khan academy vs code academy and c++ vs unity vs java vs python

themaniac

i have 2 questions my first one is

1. what is better for learning coding Khan academy or Code academy

and 

2. which language would you recommend for a beginner for making games C++, Unity, Java, or Python

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Unity is not a language. You can use Javascript or C# in Unity3D

By the way, if you are really a beginner you should start with GameMaker.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

For a beginner language nothing beats python. But depending on what kinds of games you are trying to make, unity (c#) or unreal engine (c++) might be a better choice.

I suggest starting with python and pygame for a couple years until you understand how to code, then move to c++.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Unity is not a language. You can use Javascript or C# in Unity3D

oh i thought it was a langauge ok than C++, Java, or Python

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

For a beginner language nothing beats python. But depending on what kinds of games you are trying to make, unity (c#) or unreal engine (c++) might be a better choice.

I suggest starting with python and pygame for a couple years until you understand how to code, then move to c++.

ok

Spoiler

LYNDA.COM IS A GREAT PLACE FOR CODE TUTORIALS AND MORE AND YOU CAN GET FREE 7 DAY TRIAL AT LYNDA.COM/WANSHOW

On a more serious note, I have tried both of those and I prefer code academy, but they are pretty similar.

I can not answer the second question, I am a coding noob.

1. youtube and yourself. you can only teach yourself as much as you want to learn.

if you really want an interactive coding tutorial, try both of them out and see which is the best for you. 

2. if you want to make mobile games -- java, anything else -- C++. as far as I know Unity isn't a language, but it does have a script that is based off C#. if you want to understand Unity more, C# is your best choice

ok

Spoiler

LYNDA.COM IS A GREAT PLACE FOR CODE TUTORIALS AND MORE AND YOU CAN GET FREE 7 DAY TRIAL AT LYNDA.COM/WANSHOW

On a more serious note, I have tried both of those and I prefer code academy, but they are pretty similar.

I can not answer the second question, I am a coding noob.

ok

Spoiler

By the way, if you are really a beginner you should start with GameMaker.

I 100% disagree with this.

Learn c or something so you can actually understand how memory works. I wouldn't recommend c++ for a beginner, there are a lot of little things that can be confusing. C# is alright for learning, but it never gave me a good sense of what's going on in the code with pointers and things. It's also very hard to optimize because you have to know a lot about the .net code library to do it. For example if you have a List, what's the time complexity of inserting at the front vs the back? Who can answer that without having read the MSDN documentation?

I 100% disagree with this.

Learn c or something so you can actually understand how memory works. I wouldn't recommend c++ for a beginner, there are a lot of little things that can be confusing. C# is alright for learning, but it never gave me a good sense of what's going on in the code with pointers and things. It's also very hard to optimize because you have to know a lot about the .net code library to do it. For example if you have a List, what's the time complexity of inserting at the front vs the back? Who can answer that without having read the MSDN documentation?

I think GameMaker is good for beginners as you can learn the basics of programming in it.

You don't actually program in it, but use lines (which you have to half fill in) which give you a grasp of what  you have to do when you actually program.

(You learn stuff like if and while and stuff like that).

After you've done that you can start working on C and C# because you actually get what you are doing and you're not just following tutorials and looking up answers on Stackoverflow

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I think GameMaker is good for beginners as you can learn the basics of programming in it.

You don't actually program in it, but use lines (which you have to half fill in) which give you a grasp of what  you have to do when you actually program.

After you've done that you can start working on C and C# because you actually get what you are doing and you're not just following tutorials and looking up answers on Stackoverflow

I played around with game maker a lot when I was younger. Didn't even remotely help me learn to program.

Learning C# in a course wasn't particularly helpful either. Once I decided to learn C, I actually understood what my code was doing.

IMO, the only way to do it really is play around with the language until you understand what you're doing.

I played around with game maker a lot when I was younger. Didn't even remotely help me learn to program.

Learning C# in a course wasn't particularly helpful either. Once I decided to learn C, I actually understood what my code was doing.

IMO, the only way to do it really is play around with the language until you understand what you're doing.

GameMaker helped me quite a bit, though. Learning what decreasing the speed to 0 does, or -1 so you go backwards. That made me understand it a bit.

ActionScript3 helped me even more with understanding that, but I still am very much a noob. 

I understand your opinion, but I do very much feel like GamerMaker and C# (ie; in Unity3D) are a great start.

I agree with Art Vandelay. Programs like GameMaker don't really teach too much game development. It shows you that games are made of graphics that have "rules(?)" assigned to them.

I've modded games before jumping straight into C++, now I'm among best in the class. Everyone got there somehow, and I can fully recommend jumping straight into deep waters.

I agree with Art Vandelay. Programs like GameMaker don't really teach too much game development. It shows you that games are made of graphics that have "rules(?)" assigned to them.

I've modded games before jumping straight into C++, now I'm among best in the class. Everyone got there somehow, and I can fully recommend jumping straight into deep waters.

Well I started with GameMaker a bit and I'm among the best of my class at stuff like ActionScript3 C# (In Unity).

We have different opinions.

Well I started with GameMaker a bit and I'm among the best of my class at stuff like ActionScript3 C# (In Unity).

We have different opinions.

So you're working with a tool, I'm focusing on creating that tool. It's simply two different sections of development. I hated GameMaker because of how limiting it was in your creativity. It's like trying to make a flash game in Scratch.

I enjoy creating things that make creating other things fabulously easy. My guess is that you enjoy creating the content your customer interacts with.

Python -> C++ -> Java

If you are going to learn, download some books. Books will forever be your best resource to learn something.