Sort of Uncomfortable with GTX 970 Reviews 700 series still viable?

MeesterJackson

Ok so awhile ago in general I've made topics like "970 vs 780 Ti" and "The GTX 780 is going down in price, would you still buy one?" and etc. 

I was nearly almost set on the 970 after FINALLY being convinced....buttttt now I've read more reviews, and I'm just getting really uncomfortable with the idea of buying the 970 now. 

First off, DSR is a feature that's already out with the 700 series now, I feel like MFAA is a feature that could easily be updated into the 700 series, it's just Nvidia wont do it to increase 900 series sales. The only thing it's got going for it, is it's lower power consumption which allows for higher OC's. 

I've seen A LOT of coil whine complaints, I've seen some DOA's here and there, some of the aftermarket coolers or fans are just not implemented well and the cards themselves run really hot or really loud, worst of all...I've even seen some driver issues with some of the cards/reviews in general. 

The 700 series has been out for awhile (which means little to no driver issues) and prices have gone down hard. The 780 Ti is close to the 970's prices and it typically (I DO say TYPICALLY, not always) beats the 970. The only real downside is the power consumption which...a higher PSU would simply take care of. Oh, not to mention the 900 series is constantly out of stock and the "good cards" that seem to have "no problems" are always out of stock constantly. 

Idk what do you guys think? 

If I have a 7xx series card, then i would buy an another 7xx series card for sli because they are cheap. But if I'm starting from scratch, then I'll choose the 970 instead.

If I have a 7xx series card, then i would buy an another 7xx series card for sli because they are cheap. But if I'm starting from scratch, then I'll choose the 970 instead.

Idk, I guess I may be getting paranoid. The time to build is coming very soon. Once I get my refund check I am buying all my parts lol. 

The GTX 700 series is still not bad. If that's what you want to go with.....just go for it! :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

If I hadn't already got my 970 I'd probably have gone for a 780 or 770, but in my area the prices of the 7XX series cards have stuck at their normal price the whole time so I've got little to no benefit of the pricing being almost the same.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

If I hadn't already got my 970 I'd probably have gone for a 780 or 770, but in my area the prices of the 7XX series cards have stuck at their normal price the whole time so I've got little to no benefit of the pricing being almost the same.

Sucks to hear that. 

I have a 970, the asus strix. I'm not a heavy gamer and i haven't had a 7xx series but the gaming i do on it is super smooth. I had the same struggle as you because i also just built a new pc.I basicly chose for the new architecture 

I have a 970, the asus strix. I'm not a heavy gamer and i haven't had a 7xx series but the gaming i do on it is super smooth. I had the same struggle as you because i also just built a new pc.I basicly chose for the new architecture 

not to mention the fact that soon more games will take advantage of the 9XX series and the 7XX series will join the 4XX, 5XX and 6XX series of being almost redundant in a matter of a few years.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

It sounds like there's a bit of price gouging going in Hong Kong where you are. Or retailers keeping the prices the same when they should be reducing them (there's a name for that, but it seems to have left my thoughts). That seems kind of wrong to me. That's definitely sucky for you mate. :(

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I would probably go for the 970 cause there is a better/newer architecture,

I'm kinda having a similar struggle. An r9 290 or a 970. The 290s and even some 290Xs are cheaper than 970s.

But the 970 seems to perform better.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Wait...what game does the 970 beat the 780ti in? The only thing I have ever seen COME CLOSE is bioshock infinite. Maxwell beasts that game to my understanding.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

i look at these 900 cards as more of a refresh then new cards similar to the haswell refresh we had a while ago still waiting for GM210 cards

Idk, I guess I may be getting paranoid. The time to build is coming very soon. Once I get my refund check I am buying all my parts lol. 

I made so many last second changes to my build as I was ordering and booyyyy was that a big mistake. 

I got all excited and whatnot and started making just horrible decisions. Originally I was going to go with a 350D but I saw the bitfenix colossus and saw the LED's and thought "owow must have" and impulse bought it.

I've regretted it ever since, it's probably one of the worst cases I've ever built in. It all in all has been a very, very frustrating case.

Just make a plan for your system, and stick to it. Don't make any last second changes, and you should be more than fine.

//ccap

got a Gigabyte 970 g1 gaming
its amazing
coilwhine IS an issue if:

youre gaming right next to an open case/a bench without sounds so yeahhh

not really that kind of an Argument

Performance is awesome imo, very good oc, not that much heat and youll never actually hear it in a closed case

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

i look at these 900 cards as more of a refresh then new cards similar to the haswell refresh we had a while ago still waiting for GM210 cards

Boy you cra. That much less electricity and you see a refresh? Na. They just didn't push performance because there is no reason to yet. May I ask is the maxwell 980 fully unlocked or is it the same deal as the gtx 780 where it's just a slightly cut back version awaiting to be released at a later date?

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Boy you cra. That much less electricity and you see a refresh? Na. They just didn't push performance because there is no reason to yet. May I ask is the maxwell 980 fully unlocked or is it the same deal as the gtx 780 where it's just a slightly cut back version awaiting to be released at a later date?

nvidia has released two chips that are more or less equal to the current lineup hence why i call it a refresh. my guess is that we are at the limitation of the 28nm process but i cant say for certain

same, a question to you are you oced on ur cpu?

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

nvidia has released two chips that are more or less equal to the current lineup hence why i call it a refresh. my guess is that we are at the limitation of the 28nm process but i cant say for certain

Possibly. Either way there is a strong chance I will be jumping on the 16nm boat as soon as it arrives, really thinking NV link might be when I switch. I feel like that will matter a whole lot more than anything else coming right now. But I could be dumb. 

You need 4GB of VRAM, plain and simple.  Games are starting to require 4GB for Ultra settings.

Those people who experienced coil whine didn't give their cards enough break in time.  My EVGA 780 SC had coil whine when I first bought it.  2 Months later it was gone because it needed some break-in time.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

same, a question to you are you oced on ur cpu?

Nope, just stock speeds.

BTW I'm folding, OC speeds would make it run hotter

970 vs 780ti ? Lol no.

3,600 firestike score difference stock vs stock in the same rig here.

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

Nope, just stock speeds.

BTW I'm folding, OC speeds would make it run hotter

oh, ok just wondering as we have the same setup

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

oh, ok just wondering as we have the same setup

Well I'm looking to OC it but not right now because I'm using the stock cooler. A 212 evo won't fit in my case so I have to find another cooler. I'm looking at the 92 mm dual fan noctua cooler though...

Well I'm looking to OC it but not right now because I'm using the stock cooler. A 212 evo won't fit in my case so I have to find another cooler. I'm looking at the 92 mm dual fan noctua cooler though...

we can together if you want tell each other what works

Spoiler