Microsoft Talks Minecraft Buyout, Possibility of Minecraft 2

Bloodyvalley
Following the announcement of Microsoft's $2.5 billion acquisition of Swedish developer Mojang and the chart-topping Minecraft franchise in September, some wondered how the Xbox maker would grow the brand going forward. A sequel was suggested by some, but in a new interview, Head of Xbox Phil Spencer says the company must "meet the needs" of the existing Minecraft community before potentially expanding the franchise. He also reminds gamers that the deal has not yet closed (it is expected to by the end of the year) and that Mojang is still in control of the series.

"It's a big deal," Spencer told IGN about the acquisition. "For me, I look at it as a great game to add to our portfolio. I love [the gamer] who plays Minecraft. I love that male, female, young, and old--it's something that lives on so many different screens. I'd love to bring it to more screens out there."

"I think what we've learned through Xbox Live is something that we can help in unifying a little bit of what happens with Minecraft today," he said. "If I'm on PC I get access to the mod servers; if I'm on console or the mobile editions, I don't. We're looking at how do we bring that whole system together a little more. Because there are other games out there that let me move from screen to screen fairly seamlessly."

Microsoft has pledged to not remove the existing versions of Minecraft for competing platforms such as PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita. However, it remains to be seen if Spencer's ambition to unify game experiences through Xbox Live would apply to those versions of the game.

Looking ahead, Spencer said he thinks the Minecraft series has "such headroom as an IP," suggesting it has lots of room to grow. He also said Minecraft is a hugely important game not just for Microsoft but for the industry at large--and he wants to carry this spirit forward.

"And frankly, I love what [Minecraft] means for us as a gaming industry--maybe that's overstating it a little bit," he said. "Kids creating things, playing together, having a good time--it has a role in classrooms. I just think it's good for us. I see us as shepherds of the IP."

Asked directly about the possibility of Minecraft 2, Spencer said discussions about future extensions of the series--which he admitted not everyone may agree with--will come later.

"I don't know if Minecraft 2, if that's the thing that makes the most sense. The community around Minecraft is as strong as any community out there. We need to meet the needs and the desires of what the community has before we get permission to go off and do something else," he said. "It doesn't mean that everything we're going to do is going to map to 100 percent of their acceptance, because I don't know if there is any topic where 100 percent of people agree. But we look at Job 1 is to go out and meet the needs of the Minecraft community first, and then we can think about ways that we can actually help grow it. That's our sole focus."

Spencer also responded to the rumors that Microsoft's decision to buy Mojang/Microsoft was "hoisted upon" the Xbox team. He said this is not true, and in fact, the deal came from within Microsoft's Xbox team.

Outside of Minecraft the game, Warner Bros. is currently working on a Minecraft movie. Night at the Museum director Shawn Levy is reportedly a frontrunner to direct the "large-budget" movie, which is in the very early stages of development and might not be released until 2017 or 2018.

no-god-no-o.gif

Also, HOW THE FUCK can they make a sequel to a sandbox game? lmao

Source

What

I dont think you understand.

Currently we are at 1.8

after 1.8 comes 1.9

after 1.9 will come 2.0

They are just linearly numbered updates. Minecraft 2.0 will not be drastically different from minecraft 1.9, in the same way minecraft 1.8 is not drastically different from 1.7

They are not making a new game, its just an update that adds features. Minecraft 2 is inevitable, it will come some day or another, but currently 1.9 has to come first.

Just as an example, when minecraft 1.0 was released, it was just another update from beta 1.9, not a different game.

Unless they plan to follow the messed up 1.9 > 1.10 > 1.11 numbering scheme (which I highly doubt), minecraft 2.0 will come after 1.9. No surprise.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

GG, sequel to a sandbox.

