Primarily Gaming Purposes - 4790K or 5820K ?

I'm looking at a primarily gaming build - 4790k @ 4 GHz, vs the 5820k at 3.5 GHz ?

Does the lower clock speed of the 5820k reduce game performance ?

Most of today's games prefer a higher clocked single core, but with some games coming out with requirements for multiple cores, is this a worthy buy ?

I'm also planning to keep it for about 4 years ! So, is the Hexacore a worthy investment ? Or is it better to get the 4790k and upgrade to Broadwell-K after 2 years ?

Yes the 4790k performs better in games due to the higher clock speed.

No game uses more than 8 threads, so the 5820k's 12 threads wont help any more than the 4790k's 8 threads.

Also with the money you save by going z97 instead of x99 you can either buy yourself a second graphics card, or save it up until you need a CPU upgrade.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hello All,

I'm looking to build a primarily gaming PC at a pretty good budget..

Is the x99 platform better than the z97 for this purpose ?

Does it justify the price difference on components as the x99 will need DDR4, a 5 series CPU.. all of which are more expensive.

I'm also planning to keep it for about 4 years ! So, is the Hexacore a worthy investment ?

PS: There will be OC involved, watercooled loops, 2 way SLI for sure, Maybe 3 in the future...

The 4790K is the better option. Most games don't use more than 4 cores, so the 6-core 5820K usually won't be able to work to its full potential. The lower clockspeeds can worsen performance in some cases, but usually not by very much.

Considering the price difference (especially with DDR4 prices), the 4790K is the much better deal.. To keep a system up-to-date for as long as possible, you're usually better off buying smaller incremental upgrades over time rather than going all-out in the beginning.

Developers can't make games that truly need more than 4 cores until enough people have 6-8 core systems that they can count on people to have the proper hardware. Since most people will probably be using quadcore systems for a while (look at how many people still have dualcore systems), developers can't ignore that audience for a while.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Z97 ofcourse. X99 is useless extra power for gaming. 

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I will say yes solely because of how long you intend to use it.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

x99 is not worth it just for gaming. Games will likely never, by this i mean not in the near future, need more than an i5(possibly i7). By this I mean you don' need a hexacore processor, or even a octacore processor. You could even be okay with getting a dicore i3 which will last a a couple years. 

A Z97 system will easily last you 4 years or more, and the extra cores of a X99 system won't really benefit gaming or even light content creation. Get a Z97 and use the money for things that will outlast the rest of the system (hard drive/ssd arrays, case, power supply, fans, and peripherals, especially monitors)

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

You would barely not notice the performance difference between the 5820k and 4790k when gaming. The price of ddr4 is not justifiable at all for gaming and you would probably gain a fps or none at all over ddr3. The 4790k will last you for 4 years or longer so the cost of the 5820k is not worth it. Just use the money you saved from getting a 4790k to get a good graphic card instead of having to get a cheap one and just because you spend a lot more money on a cpu where you would see almost no performance benefit unless you found a game where it actually uses more than  4 cores on the cpu.

Yes the 4790k performs better in games due to the higher clock speed.

No game uses more than 8 threads, so the 5820k's 12 threads wont help any more than the 4790k's 8 threads.

Also with the money you save by going z97 instead of x99 you can either buy yourself a second graphics card, or save it up until you need a CPU upgrade.

Sure.. Than kyou... Would you recommend a board with a PLX chip ? If i want to add an extra GPU over the years ?

We know that broadwell K is going to support the 1150 socket, so would it have enough PCIe lanes and suppport 3 way GPU you think ?

Sure.. Than kyou... Would you recommend a board with a PLX chip ? If i want to add an extra GPU over the years ?

We know that broadwell K is going to support the 1150 socket, so would it have enough PCIe lanes and suppport 3 way GPU you think ?

Broadwell will most likely feature the same 16 lanes that Haswell does. Extra PCIe lanes seems to be one of the things Intel wants to keep exclusive to their enthusiast lineup.

I don't know a particularly reasonable Z97 board with a PLX chip, but if you're considering something like that you probably should just go with X99. If you're sure you'll want a 3-way SLI/Crossfire configuration later, X99 is probably right for you. The i7-5820K's 28 lanes will support 8x/8x/4x.

Edit: Minor correction. :P

I don't think 3 way SLI is worth it. By the time you save up for a third card, new GPUs will already be released so it would be more beneficial to sell the current two that you have for a newer card.

IMO 3 way SLI is more for people who can afford to buy 3 graphics cards at once, and those people usually can easily afford a 5930k and X99.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020