Posted this over on Reddit but I think you guys would be a better help

I've decided to upgrade my GeForce GT 640 to a GTX 770. Now that I've made my decision I need to know if the other hardware is compatible or if there'd be anything wrong. I do however know I will quite possibly need a new case, so any recommendations for this setup would be great. Also debating whether to get the 2GB GTX 770 or the 4GB.

My Hardware:
3e6be06078.png
I also have this case, Alienware X51:
gallery-shot_desktops_x51_10.jpg
My power supply:
Yt9dOQV.jpg
If you have any questions please ask and I'll answer as quickly as I can.

I would get a gigabyte itx 970 card

I also hate how alienware calls it a gaming rig with a gt 640 wtf!!

240 w gpu limit i would buy a 750 ti you can not put a 770 in there unless you buy a better psu

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

you will be fine and get the corsair 200r

edit also upgrade your psu to an evga 500w psu but i have no idea what psu that is

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

The PSU is definitely the one that you should at least swap. I believe that you would have to swap your case too. Or maybe buy a mini-sized graphics card, Gigabyte has a new 970 coming.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

you will be fine and get the corsair 200r

edit also upgrade your psu to an evga 500w psu but i have no idea what psu that is

That doesn't make any sense. He already has an Alienware X51, and it uses an external power supply (like a laptop charger), which is what is in the picture.

"Rawr XD"

The PSU is definitely the one that you should at least swap. I believe that you would have to swap your case too. Or maybe buy a mini-sized graphics card, Gigabyte has a new 970 coming.

The PSU can't be upgraded, it uses an external power brick, like a laptop charger.

"Rawr XD"

Mmmm passion fruit, my favorite.

I mean, look for the mini gigabyte 970 that should be coming soon, and the PSU likely needs upgrading.

Linus is my fetish.

I've decided to upgrade my GeForce GT 640 to a GTX 770. Now that I've made my decision I need to know if the other hardware is compatible or if there'd be anything wrong. I do however know I will quite possibly need a new case, so any recommendations for this setup would be great. Also debating whether to get the 2GB GTX 770 or the 4GB.

Since that PC uses an external power brick you're very limited to what you can do in terms of upgrading. That PSU will not handle a 770. The highest I would upgrade to in that PC is an R9 270.

"Rawr XD"

The PSU can't be upgraded, it uses an external power brick, like a laptop charger.

Still has standard 24/8 pin connectors though by the looks.

And if he gets a new case to fit the GPU he can hit the PSU.

I was going to say, if I get a new case couldn't I also upgrade the power supply considering I could actually fit one inside of the new case?

Well that brings up cost by quite a bit, because now instead of just a GPU, a case and power supply also have to be bought.

"Rawr XD"

I was going to say, if I get a new case couldn't I also upgrade the power supply considering I could actually fit one inside of the new case?

Yes, since the motherboard seems to be just a standard Mini ITX board. However keep in mind the extra cost that comes with getting a new case and PSU on top of a new GPU.

"Rawr XD"

You sure could.

The motherboard is an ITX one by the looks. But even though it uses a Laptop charger "certified alienware PSU" it still has all the normal power connections

453684632_219.jpg

Well that brings up cost by quite a bit, because now instead of just a GPU, a case and power supply also have to be bought.

I'm fine with buying the case and power supply

Well that's pretty unavoidable if he wants to get something like 770.

I'm fine with buying the case and power supply

Oh okay. Well we could suggest some options but that'd depend on how much you're willing to spend.

"Rawr XD"

Oh okay. Well we could suggest some options but that'd depend on how much you're willing to spend.

Well, considering I'm probably going to go with the 4GB 770 that's $360 on newegg. I'm trying to stay under $450-$500

Ah, did not notice that. 

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

Well, considering I'm probably going to go with the 4GB 770 that's $360 on newegg. I'm trying to stay under $450-$500

For $360 you could get a 970.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

"Rawr XD"

Well holy shit. I might go with the 970 based off of that. What's the cheapest 770 4gb you can find?

The cheapest 4GB 770 I can find is $300, but at that point you'd be crazy not to go for this $250 R9 290  (holy shit that's cheap for a 290, and those IceQ X2 coolers are great too)

"Rawr XD"

Well holy shit. I might go with the 970 based off of that. What's the cheapest 770 4gb you can find?

2 GB GTX 770's should be around the $250 range right now. 4 GB versions no longer have a place in the market from what I can see. If you want a 4 GB card (and that's not a bad idea), the cheapest one I could recommend would be an R9 290 for $300 or less. But the GTX 970 for $330-350 is worth the extra.

Edit: ^^^ An R9 290 for $250 is a spectacular deal.

2 GB GTX 770's should be around the $250 range right now. 4 GB versions no longer have a place in the market from what I can see. If you want a 4 GB card (and that's not a bad idea), the cheapest one I could recommend would be an R9 290 for $300 or less. But the GTX 970 for $330-350 is worth the extra.

Edit: ^^^ An R9 290 for $250 is a spectacular deal.

The cheapest 4GB 770 I can find is $300, but at that point you'd be crazy not to go for this $250 R9 290  (holy shit that's cheap for a 290, and those IceQ X2 coolers are great too)

So, what's the consensus here based off of my hardware

Case?

PSU?

GPU?

So, what's the consensus here based off of my hardware

Case?

PSU?

GPU?

Get that HIS 290, a Rosewill Capstone 550W and for the case... whatever you like. Look around for something you think looks nice and fits your budget.

"Rawr XD"