Resolution relative to PPI?

KingDavidello

Quick question.

My 1920x1080 (1080p) @ 23.5" monitor has a PPI of 93.8. 

That new curved LG monitor --> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTQHIUM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1CFZCV3ILIYDM&coliid=IHY0KTBRLLX97 <-- This one is 3440x1440 @ 34" has a PPI of 109.7. 

This LG monitor --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P01ZT1570 <-- This one is 2560x1080 @ 34" has  PPI of 81.7

So does PPI or resolution matter? If I were to pick option 3, the 2560x1080 LG @ 34" based upon my understanding it would look shittier compared to my current monitor (option 1) even though the resolution is higher? 

That being said if you were to stretch out a 3840x2160 monitor, which is 4k, across lets say 55" monitor, the PPI would be approximately the same as option 3. So even though this hypothetical 4k monitor would cost a bunch more, option 3 would be equal if not better to it since the PPI's are the same?

When buying a monitor should I be focused on the PPI or the resolution. Which one will give me a more clear and sharp image?

Someone please help cause i'm so confused ;-;

Resolution is higher, but so is the physical size of the monitor so the pixels will be stretched. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

PPI is indirectly a measure of how big and coarse the pixels are. When you have more pixels (a higher resolution) crammed into a smaller physical frame, the pixels are smaller and denser.

You are correct that PPI is a pretty big factor in image quality. Its the difference of the quality of a 1080p smartphone screen, where you virtually need a microscope to see individual pixels, versus a 1080p television where the same number of pixels must be quite large to fill the larger area.

So a large 4k monitor is pointless unless you're sitting far away from it? I'm right up on my 1080p monitor and everything looks sharp to me already. 

Also that nice looking curved LG is pointless then? Is a difference of 20 PPI going to even be noticeable? Not to mention a lot of games don't even support 21:9..

PPI is indirectly a measure of how big and coarse the pixels are. When you have more pixels (a higher resolution) crammed into a smaller physical frame, the pixels are smaller and denser.

You are correct that PPI is a pretty big factor in image quality. Its the difference of the quality of a 1080p smartphone screen, where you virtually need a microscope to see individual pixels, versus a 1080p television where the same number of pixels must be quite large to fill the larger area.

Lol you can see the individual pixels from 3cm away :P (well that is if you're as blind as me without glasses).

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

well for personal taste.

I kinda like the 2560x1440 at 27" one compared to the asus 29" 2560x1080 monitor I bought few weeks back just so I can experience it. it's just maybe me but the 27" 2560x1440 is kinda like my own personal sweet spot for any resolution above 1080p well probably different for 4k but I don't have any personal experience with those as I kinda see it pointless to buy with tn panel but it's just me.

Live your life like a dream.

@KingDavidello Literally good mornin' (2:40am in the UK here) welcome to the Linus tech tips forum.

Definitely yes, to a certain extent with said hypothetical criteria. I would say that if you're 110% an eagle eyed individual who can tell the difference between 24" 1080p to 27" 1080p/1440p it does make quite a difference. With smartphones it doesn't matter so much since panel technologies have achieved a certain "#retina-standard" of resolution pixels per inch.

Edited by wng_kingsley7

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Lol you can see the individual pixels from 3cm away :P (well that is if you're as blind as me without glasses).

I can see the pixels on my 55" screen from 3 feet away :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So a large 4k monitor is pointless unless you're sitting far away from it? I'm right up on my 1080p monitor and everything looks sharp to me already. 

The pixel:size ratio is such that each pixel is still very small and therefore indistinguishable at a normal viewing distance. 

I'm approximately 2.5 feet away from my 28" 4k monitor and cannot distinguish each pixel. I have to be extremely close (less than a foot) to see each pixel - and even then they're still extremely small. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Hmmm, okay thanks everyone :) Maybe if i get dual potatoes in my system I can upgrade to a higher pixel density monitor. My current potato barely runs 1080p :c

i look at ppi more then overall res, 110ppi is around what i aim, as it works best for me. but anything over 90 is perfectly acceptable,

Hmmm, okay thanks everyone  :) Maybe if i get dual potatoes in my system I can upgrade to a higher pixel density monitor. My current potato barely runs 1080p :c

pixel density has no effect on performance, max number of pixels does.

pixel density has no effect on performance, max number of pixels does.

Oh s*!t now i'm confused again.

All your PC cares about is how many pixels it has to render, it doesn't care how those pixels are displayed by your monitor. Pixel density is just a consequence of how big (in inches) your monitor is.

I don't really know what you're referring to, but I assume you mean my cell phone example.

Personally, even with my face almost touching the glass, I can't discern individual pixels on my Samsung Galaxy S3, and that's only 720p on a 4.8" display.

Pixels density (ppi) refers to how many pixels in one inch; diagonal count will be less.

Pixel count refers to how many total pixels there are in the panel.

So how many PPI would be a noticeable difference?

For computer monitors, its easier to answer this question by suggesting the ideal sizes for each resolution.

Most 1080p monitors with a good image are 23" or 24".

1440p are usually 27".

4K generally looks best at about 28-30".

Its hard to name numbers in PPI units because we usually have only a few inch dimension options to choose from.

For computer monitors, its easier to answer this question by suggesting the ideal sizes for each resolution.

Most 1080p monitors with a good image are 23" or 24".

1440p are usually 27".

4K generally looks best at about 28-30".

Its hard to name numbers in PPI units because we usually have only a few inch dimension options to choose from.

Alright then. Thanks.

Ok now i'm super confused. What's the difference between TN and IPS? I'm reading IPS has a much superior image quality. So if i get a 1440p IPS monitor will it be the same as 4k TN? ;-; I feel dumb ><

Ok now i'm super confused. What's the difference between TN and IPS? I'm reading IPS has a much superior image quality. So if i get a 1440p IPS monitor will it be the same as 4k ;-; I feel dumb ><

IPS has superior viewing angles and color accuracy. TNs have better response times and if you want a 120 Hz or 144 Hz display, you're likely going to find TN panels. I personally have no problem with the higher-quality TN panels for gaming, but IPS is almost required for professional productivity stuff (graphic design, video production, 3D rendering, etc).

1440p is the same number of pixels on any panel. There won't be any perception of a higher resolution or better pixel density, but on TN panels with worse color accuracy you might see banding in areas of subtle color gradients.

IPS has superior viewing angles and color accuracy. TNs have better response times and if you want a 120 Hz or 144 Hz display, you're likely going to find TN panels. I personally have no problem with the higher-quality TN panels for gaming, but IPS is almost required for professional productivity stuff (graphic design, video production, 3D rendering, etc).

1440p is the same number of pixels on any panel. There won't be any perception of a higher resolution or better pixel density, but on TN panels with worse color accuracy you might see banding in areas of subtle color gradients.

Can you just pick me out a monitor lol. Price isn't an issue. I just want the best, clearest sharpest image that's great for gaming.

Ok now i'm super confused. What's the difference between TN and IPS? I'm reading IPS has a much superior image quality. So if i get a 1440p IPS monitor will it be the same as 4k TN? ;-; I feel dumb ><

If you're looking for accurate colors then TN should be of little to no consideration as that's what IPS has going for it. IPS also has much better viewing angles (off axis viewing) with little or no color shifting.

TN panels, while having less accurate colors, offer superior response times (1ms compared to your average 5-8ms for IPS) which aids in less ghosting and latency. 

TN can also support much higher refresh rates (TN up to 144hz compared to 60hz for IPS) which offers much fluidity compared to 60hz. 

Can you just pick me out a monitor lol. Price isn't an issue. I just want the best, clearest sharpest image that's great for gaming.

I haven't bought a monitor in a long time, and there are so many options available in the low- and mid-range models that I'm not entirely sure what to recommend. I can give you a few guidelines, though, if you just have no idea what you want:

You should pick a monitor that basically matches the capabilities of your system. If you've only got a GTX 760, it doesn't make much sense to get a 1440p monitor because you'll struggle to play most games at that resolution. Similarly, if you have a high-end video card, a cheap $150 1080p monitor wouldn't really show off what your hardware is capable of.

There's also refresh rate. 60 Hz means that your monitor cannot refresh quickly enough to show you framerates higher than 60, even when your hardware is rendering them. If you want to play at higher framerates than that, you'll need a 120 Hz or 144 Hz monitor.

Whatever you pick, make sure you find reviews of it online somewhere. Linus has reviewed quite a few. If its a good choice, they'll say so, and if its not the reviewer will often recommend one that is better. And if possible, try to find it in an electronics store somewhere so you can see it in person.

It depends on what you are seeking.

4K is OK at 28inch, if you want max work space

But, if you want super smooth and easy to read text and rich detailed icons like a high-end smartphone, then you want 24inch in 4K, as everything will be tiny, you wont' see the pixels, but you increase Windows DPI, to enjoy the richer experience. This is what high-resolution screen smart phone do. If you buy a 800x600 phone, the icons and text will be similar size as a device of the same size, but 1080p (well more or less, to be exact), but the 1080p one will be smoother, easier to read, more details on the icons, and give you a generally richer experience.

Your games won't be affected. At least they should not.

The downside of the later option, is that you need software that are high-DPI aware.

So far only Windows and some of it's included programs are, as well as Microsoft latest software, such as Office 2013, and Visual Studio 14. All Modern UI programs in Windows 8/10 are also high DPI aware due to the infrastructure of these modern UI apps, which is great. Adobe is working on it. I believe Photoshop is already, and many other drawing software from other companies. Paint.NET it as well, if I am not mistaken. Every year or so, more and more programs is added on the list, as the popularity of 4K display increases, and high resolutions laptops. Consumers starts to demand high-DPI support.

Asus ROG Swift or LG 34UC97?

Depends on what you're after- they're two very different monitors