What did you like about old computers

asim1999

I liked that they lasted longer. You get a computer today, and it either dies within a year 2, or its outdated. Which is good for me, I go to the recycling center and get decent parts to sell and use. :)

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

The BIOS beep. The most recent PC I have that does that is from 2011.

CRT monitors. There is something special about them. Sure they are dangerous, heavy, and have a high pitched starting up noise (I have really sensitive ears). But I used a HP 17" 2001 CRT until the screen started spazzing and there was a burning smell. RIP CRT. My parents still have a CRT TV though, used as daily driver. It's a JVC from the late 90's.

Wavetable/FM synthesis soundcards. Sadly most modern sound cards don't have a FM (emulation) chip or even MIDI wavetable. I used to love to listen to various MIDI's with different wavetables.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Nothing tbh.

i understand, since u are using a high-end laptop. Well the classic feel of a desktop and the thrill of starting it up cant be mirrored by todays custom rigs. for example, i can get onto my desktop within 30 seconds ( including typing in long password)

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Nostalgia... That's about it. Every time I think about going back and booting up one my old machines I instantly regret it and remember why I was so excited to upgrade in the first place.

However, older peripherals do hold a special place in my heart and I am currently looking for deals on used good condition versions of ones I've replaced over the years thinking the next thing will be better. Nope. If it aint broke don't fix it.

I miss Windows XP sounds. And I miss the sound from turning on a CRT, hearing random noises from inside the computer thinking something is happening. HDD spinning and such. 

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

our old TV is a CRT, still used daily with a freeview box and a DVD player. i like how makes a loud click when it starts up and the fact that the glass screen can give you a static shock 

well we use out current one ( 9-10 years old) with a Sky+HD box downstairs in the living room( its a big, fat one with a 43 inch matte screen)

The last one you're talking about is not a CRT, it is a RPTV.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

The POST screen. EFI came along and ruined everything....

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

playing with the desktop breaker tool thing when i was younger. I thought it was the best thing in existence.

Them keyboards. Also, I guess the fact they were designed for enthusiasts, as opposed to the typical consumers.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

The sound writing to a flopp made. The spinup of older hdd's. I miss how easy it was to make changes to network/pc settings back in the day because there was no reason for the level of security we have today. 

lol my desktop with my gt610 made a cut lil beep when it turned on and that thing is only like 2 years old :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

The massive monitors with a round screen, especially massive compared to what we have now. I just love the sound these things make when booting up and shutting down. It's kinda amazing how much space we got when flat monitors came out.

CRT's are awesome

I really loved the way keyboards looked back then.

Always made me feel like I was apart of the Nostromos crew when using them. So clunky and cute.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The fact that back then you needed some brains to work with computers. Even in games, since graphics was not exactly the selling point, most devs had to invest time in storytelling and creating a perfect atmosphere for the player. 

Now what do we have? Billions of dollars invested in games, most of which are directed to nice scenery and great actors but 0 storyline and at most 8 hours of gameplay, all of the sudden intended death of mouse and keyboard input because being smart is the new thingy and I don't even want to get in buggy software releases which clearly where tested by some automatic script which assumed that if it succeeded compilation it should sell by the thousands.

Meh, not saying that you did not have this in the past, but somehow they were forgotten fast.. Now they are becoming more streamline for some reason..

I'm far from not being an addict in promoting new technology, but if this implies "dumb-ing" down the interface, something is going in the wrong direction.

I still have my 2001 iMac, but I never use it, so I miss the fan; something about it was really soothing :D

Build Quality. Sound.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I could actually read the loading screen's tip

Wow, totally agree

INTEL i5 4670 (non-K) | MSI H81I | XFX Black Edition R9 280 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB

Seasonic M12II EVO 620W | SEAGATE Barracuda 2TB

CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport 8GB | CM Elite 130

I miss the classic windows sign... 

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

Now day's i like that idea, that you have dial up to go to internet. And that if you wanted actual do something, the line has to be free. I mean that no body hasn't calling anybody at the same time. Also like very very much of Windows 98SE interface and Netscape browser. MSN Messenger is that cult statut's for me. Because that was the first communication level to communicate to my friend's with out trough phone. 

Failure is not an option!