First time overclocking

Hello there fellow LTT'ers.

I am currently trying to overclock for the first time, and i am worrying over the results that i am getting. (Mostly because they exceed my limited expectations)

I am allready up to a overclock of 4600mhz, at a Core voltage of 1.295.

It is done with a phanteks ph-tc12dx cooler.

My current temps are going anywhere from 56 - 71 decrees celcius, when running a AIDA64 System stability test. doing about 10 minutes before going a tad bit higher multiplier (just about the same when running cinebench, CPU benchmark.)

What am i looking for in terms of stability before going on?

I currently plan on maxing out my voltage at around  1.3 - 1.33 depending on my temps.

Are there better ways to test the temperature than the one i am using, and what are your general words of advice?

AIDA is fine as a stability test, but what is the CPU in question?

In terms of stability? Just play some games and then run AIDA. If it stays stable, you're good.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Haha, might be a good piece of information to give, sorry

It is a I5 4790K

I would say you are just about at your thermal limit with your current OC. The maximum temp you want to see for that CPU is 74c

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

hmm. CPU-Z says that i am running a Core Voltage of 1.312, even though i put 1.295 in the bios and put it to Manual mode.

But now running stress test on 4.7Ghz, temps starting fine

It is a I5 4790K

i7 4790K or i5 4690K ? ;)

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

i7 4790K or i5 4690K ? ;)

Sorry i must have put on my stupid goggles today, (or i am too hyped at my early results.

That would be a i5 4690K

Hmm. Run into a problem.

The system seems to be able to run at 4.8, however my memory clock is all the way down at 933Mhz even though i put it at the xmp profile of 1866Mhz in the bios.

Anyone know what can be causing this?

Hmm. Run into a problem.

The system seems to be able to run at 4.8, however my memory clock is all the way down at 933Mhz even though i put it at the xmp profile of 1866Mhz in the bios.

Anyone know what can be causing this?

DDR stands for double data rate 933 X 2 = 1866

DDR stands for Double data rate 933*2=1866

Just to be sure, so in other words, when CPU-Z (Or other methods) refer to my ram being at 933Mhz, it is just perfect?

I can see in the bios that it says Max Bandwith = DDR3-1865(932MHZ) So we are all good?

If so, then yay, time for long term stability testing at 4.8Ghz on the CPU

Just to be sure, so in other words, when CPU-Z (Or other methods) refer to my ram being at 933Mhz, it is just perfect?

I can see in the bios that it says Max Bandwith = DDR3-1865(932MHZ) So we are all good?

If so, then yay, time for long term stability testing at 4.8Ghz on the CPU

yep

yep

Thats great. Thank you :) Always good to be a noob at some things.

I will let the system test itself then. for a good 12 hours or so.

Thats great. Thank you :) Always good to be a noob at some things.

I will let the system test itself then. for a good 12 hours or so.

4.8ghz is good for that voltage

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

4.8ghz is good for that voltage

Yeah i am  quite happy with it. Especially since it is on air.

But i am a tiny bit worried about the temps i am getting.

I see that the max temp is hitting 86 degrees, but mainly the temps are in the high 70's.

However. i think that the factori installed fans in this case (Corsair Carbide Spec-03) Might both be pulling air in.

So will have a look at that monday.

Is that temperature completely bad (When running a Aida64 stability test) or should it be fine?

Will run some games, and normal workload monday, to see how that temps will be then.

Yeah i am  quite happy with it. Especially since it is on air.

But i am a tiny bit worried about the temps i am getting.

I see that the max temp is hitting 86 degrees, but mainly the temps are in the high 70's.

However. i think that the factori installed fans in this case (Corsair Carbide Spec-03) Might both be pulling air in.

So will have a look at that monday.

Is that temperature completely bad (When running a Aida64 stability test) or should it be fine?

Will run some games, and normal workload monday, to see how that temps will be then.

is it 86c just on one hot core or all of them?

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I would say you are just about at your thermal limit with your current OC. The maximum temp you want to see for that CPU is 74c

Not even 74C. At least 85C benching. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

is it 86c just on one hot core or all of them?

Only one core has hit 86, the others are 84, 82 and 79

But it needs to be said that only very rarely hit that temps. When watching them they are in the high 70's (76-79) and then have short spikes higher

Only one core has hit 86, the others are 84, 82 and 79

But it needs to be said that only very rarely hit that temps. When watching them they are in the high 70's (76-79) and then have short spikes higher

that is fine then, they will never get that hot in games

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Just had someone check up on the test(had to leave)

The computer has shutdown but I am not able to find the cause before Monday.

It had been running for about 2 hours