My network adapter dead?

the pokemon kid

Hey guys,

Woke up this morning and turned my computer on to find that the network adapter was not getting an network/ internet connection. ( It was working 8 hours previously). It is saying " A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken" also I am getting no lights on the External side of the port as you would normally see a flashing green and amber light.

I have ran a few tests to still no avail which is kind of annoying! I have an Asus Sabertooth Z87 motherboard.

What I have done so far:

1. Checked the ethernet cable is fine and even tried a different, also working ethernet cable. (tested both on the laptop I am on now) 
  2. Tried a different port on my router and then tried a different port on the switch which is attached to the router.
  3. Turned the router on and off and had a look to see if anything was blocking it.
  4. Unistalled the latest network drivers for the motherboard and reinstalled them.
  5. Unistalled the latest network drivers for the motherboard and reinstalled the next most recent drivers.
  6. powered the computer down for 30 minutes with the CMOS battery unplugged.
  7. Turned off the overclock I had on the computer.
  8. Checked the BIOS settings to make sure it the network adapter wasn't turned off in the BIOS.
  9. Turned the firewall off also to check it wasn't that

One thing that has struck me is that im not getting the normal tactile click when plugging my ethernet cable into the port as I dont with all my other ports on other devices...

What else can I do to try and solve this issue? or is the Nic simply dead and I should buy a PCI Nic card?

First try updating/reinstalling your LAN controller's driver. Go here and select your OS, find correct drivers, download and install. Also check on Intel's site if there are any updates to that driver (Intel® I217V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)) that are not appearing on the Asus site Here , also be sure to select the correct OS on Intel's site. What I gave you a link to is for software and drivers for your controller on any OS so be careful what you download.

Maybe try to find some older drivers also to see if those work. I had very similar problem as you have with killer 2200 on MSI z87 gd65 when it got the notification that the cable is not pluged in and no lights were outside the port and none of the drivers worked. It stopped working because I updated the drivers and I solved it by downgrading them again since nothing else I did worked at all. Since that I havent tried any new drivers because I dont want to deal with that crap again :/

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

First try updating/reinstalling your LAN controller's driver. Go here and select your OS, find correct drivers, download and install. Also check on Intel's site if there are any updates to that driver (Intel® I217V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)) that are not appearing on the Asus site Here , also be sure to select the correct OS on Intel's site. What I gave you a link to is for software and drivers for your controller on any OS so be careful what you download.

Maybe try to find some older drivers also to see if those work. I had very similar problem as you have with killer 2200 on MSI z87 gd65 when it got the notification that the cable is not pluged in and no lights were outside the port and none of the drivers worked. It stopped working because I updated the drivers and I solved it by downgrading them again since nothing else I did worked at all. Since that I havent tried any new drivers because I dont want to deal with that crap again :/

Done the first part multiple times but has not worked, Also already tried downloading the older drivers. That didnt work either...

I went to the intel website and there was newer drivers which I installed.. That also didn't work. I am thinking I might have to RMA the motherboard, which is a bit shit as I have literally just finished installing the watercooling loop in the computer... I have sent an email to the Asus customer services so hopefully it can all be sorted out.

Done the first part multiple times but has not worked, Also already tried downloading the older drivers. That didnt work either...

I went to the intel website and there was newer drivers which I installed.. That also didn't work. I am thinking I might have to RMA the motherboard, which is a bit shit as I have literally just finished installing the watercooling loop in the computer... I have sent an email to the Asus customer services so hopefully it can all be sorted out.

Too bad to hear that, sounds like you have some work to do....hopefuly you'll get a new MB, it would be a shame if you wouldnt :/

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

Too bad to hear that, sounds like you have some work to do....hopefuly you'll get a new MB, it would be a shame if you wouldnt :/

Well I hope everything goes smoothly. I have to drain my loop to get the MB out though...

This happened to me a few months ago. After trying a bunch of things after going through forums, I decided that it was probably a hardware issue. Instead of RMA-ing my motherboard, I bought a PCI ethernet card. I installed it, plugged in the ethernet cord, and boom it works instantly.

So, it's not a free solution, but it worked for me.

This happened to me a few months ago. After trying a bunch of things after going through forums, I decided that it was probably a hardware issue. Instead of RMA-ing my motherboard, I bought a PCI ethernet card. I installed it, plugged in the ethernet cord, and boom it works instantly.

So, it's not a free solution, but it worked for me.

I have bought a USB one and a few cheap ones as I need them for my file server anyways. So I am going to install it for the time being. My machine is pretty simplistic and I dont want to start letting it grow organically... Plus the motherboard is still within warranty so would prefer them to fix something that went wrong...

Try cleaning the port with a vacuum cleaner. It helped me multiple times with the same problem. (cable unplugged)

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware