AT&T locks your iPad Air 2's SIM so you can't switch carriers without a new one

Syntaxvgm

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/24/att-locks-ipad-air-2-sim/

Basically once you activate your apple sim through AT&T, you'll have to buy a whole new one if you want to use it on another carrier. 
Way to continue to be a completely terrible company with no reason or advantage other than sodomizing the customers, AT&T. This is really low. Normally, I wouldn't write in such a biased manner when posting a news article, but this is really scummy. 

When asked why AT&T chose to lock things down after activation, a carrier spokesperson told Re/code's Ina Fried that's "it's just simply the way we've chosen to do it." 

Really? That's your excuse? Do you think the customers are retarded lemmings? What are you, Ubisoft? 
Whoever made this decision can go fuck themselves with a toblerone. 

EDIT

For those who are confused, it means you have to buy a whole new SIM CARD, not ipad. The sim card is a new smaller one from apple that'e meant to be written in software and re-usable, and is likely not cheap to replace since it's proprietary apple tech, and as far as I know not provided by the store, or if it is will still be made by apple

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

a whole new ipad? im confused.. i thought the apple sim was virtual?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

a whole new ipad? im confused.. i thought the apple sim was virtual?

no a whole new sim not ipad 

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

no a whole new sim not ipad 

but like i said, isnt the "Apple sim" virtual? I read the ipad air and mini 3 dont have sim slots, just apple sims

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

This sh*t is confusing.. can anyone clarify?

Details separate people.

Isn't this how it is anyway? If you activate your SIM card onto any carrier, isn't it locked onto that carrier? If you want to switch you'll need a SIM card from another carrier no?

wait didnt they pass a bill that doesnt allow this or something ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Companies these days seriously need to get their heads out of their asses, seriously what in the fuck are these people learning in "business school"

EcL9ojJ.gif

(even funnier when you realize that I'm militantly anti apple, still, this shit is retarded)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Isn't this how it is anyway? If you activate your SIM card onto any carrier, isn't it locked onto that carrier? If you want to switch you'll need a SIM card from another carrier no?

As far as I know, It's supposed to be re-writable through software or something. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

There will be another way... there always is..

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/24/att-locks-ipad-air-2-sim/

Basically once you activate your apple sim through AT&T, you'll have to buy a whole new one if you want to use it on another carrier. 

Way to continue to be a completely terrible company with no reason or advantage other than sodomizing the customers, AT&T. This is really low. Normally, I wouldn't write in such a biased manner when posting a news article, but this is really scummy. 

Really? That's your excuse? Do you think the customers are retarded lemmings? What are you, Ubisoft? 

confused_lion_king.gif

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

confused_lion_king.gif

What part of this did you not get? 

muh specs 

All parts black

What part of this did you not get? 

What on earth they are thinking! It's a reaction to the situation, rather than your post, I should of just quoted that one line. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

What on earth they are thinking! It's a reaction to the situation, rather than your post, I should of just quoted that one line. 

They look like they just saw 2g1c

muh specs 

All parts black

They look like they just saw 2g1c

Who ever made that decision at At&T, seem to have reenacted 2g1c

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Wait, you're saying you didn't have to before? I thought it was to change carriers, get new sim for like $10, it's how I use my unlocked phone out of the country.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Wait, you're saying you didn't have to before? I thought it was to change carriers, get new sim for like $10, it's how I use my unlocked phone out of the country.

As far as I understand, apple makes the sim cards. They are written through softwood on the phone. 

muh specs 

All parts black

but like i said, isnt the "Apple sim" virtual? I read the ipad air and mini 3 dont have sim slots, just apple sims

AT&T locked the reprogrammable feature of the apple sim effectively making it a CDMA device

This sh*t is confusing.. can anyone clarify?

apple did this http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/234208-apple-wants-to-kill-the-sim-card/

also, I FUCKING TOLD YOU GUYS, this isn't bs because of apple this is bs because carriers will exploit this to their benefits 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

AT&T locked the reprogrammable feature of the apple sim effectively making it a CDMA device

apple did this http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/234208-apple-wants-to-kill-the-sim-card/

also, I FUCKING TOLD YOU GUYS, this isn't bs because of apple this is bs because carriers will exploit this to their benefits

sooo how are you supposed to "buy a new sim"?

T-Mobile is doing the same. :/

That thread was inaccurate. The Apple SIM is physical.

sooo how are you supposed to "buy a new sim"?

that the point you can't because AT&T locked the devices but the original idea is that you can change carriers and lines on the settings menu

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

inaccurate?, i know you posted severals comment in there but i quote from it

a reprogrammable embedded to the device SIM

that pretty much says its hardware, if some people confused for software, well i guess i should have been more clear

oh, so its just like a universal sim and then the software just programs it for whatever carrier? makes a lot more sense now :3

that pretty much says its hardware, if some people confused for software, well i guess i should have been more clear

if its embedded how can you replace it?

Based on other sources, that statement was wrong all along. This makes since, given that the Apple SIM isn't supported by Verizon.

EDIT: From Apple's own page on the Air 2

The new Apple SIM is preinstalled on iPad Air 2 with Wi-Fi + Cellular models.

If it were embedded, I think they would just say "embedded."