Should I buy a Wii U?

SnowGhost

It's the only console I really want. The other 2 I have no desire for. 

Their will probably be a Wii U emulator soon

Why would you want to emulate it when you can buy it? It's not a NES, you can find these anywhy.

Because your paying what 40 quid for a game that looks better on pc and you don't need to use that silly controller, thats why! btw i'm not a pirate lol i buy all my games that are on pc, just i'm not paying 200 for console plus 40 for a game, i'm not even that keen on when i can get it free

I'm getting them for the smashbro (been liking this since I played it on gamecube)

:) never bought a wii but I plan on getting the wiiu just for that game and other mario games.

Live your life like a dream.

Because your paying what 40 quid for a game that looks better on pc and you don't need to use that silly controller, thats why! btw i'm not a pirate lol i buy all my games that are on pc, just i'm not paying 200 for console plus 40 for a game, i'm not even that keen on when i can get it free

What do you mean you're "not a pirate"? That's exactly what you're suggesting and there's no reason for it at all. I'm all for defending the reasons why piracy exists when there's limited availability in your country or when rights holders are dicks. But for a console? One that's easy to get your hands on that has a decent digital storefront? There's no reason for piracy. Just pay the people who created the content if you want to enjoy that content. Because they actually let you pay them for it with no delays, almost zero restrictions and at a reasonable rate.

As for it looking better on PC through an emulator. I doubt it. The Wii emulator took until near the end of the Wii's life to work with most games at a reasonable quality. Even now it's not 100% even with some older gamecube games. Not to mention that even to run some of the more intensive Wii games you need something like an i5 to get a decent framerate. And that's just for the Wii, the Wii U is not powerhouse but even it is orders of magnitude more powerful again. So I'd assume you'd need something pretty high end to get Wii U games running even if they did have a working emulator.

Oh, and that "silly controller". Yeah, you'd also need to get that running somehow. It's just a standard controller with a screen on it but how many of them can you just buy off the shelf. That'll make things hard. So what, you'll also need a tablet PC as well as software for it that lets it behave like a GamePad? Or maybe a touch screen monitor and just play the games a bit awkwardly? At which point... why aren't you just paying the people who actually put the R&D into the system itself? Not only would you be actually paying them but it'll work 100% of the time and once you've got the high end CPU and the second screen it'll likely be cheaper.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

What do you mean you're "not a pirate"? That's exactly what you're suggesting and there's no reason for it at all. I'm all for defending the reasons why piracy exists when there's limited availability in your country or when rights holders are dicks. But for a console? One that's easy to get your hands on that has a decent digital storefront? There's no reason for piracy. Just pay the people who created the content if you want to enjoy that content. Because they actually let you pay them for it with no delays, almost zero restrictions and at a reasonable rate.

As for it looking better on PC through an emulator. I doubt it. The Wii emulator took until near the end of the Wii's life to work with most games at a reasonable quality. Even now it's not 100% even with some older gamecube games. Not to mention that even to run some of the more intensive Wii games you need something like an i5 to get a decent framerate. And that's just for the Wii, the Wii U is not powerhouse but even it is orders of magnitude more powerful again. So I'd assume you'd need something pretty high end to get Wii U games running even if they did have a working emulator.

Oh, and that "silly controller". Yeah, you'd also need to get that running somehow. It's just a standard controller with a screen on it but how many of them can you just buy off the shelf. That'll make things hard. So what, you'll also need a tablet PC as well as software for it that lets it behave like a GamePad? Or maybe a touch screen monitor and just play the games a bit awkwardly? At which point... why aren't you just paying the people who actually put the R&D into the system itself? Not only would you be actually paying them but it'll work 100% of the time and once you've got the high end CPU and the second screen it'll likely be cheaper.

What are you even going on about, there was zero suggestion in that post that he pirates anything.

No, the games look infinitely better on PC.

The controller is awful in my opinion, but that's preference.

Hi all,

So basically: I'm fed up with games on PC not working and Smash Bros looks balls to the walls amazing. Don't get me wrong, I'm a PC gamer as far as PC gaming goes (I own nearly 300 steam titles and have finished a respectable amount of them). So, Wii U's aren't that expensive compared to other consoles and there lineup is really pretty solid. Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 1/2, Rayman Legends, Child of Light and Wind Maker HD all look amazing. Now, the catch is the games are all god damn expensive. But then again, if I buy a Wii U with super smash bros a gamecube adapter and some controllers thats less than the cost of my graphics card, for a 1080p 60fps experience that I know is going to last me 100s of hours. So, do you guys think it is worth it?

Let me know,

SnowGhost

Hell no. It is the worst console, ever. Like ever, ever. IMO. -Astro

What are you even going on about, there was zero suggestion in that post that he pirates anything.

No, the games look infinitely better on PC.

There was more than one post, read the third in context. Also yes versions of games that are also on PC will look better on PC but you don't buy a console to play PC games when you have a PC. But the post wasn't about ports. The post was about emulating games. Because context.

Compelling argument. 

Give me reasons and let me say that I don't want this to be instead of my PC experience I want a console to compliment my PC experience. Now, explain.

• 2 weeks later...

Tbf like i said i buy all my pc games, nintendo games rarely interest me so i'm not going to pay 200 plus 40 per game for games i won't enjoy, i just try them out, i've tried so hard to get into zelda

Tbf like i said i buy all my pc games, nintendo games rarely interest me so i'm not going to pay 200 plus 40 per game for games i won't enjoy, i just try them out, i've tried so hard to get into zelda

It's not an excuse. And again, I say this as someone who is very vocal about the "anti-piracy" BS that goes on. Particularly in regions where there are distribution, timing and pricing barriers. If you think the price is too high even with their perfectly accessible distribution model which includes a digital store front then don't play the games. What if the tables were turned? What if you were talking about pirating PC games and you justified it by saying it's "ok" because you own a 3DS and a legit copy of Pokemon. Not cool.

I'm not going to buy a game i know i won't enjoy, especially the rip of prices nintendo charge, i just try them, you do realise most people pirate pc games as they do console games, your opinion won't change my mind, oh yeh why would i pay 40 quid when i can play it on pc in 1080p at 60fps? i always go for the best version over the crappy outdated wii graphics at 30fps

Like I said i buy all my pc/ ps3 games, as well as my 3DS games, i'm not paying 40 quid for a version when i can get a better experience on pc through emulator

I'm not going to buy a game i know i won't enjoy, especially the rip of prices nintendo charge, i just try them, you do realise most people pirate pc games as they do console games, your opinion won't change my mind, oh yeh why would i pay 40 quid when i can play it on pc in 1080p at 60fps? i always go for the best version over the crappy outdated wii graphics at 30fps

Yes I realise people pirate PC games in the same way that there's piracy across almost everything. Doesn't excuse it because again distribution is pretty decent for games across all platforms. Also if the game is so crap then don't play it at all. If you DO like the game which is apparently the case if you're actually bothering to play them then support the developers. No excuse.

Anyways, the fact that you're saying "crappy outdated wii graphics at 30fps" suggests to me that you don't even know what the Wii U is. So why comment at all? Clearly you are a scumbag who has NFI what they're talking about.

I would buy one just for MarioKart I had loads of fun with my original wii. Mostly installing exploits to run home-brew apps.

Not sure if you can do that on the wii u.. 

On topic: Especially with Super Smash Bros. coming out, it's definitely worth it.

Mini-ITX Build (unnamed)

Case: SilverStone SG07B-W Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-I CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K GPU: Integrated HD 3000 Cooler: Stock RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB (8GB) DDR3 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX600 Keyboard: Cheap Dell Keyboard (although has withstood 8 years of use) Mouse: Logitech G300 Headset: Logitech H110 OS: Windows 8.1 (64-bit) 

Phone: HTC One (m7) running ViperOne 8.0.0 (Android 5.0.2 Lollipop)

I would buy one just for MarioKart I had loads of fun with my original wii.

It definitely is. Also on that note the first batch of DLC is due in the next day or so.

http://youtu.be/WseR5h3zMs8?t=1m34s

Given the crap we're seeing out of Ubisoft, here's another reason in support of Nintendo's platform. Nintendo delays games, this is a good thing. From 2011:

"Iwata also worried that the idea of craftsmanship in game design has begun to falter as game projects have become more expensive and complicated productions. He worried that the ability to fully polish a game before release is increasingly falling by the wayside"

source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/123737/GDC_2011_Nintendos_Iwata_On_Design_Lessons_Social_Mobile_Risks.php

Nintendo has something that most studios don't do. High level of attention to details, and polish.

If you don't like Nintendo games, you can't deny the high level of polish applied to them. Nintendo still act like back in the old days, where a game has to be perfect, because once released, it can be patched (cartridge based games)

First current gen system of the 3 I picked up. Mostly for MK8(with Wind Waker d/l), but Zombie U, Bayonetta1/2 combo, and the fact it is BACKWARD COMPATIBLE is just awesome. Picked up a PS4 last week(TLOU/COD:AW bundle deal, with store discount boom!). Wii U in bed is awesome on the tablet thingy, works so well. Streaming to the Vita works damn good too, but the screen size and proper control setup on the Wii U tablet trumps it hard. 

If you have a gaming PC of any sort, get a Wii U, the multi platform games will still be on PC, but there is something about good ole N's first party stuff.

This is something I am currently struggling with myself.  I am not really a huge fan of Nintendo first party games, but I am willing to give them another shot.  I prefer the types of games that come out on PS4, XB1 and PC.  As for non-core Nintendo titles -- Bayonetta 2 and Monster Hunter look the most appealing to me so far. 

Also, is the WiiU a good single-player experience?  I don't have a lot of freinds/family that play games that are in close proximity, so would I be bored to tears?

200 USD refurb straight from Nintendo is pretty darn appealing, but the above concerns are my stumbling block at this point.

"Yet another stands before us... Then so be it. For the curse of life, is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."