Windows 8.1 resets my custom settings, & some apps won't open

VG Docs
Go to solution Solved by TDP_Equinox,

No Xs anywhere. 

Hmmm...

Try making a new Admin User account and see if the settings still get reset.

I created a similar thread to this recently, but it didn't get a single response. In any case, I don't really think this would be double posting considering I now realize the issue's much larger than before.

Anyway, around the same time, I've noticed a few things with Windows 8.1 (that didn't happen when I first installed it) where it just seems to screw up at times.

1. Whenever I try to change the viewpoint in a folder (e.g. switching from "details" viewpoint to "large icons" viewpoint) it always resets back to the "details" viewpoint when I get back to that same folder. This has happened with all folders I've tried, and on both hard drives.

2. The time & date setting in the lower right corner is off by two hours. Every single time I change it to the correct time for my timezone. However, every single time I reboot, it resets to the same time zone it was at before.

3. I can't open any apps native to windows 8.1 except "PC Settings" in the charms bar, and Windows Store. The only reason why I can open these though, is because I found a "fix" to open the two up. Other than that though, the Games App, the games I installed with the games app, Google search, everything that's used with Windows 8.1 rather than the desktop fails to open. When I try, it looks like it will for a split second, giving a black screen, but then immediately closing/crashing. Also, the process is still there, I just can't go to it. Forcing the process to close and reopening doesn't work either.

4. If I try to install anything with windows store, it gives me error code 0x80070002.

5. This may or may not be relevant, but my Disk usage (every once in a while) will temporarily stay at 100% usage for 10-30 seconds (usually), and the performance & opening of applications within the desktop take forever to load up. I figure it could be connected because this never happened to me with Windows 7.

6. Windows Refresh simply doesn't work. I don't remember what it said when I tried it (it was a while back), but it gave an error twice in a row saying that it was unsuccesful.

Also, I'm not going to reinstall Windows. It sounds like a decent solution, but that's exactly what I did the first time some of these issues came up. Clearly, it didn't work for long. I've only had Windows 8.1 at all for a total of about a week and have already come across these issues. 

A couple other potentially important bits of information: I have two hard drives. Windows 8.1 is completely updated and I have all my drivers updated (other than realtek HD drivers, but those tend to cause a blue screen for some reason).

Windows 8.1 seems to be very smooth when it works... but sadly it seems to rarely work with me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I created a similar thread to this recently, but it didn't get a single response. In any case, I don't really think this would be double posting considering I now realize the issue's much larger than before.

Anyway, around the same time, I've noticed a few things with Windows 8.1 (that didn't happen when I first installed it) where it just seems to screw up at times.

1. Whenever I try to change the viewpoint in a folder (e.g. switching from "details" viewpoint to "large icons" viewpoint) it always resets back to the "details" viewpoint when I get back to that same folder. This has happened with all folders I've tried, and on both hard drives.

2. The time & date setting in the lower right corner is off by two hours. Every single time I change it to the correct time for my timezone. However, every single time I reboot, it resets to the same time zone it was at before.

3. I can't open any apps native to windows 8.1 except "PC Settings" in the charms bar, and Windows Store. The only reason why I can open these though, is because I found a "fix" to open the two up. Other than that though, the Games App, the games I installed with the games app, Google search, everything that's used with Windows 8.1 rather than the desktop fails to open. When I try, it looks like it will for a split second, giving a black screen, but then immediately closing/crashing. Also, the process is still there, I just can't go to it. Forcing the process to close and reopening doesn't work either.

4. If I try to install anything with windows store, it gives me error code 0x80070002.

5. This may or may not be relevant, but my Disk usage (every once in a while) will temporarily stay at 100% usage for 10-30 seconds (usually), and the performance & opening of applications within the desktop take forever to load up. I figure it could be connected because this never happened to me with Windows 7.

6. Windows Refresh simply doesn't work. I don't remember what it said when I tried it (it was a while back), but it gave an error twice in a row saying that it was unsuccesful.

Also, I'm not going to reinstall Windows. It sounds like a decent solution, but that's exactly what I did the first time some of these issues came up. Clearly, it didn't work for long. I've only had Windows 8.1 at all for a total of about a week and have already come across these issues. 

A couple other potentially important bits of information: I have two hard drives. Windows 8.1 is completely updated and I have all my drivers updated (other than realtek HD drivers, but those tend to cause a blue screen for some reason).

Windows 8.1 seems to be very smooth when it works... but sadly it seems to rarely work with me.

Anyone have any ideas?

I saw this once at work.

Do the apps in the start menu have little X's on them?

There were a few fixes, and none of them worked.

Such as going into the registry and replacing certain keys, etc.

Ultimately, we found malware on the pc, and we had to reload it because even a full removal left too many holes in the system for it to be fixed.

Scan your second drive, and then wipe the drive.

Don't use windows refresh, that causes the same issue.

something screws up the recovery and it reloads with the same issue.

Wipe it, and then install from a disk or USB.

Before installing anything, do updates, and get drivers.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

-Snipe-

Update: I did a scan on the HDD that was going at 100% and inadvertantly causing serious performance issues. It had bad sectors, and after that I decided to disconnect it to see what would happen. So far I've gone lag free with this current HDD. Apps still aren't working, and my customized settings are still changing, but at least it's an improvement. I do want to get these other issues solved, but I'd rather not reinstall again (I have a LOT of programs and important files. It takes so much time, effort, and slight risk just to reinstall the OS).

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Update: I did a scan on the HDD that was going at 100% and inadvertantly causing serious performance issues. It had bad sectors, and after that I decided to disconnect it to see what would happen. So far I've gone lag free with this current HDD. Apps still aren't working, and my customized settings are still changing, but at least it's an improvement. I do want to get these other issues solved, but I'd rather not reinstall again (I have a LOT of programs and important files. It takes so much time, effort, and slight risk just to reinstall the OS).

Are there little Black X's on the tiles of apps? If so, there is no way to fix that.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

Are there little Black X's on the tiles of apps? If so, there is no way to fix that.

No Xs anywhere. 

No Xs anywhere. 

Hmmm...

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Hmmm...

Wow, everything seems to be working like normal. The settings don't get reset (Still not entirely certain on time & date, haven't restarted yet, but all other settings don't get reset). Apps work like normal, now all I have to do is delete the other account and use transfer all the files to this account. Is there any easy way to do that? It seems that when I run some of the programs, their settings are reset to default. I'll change them all back if I have to, but I have a lot of programs xD

Wow, everything seems to be working like normal. The settings don't get reset (Still not entirely certain on time & date, haven't restarted yet, but all other settings don't get reset). Apps work like normal, now all I have to do is delete the other account and use transfer all the files to this account. Is there any easy way to do that? It seems that when I run some of the programs, their settings are reset to default. I'll change them all back if I have to, but I have a lot of programs xD

It could have been some weird ass setting in windows that was activated...

You can simply drag the user folder files over from your old one to the new one.

You will have to reconfigure your settings in some programs (some programs also only install for one user, most offer the option for all users) but other than that, it should be all good :D

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

It could have been some weird ass setting in windows that was activated...

You can simply drag the user folder files over from your old one to the new one.

You will have to reconfigure your settings in some programs (some programs also only install for one user, most offer the option for all users) but other than that, it should be all good :D

Okay, thanks. :)

Okay, thanks. :)

let me know if the clock issue is fixed too 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

let me know if the clock issue is fixed too 

Yeah, I restarted after reconnecting my microsoft account, and that works too. :D

Yeah, I restarted after reconnecting my microsoft account, and that works too. :D

Awesome! Mark the topic as solved please :)

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler