What PSU for my system

Diebnak
Go to solution Solved by Daigo,

I am really thankful for your recommendations, and I don't want to sound rude, but my orignal question is if a 550W psu would be enough for this setup ^^

Yes it would run fine on 550w but if you are willing to spend on Noctua fans and 2400Mhz Ram don't cut it on the PSU. 

Rosewill CAPSTONE 550 M  would do the job or a  SeaSonic G Series 550RM nor XFX 550G TS3X.

Hi there!

I watched the vid of Linus in which he talks about what kind of PSU one should buy.

Now I have already used the recomendet calculator, but I am not quiet sure if it gave me a somewhat correct answer (it said about 350Watts).

Since I am planning on buying a gaming pc for quiet some money I want to make sure that I get a fitting PSU so I wanted to ask for a second opinion.

The system I am planing to buy includes:

1x LG dvd RW drive

the included fans in the Coolermaster HAF-X RC942

a intel i7-4790K CPU

Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark 1

Corsair Dominator 16GB(2x8GB) DDR3 2400Mhz

Gainward GTX 970 Phantom

Noctuar NH-D15

1x 1.5 TB HDD

and 1x 128GB SSD

I originally was going to buy a 850W Corsair RM 80plus Gold PSU, but then i watched the video and thought that 550W were enough (considering the calculation).

Also if anyone as any ideas of improoving the system without increasing it's price by a lot, recommendations are welcome :3

I would suggest the EVGA 750 G2, it's plenty of power and I've heard only good things about it. Also, I would drop that RAM, Dominator RAM is overpriced, sure it looks good and has Corsair Link, but regular RAM will suit you. You should be able to save some fomr just switching the RAM.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

STAY AWAY FROM CORSAIR RM SERIES, IF YOU SEE ONE DROP DOWN AND SCREM FOR HELP

Other than that you should get the EVGA supernovea 750 G2, not the NEX, the G2 as it is higher quality.

750w is plenty for upgrading in the future and it is full modular and 80+ gold

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

STAY AWAY FROM CORSAIR RM SERIES, IF YOU SEE ONE DROP DOWN AND SCREM FOR HELP

Other than that you should get the EVGA supernovea 750 G2, not the NEX, the G2 as it is higher quality.

750w is plenty for upgrading in the future and it is full modular and 80+ gold

They're not that bad. But they're not the best either. They're just overpriced for what they are.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

They're not that bad. But they're not the best either. They're just overpriced for what they are.

they are stupidly low quality for that price, they should be like 50$, i have read too many people that the psu crashes and takes along the cpu or gpu with it.

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

they are stupidly low quality for that price, they should be like 50$, i have read too many people that the psu crashes and takes along the cpu or gpu with it.

Now you're just sounding childish. I have an even lower end CX600 powering an OC'ed 8320 also made by CWT. No problems. They're not going to fry your components like a $15 Raidmax PSU with 10A of the 12V rail. 

I am really thankful for your recommendations, and I don't want to sound rude, but my orignal question is if a 550W psu would be enough for this setup ^^

Yes it would run fine on 550w but if you are willing to spend on Noctua fans and 2400Mhz Ram don't cut it on the PSU. 

Rosewill CAPSTONE 550 M  would do the job or a  SeaSonic G Series 550RM nor XFX 550G TS3X.

I'd definitly stick to a quality psu such as an Antec. They make great power supplies. The VP-450 should work great, is cheap, and is extremely reliable and pretty quiet. Check out the reviews on Amazon.

My Rig: AMD FX-6300, Gigabyte Windforce 280x, 8GB Adata XPG 1866 Mhz

Coming soon  :lol: : Two Kuhler 650's, one on the cpu, the other paired witha Kraken G10 

Yes, 550W is enough. Seasonic SSR-550RM or Rosewill Capstone 550W are good units. As stated above, go for a cheaper RAM, as these don't benefit in terms of performance. Use that money to get a 256GB SSD or something else.