Is it worth change a GTX680 to a GTX970

Hello !

Is it worth to change my GTX680 to a new GTX970 like the Asus Strix, taking in mind that it would represent less power consumption and probably better overall performance.

My GTX 680 is a Gigabyte GV-N680OC-2GD and i'm looking for a 970 like the Asus Strix or the MSI 970 gaming 4G.

My personnal argument is 4Gb of memory would be great because I bring my card to a 95% load almost every day.

Thanks for your comment !

ya its worth it IMO

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Is it worth to change my GTX680 to a new GTX970 like the Asus Strix, taking in mind that it would represent less power consumption and probably better overall performance.

My GTX 680 is a Gigabyte GV-N680OC-2GD and i'm looking for a 970 like the Asus Strix or the MSI 970 gaming 4G.
My personnal argument is 4Gb of memory would be great because I bring my card to a 95% load almost every day.

Depends what you do with the card (i.e. what resolution you play at). If you actually feel like you need the 4GB of VRAM then yeah upgrade to a 970, but don't get the Strix, get a Gigabyte

"Rawr XD"

IMO no. I don't ever bother getting a new GPU unless my current GPU is failing to get adequate FPS on a game I'm playing and the new one will fix that and more. If that's happening, then sure, but I find that highly unlikely.

I would do it :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No, the 680 still has another year or two of life in it in my opinion.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I went from a 670 to 770, probably not worth the money I spent. I then upgraded to a 780 when I got a 1440p monitor as the memory was an issue, but that was it. Unles the card you currently have is no performing as well as you want/need then I wouldn't.

mai oui, c'est une bonne idee

(sorry, grade nine french... and I sucked at it back then)

If you go for a 970 go for the Gigabyte unless there's a reason not to (e.g. if it doesn't fit in your case - it's a very long card).

However I'd say unless the power consumption/heat output is a big deal to you or if you're planning to go to higher resolutions than 1080p then probably not worth it.

Hello !

Thanks for your comment !

Personally, i'd suggest holding on for another generation just because performance from a 680 to a 970 is around 15-20% and IMO just doesn't justify getting a upgrade. But if you've got the cash and like its more like why not upgrade then go for it but if you've worked really hard for it and your looking for something that is going to change the gaming experience its really not going to be worth it. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

VRAM usage has nothing (directly) to do with GPU load. Most modern games should be putting a near-100% load on your GPU most of the time, that just means your CPU isn't restricting it. Games only use the VRAM they actually need, so having 4 GB will not help in games that are only demanding 2 GB or less.

I would only recommend upgrading if you're trying to do something that demands something much faster than your 680, like if you're trying to game at 1440p or something. If you're at 1080p and aiming for 60 FPS, your card is probably still doing okay in most games and I'd hang on a bit longer.