Reasons for sudden increase in ping, packet loss and speed tank...? Any help/ideas please.

So I was playing a little bit of war thunder earlier and the network was sitting pretty at about 2Mb/s ping to game server around 47ms and only about 3% packet loss. Since I started renting this house (which I only found out after wasn't in a "fibre zone" even though houses further down the street can get it :-S so the best I've seen so far is about 3.5Mb/s but really inconsistent) those are fairly good figures (unfortunately).

Anyway, suddenly the speeds tanked to some immeasurably small value and the ping skyrocketed to 4.5 seconds, SECONDS!!! :o And had 75% packet loss. It stayed like this for about 10mins before returning to playable speeds. As far as I know there wasn't a spike in use within our house, 1 other person playing games and 1 doing some light web browsing and fb etc. no video or anything intensive. So what the heck happened?

And this is a common occurrence in the past few weeks I've been here, almost daily and its not even peak times (at least i don't think 9:30 on a Saturday counts as peak time). I'm running wifi (unfortunately, as I am trying to figure out the best way to run a cable to my office from the router 2 floors below) but there is no other traffic that i know of on the 5GHz band that i'm currently on, even the 2.4 band looks far from saturated. Is this an ISP thing? We have unlimited internet (even if the speeds we get are dead slow), so we can't be running into a cap or anything. But I am struggling to think what would cause a ping be 4.5 seconds...

Maybe I should start sending my packets via carrier pigeon, sometimes it seems it would be faster that way! Thanks for any suggestions you could offer as to what might be causing this.

EDIT:  Ok I've just had the same problem again though this time I saw ping spikes up to 7 seconds.

EDIT:  Ok I've just had the same problem again though this time I saw ping spikes up to 7 seconds.

Somtimes I've gotten 35K ping spikes.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

What type of internet do you have? DSL? Cable?

What you need to do is plug in directly to the router directly and do some of your normal activites to see if the problems till persists. If it doesn't happen anymore, then it could be your wifi. The channel and band might not have anything to do with it, I've seen some wireless adapters just not work very well.

If the problem does happen when hard wired, then the problem is either your modem, the wiring in the house, or on the ISP's end.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Was it a persistent problem?

No.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)