Everyone expect Garrys Mod 2 soon as well. That would make sense though, because it would be on Source 2, which would imply higher-end graphics.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

"It's a big deal," Spencer told IGN about the acquisition. "For me, I look at it as a great game to add to our portfolio. I love [the gamer] who plays Minecraft. I love that male, female, young, and old--it's something that lives on so many different screens. I'd love to bring it to more screens out there.""I think what we've learned through Xbox Live is something that we can help in unifying a little bit of what happens with Minecraft today," he said. "If I'm on PC I get access to the mod servers; if I'm on console or the mobile editions, I don't. We're looking at how do we bring that whole system together a little more. Because there are other games out there that let me move from screen to screen fairly seamlessly."

"oh wait, we restrict PC so they can't use mod servers anymore" will be their solution.

I would be interested in seeing a minecraft 2 where the code isn't as shitty and difficult to run.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"oh wait, we restrict PC so they can't use mod servers anymore" will be their solution.

I would be interested in seeing a minecraft 2 where the code isn't as shitty and difficult to run.

Code thats isn't as shitty and difficult to run? What do you mean by that? Do you want even older computers to run minecraft?

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Code thats isn't as shitty and difficult to run? What do you mean by that? Do you want even older computers to run minecraft?

Not that, but I'd like my 4690k and gtx 660 and SSD with 16 gigs of ram to not continue to have chunk load lag on single player maps. Even with things set to default I still get chunk load lag on a single player map, why?

All I see is Ubisoft's idea of how to make it the same experience across-platform; and that is crippling the PC version.

Hopefully they just leave us alone and let the modding community keep modding. Maybe they can build-in bukkit to a new version update (2.0 maybe?)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

i hope minecraft will move away from java and be optimized to run better and use many cores and not 1 without optifine

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

i hope minecraft will move away from java and be optimized to run better and use many cores and not 1 without optifine

And take the load off the CPU. Also, SLI support.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

1.8 now has multithreaded rendering

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The first thing that comes to mind with a sequel would be moving away from java.

Use C++ minecraft: http://minetest.net/

It's a Minecraft clone coded in C++.

GG, sequel to a sandbox.

Everyone expect Garrys Mod 2 soon as well. That would make sense though, because it would be on Source 2, which would imply higher-end graphics.

You do realize we are already up to Garry's Mod 14, right? Garry's Mod 2 happened YEARS ago.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I think they're doing alright here, trying to bring in all the pc modding community & make it cross platform. I dont know why you guys are ripping on Microsoft here.

Also, HOW THE FUCK can they make a sequel to a sandbox game? lmao

Source

Maybe add a story line and remake it with a newer game engine.

GG, sequel to a sandbox.

So it makes sense for garry's mod but not for minecraft?  see above and below.

The first thing that comes to mind with a sequel would be moving away from java.

exactly, minecraft 2 - minecraft on a real game engine.  And maybe a story line or addon where the user can create their own story lines just like we used to be able to create our own maps for counterstrike.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

its java what do u expect !

btw do u have OpenCL on ? it always speeds things up

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

its java what do u expect !

btw do u have OpenCL on ? it always speeds things up

I honestly have no idea. I just know that it takes a good minute for things to load properly

I honestly have no idea. I just know that it takes a good minute for things to load properly

i meant advanced  OpenGL

its in the video options

much faster after its enabled

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i meant advanced  OpenGL

its in the video options

much faster after its enabled

Oh that, yeah I do, still laggy as fuck. possibly my ram speed or something? No Idea, I just know that Minecraft is supposedly "poorly optimized", or at least I've heard that said many times

That's what I was thinking when I read that.

I hope that we're just cynical :(

Oh that, yeah I do, still laggy as fuck. possibly my ram speed or something? No Idea, I just know that Minecraft is supposedly "poorly optimized", or at least I've heard that said many times

If its laggy you probably are not using the latest version of java 1.8.

Minecraft 1,8 had a ton of optimisations done to it, and now runs at 600+fps on my PC up from 150.

Spoiler

I like Java though. Admittedly, it's easier to write slow code in Java than in C, but if done properly it's really not that bad. Also it runs on more platforms. If they do port it to C DirectX will probably come along with it (because Microsoft) and the Linux and Mac versions will die. Also, Java will get HSA support.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.