.

or you can go and buy a $5 Thermal paste tube on Amazon.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

It is fine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Its PROBABLY not a big deal.  But check it.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

In my experience, thermal paste stains your fingers worse than blackberries, and tastes worse than sharpie

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

In my experience, thermal paste stains your fingers worse than blackberries, and tastes worse than sharpie

Not only did you taste thermal paste, but also sharpie. Great scott.

fx 6300 - sapphire dual x r9 270x - Zalman z9 - Evga 500B - Cooler master hyper TX3 - Win. 8.1 - Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2.0 - Crucial ballstix sport 8gb (2x4) - WD blue 1TB - some random optical drive for 11$

I heard you're not supposed to touch TIM, is it bad for you or the computer?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

So I was unboxing my Corsair H110 - and because of the way it was shipped I pulled it out by the CPU block and the cover had fallen off it - leaving me contacting the thermal paste...

It is not good.  But it isn't awful.

I would buy some thermal paste from Amazon,

Prolimatech PK3 is very good, and only $7

01-Water-Cooling-High-Pressure.png

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

It is not good.  But it isn't awful.

I would buy some thermal paste from Amazon,

Prolimatech PK3 is very good, and only $7

Thanks,

Really comprehensive graph - and I will actually go for your suggestion.

Only problem is that amazon doesn't ship thermal paste to Australia. T.T

Kick your finger. Also remove it all and use something good like ic diamond 24

oh god you're gonna get ebola now

Yeah man, I heard you can get computer viruses from this stuff.

Congrats on getting an h110, welcome to the club. Get you some after market paste, the original paste is terrible

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

oh god you're gonna get ebola now

It shouldn't be too bad, try it yourself and see how it performs. If it made a big impact then just remove the cooler and clean and reapply thermal paste with something better

I'd do this, just see if the temps are fine or not. Better not to waste something if it might work fine. :)

Eat it.......

Probably shouldn't, especially silicone based sruff. Ew... xD

500 posts! WOOT WOOT! :wub:

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Lol haven't seen that Tek Syndicate video in quite a while.

Not only did you taste thermal paste, but also sharpie. Great scott.

Also black berries. Have you ever tasted a sour black berry?! I'd rather find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a thermal paste lollipop 

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

I am one for experiencing life to the fullest but eating TIM and sharpie? I am sure this is only a few of the odd things you put in your mouth or eat. On the upside you can get a job in the circus. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.