Is 4k a good buy for $600? Need help deciding "ultimate" monitor

So I'm planning a completely new build/set up and want to go all out ( no expense spared within reason). I will be getting a new monitor and after examining 1080p, 1440 and 4k it's apparent that at 4k the pixels are not visible (for me at least) and I would like to have that. However I have heard some negatives about 4k for a few monthes now.

Mostly that it can only do 60fps. What are the other drawbacks? I'm not a huge gamer so I dont think I need max fps. Is that the only situation where fps matters?

Also I noticed how small some of the text is and wondering if that is fixable? Do you think things (windows 8/10) will be more optimized for 4k in the next few months?

I really liked the ASUS PB287Q and its only $600, is this a good buy at that price? Other options include LG 21:9 34" monitor, 4k with g sync etc.)

Any help is apprectiated, this new computer is costing me upwards of $5000 and I would liek to make some smart buys.

I would either get the Acer XB280HK bprz, or the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

I know nothing about monitors.

However, you cna adjust text scaling and it's usually a good fix for whenever the text is too small.

Windows 10 does promise great text scaling, but we'll see.

I can't tell you how it is for windows 8/8.1, nor 7, because I only have 1080p monitors. However, Linus keeps saying that you need to reboot whenever you change the scaling.

So I'm planning a completely new build/set up and want to go all out ( no expense spared within reason). I will be getting a new monitor and after examining 1080p, 1440 and 4k it's apparent that at 4k the pixels are not visible (for me at least) and I would like to have that. However I have heard some negatives about 4k for a few monthes now.

Also I noticed how small some of the text is and wondering if that is fixable? Do you think things (windows 8/10) will be more optimized for 4k in the next few months?

Honestly I can't see pixels on my 19" 1440x900 monitor from 2 feet away. I'd go with an ultrawide (21:9) monitor cause it just works more seamlessly with Windows and games, and you don't have to worry about the nonsense with Windows and how it scales with 4K (terribly)

"Rawr XD"

I know nothing about monitors.

However, you cna adjust text scaling and it's usually a good fix for whenever the text is too small.

Windows 10 does promise great text scaling, but we'll see.

I can't tell you how it is for windows 8/8.1, nor 7, because I only have 1080p monitors. However, Linus keeps saying that you need to reboot whenever you change the scaling.

I believe I tried the text scaling on windows 8 when I was at fryes, It "works" but the text gets all blurry when scaled up ( in a aliasing sort of way)

I'd go with an ultrawide (21:9) monitor cause it just works more seamlessly with Windows and games, and you don't have to worry about the nonsense with Windows and how it scales with 4K (terribly)

I 100% agree with this! :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Honestly I can't see pixels on my 19" 1440x900 monitor from 2 feet away. I'd go with an ultrawide (21:9) monitor cause it just works more seamlessly with Windows and games, and you don't have to worry about the nonsense with Windows and how it scales with 4K (terribly)

Thats my 2nd choice but there was a couple things that i'm not sure on about the LG ultrawide. I have read alot of reviews that say that there is terrible light bleed in the corners, my other concern is that I would probably have  it in 2 way split most the time and it might be weird only looking at the left side of the monitor. Maybe I wouldn't mind though idk. It's also alot of desk space but I could live with that.

My other option is get a cheap $200 1080p monitor and wait for 4k to become more "usable" but since monitors are  what we are looking at all the time I would like the best experience possible.

with that budget i would get 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OKSEWL6/?tag=pcpapi-20

4k hasnt justified its self (well it has but software hasnt caught up yet)

That monitor definitly has some WOW factor but I just cant decide if I would like to live with the curve. In a split picture mode it might be kinda weird.

Thats my 2nd choice but there was a couple things that i'm not sure on about the LG ultrawide. I have read alot of reviews that say that there is terrible light bleed in the corners, my other concern is that I would probably have  it in 2 way split most the time and it might be weird only looking at the left side of the monitor. Maybe I wouldn't mind though idk.

My other option is get a cheap $200 1080p monitor and wait for 4k to become more "usable" but since its what we are looking at all the time I would like best experience possible.

That monitor definitly has some WOW factor but I just cant decide if I would like to live with the curve. In a split picture mode it might be kinda weird.

You do get used to it. It's just that you've never used an ultrawide before so it has a bit of a learning curve to it. If not though then maybe check out some good 1440p monitors like the BenQ BL2710PT

"Rawr XD"

Thats my 2nd choice but there was a couple things that i'm not sure on about the LG ultrawide. I have read alot of reviews that say that there is terrible light bleed in the corners, my other concern is that I would probably have  it in 2 way split most the time and it might be weird only looking at the left side of the monitor. Maybe I wouldn't mind though idk. It's also alot of desk space but I could live with that.

My other option is get a cheap $200 1080p monitor and wait for 4k to become more "usable" but since monitors are  what we are looking at all the time I would like the best experience possible.

i don have a curved monitor, but from reviews and my 3 screen setup i can see any downsides to the curve

I have the pb287q and I find that 60hz is plenty at this resolution. I have 2x gtx 780ti's in SLI just to maintain that in most games at ultra with low AA. Text can be fixed with the built in scaling in Windows 8.1. Better high dpi support is coming in Windows 10 coming out later next year. Colour reproduction and viewing angles is among the best I've seen on a tn panel. The stand is also really nice and sturdy. Personally, as nice as the high pixel count on this display is, I sort of feel like I should have bought the 34inch LG 21:9 1440p monitor since I don't game much and it would be better for desktop productivity with all that real estate.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop