xfx R9290 psu question

pluto5963

Hello I am currently making a build with a r9290 http://www.ncix.com/detail/xfx-radeon-r9-290-980mhz-17-93752-1053.htm?affiliateid=7474144 to be exact and the specifications for this card are have a 750 w minimum psu. On pcpart picker though the build is 412 w with the rest of the build. So my question is is pcpartpicker wrong? and now I have chosen a different psu ,xfx 850 w. So when the card says 750w required is this the minimum amount of power the card will use or just a weird requirement? If the card does use a minimum of 750 w does this mean I have to add the power of the rest of my build to the 750?   

thx

No it does not use 750W but they set that as a minimum requirement for companies who make prebuilt systems with POS power supplies that are not even 80+ certified.

You should be fine with a 600W PSU as long as it is from a quality brand.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The minimum requirement is with the whole system. PCPartPicker says my build only uses 404W but it can overpower my 550W PSU, so round up, the 850W will be fine

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

The minimum requirement is with the while system. PCPartPicker says my build only uses 404W but it can overpower my 550W PSU, so round up, the 850W will be fine

what do u mean by the while system

Sorry, meant whole system. I'll fix it.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

412W is the minimum PSU required if not overclocking. Ignore the 750W the graphics card says. Even with overclocking a 550W will be perfectly fine for one 290. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/199255-how-many-watts-do-i-need-check-here/

But please, do not get that 290!

"Rawr XD"

whats so bad about that r9280

There's a reason they're so cheap. I've had nothing but trouble with XFX GPUs

"Rawr XD"

You will be fine with a 550W unit. The system requirements on the box are always high.