Android Roms.

post-154232-0-41344200-1414212651.png
I've recently come to terms with the fact I won't like my phone, at all, unless I have a rom on it. I can't stand being bombarded with bloatware on android and the limitations of iphone. That's the reason I love roms. But my question is, how is it i never hear about them. I see a phone review, and all I think is hmm, that would look nice with a custom rom. But Linus, and other tech review companies never mention this. The closest I've seen in the recent past is the comment on the One + One, stating how it's software began as a custom rom. I'd love to know why this topic hasn't had more light shed on it, maybe they legally can't mention it or maybe it's just not as popular as I thought it would be. Thanks guys, and apologies is this kinda post is terrible etiquette, I'm new here. 

it's just not as popular, it can be a bit of faff to get the rom working(personal experience) 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

it's just not as popular, it can be a bit of faff to get the rom working(personal experience) 

But wouldn't you agree the benefits far far outweigh the cons?

CyanogenMod is always being updated for compatibility. Its a great ROM and has tons of customizability, give it a go!

I love how snappy it is on my oneplus one

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

no...buggy not always faster or better optimised, issues with apps not working or even being blocked, nightmare to update, an pain to do in the first place, risky and all that for what....to get the next version of android 2 months earlier or to try to save some battery

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Im currently using CM11 on my phone and yea its a bit buggy but loads of customization makes up for it. Hope they are upgrading to material design

I have to say the 2 things that make custom roms not so popular and mainstream is that 1, its a bit complicated to install (I've spent several hour on several phones trying to get them work) plus you can brick your device. 2, is that most rom makers are "amateur enthusiasts" and development time and updates are sometimes slow and the rom itself is pretty bug ridden as well. The only exception from these are usually CM and PA official roms, but usually they only develop to top of the line phones, so if you're using a legacy device you may be out of luck.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

Custom ROM's are a good thing and i do prefer them over the bloated ROM's most manufacturers supply with their phone. They are not without cons though, you often need to void warranty to get one on your phone (because manufacturers rather have you stuck with their crappy ROM) and there are always bugs. You do get the advantage of a phone that will always be updated and some nice features that further enhance Android. I must say that custom ROM's are still a bit early, but they are promising and i do see them going somewhere.

I'm a Oneplus One owner and haven't bothered to swap out the ROM, Cyanogen just does everything i want it to do. The customization is amazing and the custom themes look fantastic.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

In the past I'd just keep an eye out for the RUU to leak, then rip that apart, take out the bloatware and flash the slimmed-down ROM to my phone. Haven't bothered to do so on my M8 though, most likely because it is now possible to completely disable the bloatware.
Sure, it's still occupying space, but then again we have plenty of that nowadays. It's not like in the old days, when you had 112MB of actual space on your 512MB Desire.

totally, i mean i can connect a ps3 controller to my phone, and stream over limelight and play games in bed and also ive got double tap to wake+swipe to wake on my nexus 4. running cyanogenmod with piasek kernel, running art run time too. Its amazing!

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

attachicon.gifSlimKat_001.png

I've recently come to terms with the fact I won't like my phone, at all, unless I have a rom on it. I can't stand being bombarded with bloatware on android and the limitations of iphone. That's the reason I love roms. But my question is, how is it i never hear about them. I see a phone review, and all I think is hmm, that would look nice with a custom rom. But Linus, and other tech review companies never mention this. The closest I've seen in the recent past is the comment on the One + One, stating how it's software began as a custom rom. I'd love to know why this topic hasn't had more light shed on it, maybe they legally can't mention it or maybe it's just not as popular as I thought it would be. Thanks guys, and apologies is this kinda post is terrible etiquette, I'm new here. 

the main issue is support; long term support. (LTS) requires stable funding to be achieved

Enjoy your custom Roms because wonderful Verizon locked my bootloader

what phone?

gs4

carriers are messing up locking them in the first place 

I think Cynogenmod is the best ROM available, it is sleek, stable and it has a great community.