why do i have 2 Program files folders?

sgtcool

on my windows disk i have 2 program files folders ,one is Program Files and Program Files (x86)

the 2nd one has all the files that the 1st one has , accept the programs i installed in the x86 (32 bit?) program files

is there any difference between (x86) Program files and Program Files?

or is it just a different name

These "Windows" files are also in Program Files (x86) with different stuff in them

(also "Common Files" , Realtek audio, etc.)

post-147319-0-37905800-1414179582.png

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

on my windows disk i have 2 program files folders ,one is Program Files and Program Files (x86)

the 2nd one has all the files that the 1st one has , accept the programs i installed in the x86 (32 bit?) program files

is there any difference between (x86) Program files and Program Files?

or is it just a different name

These "Windows" files are also in Program Files (x86) with different stuff in them

(also "Common Files" , Realtek audio, etc.)

one has the 32 bit programs

and the other has the 64 bit programs 

I'm guessing you have a 64 bit os, if you had a 32 bit os  You would only have the one

Atleast..I think that's it..

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Some apps can only run in 32bit mode (x86) and others support 64bit (x64).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

whoops failed quote

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

one has the 32 bit programs

and the other has the 64 bit programs 

I'm guessing you have a 64 bit os, if you had a 32 bit os  You would only have the one

Atleast..I think that's it..

One is your 32 bit programs, the other is your 64 bit programs. They are not the same.

Some apps can only run in 32bit mode (x86) and others support 64bit (x64).

so can i install 64 bit programs in there?

i have Battlefield 4 64 bit in that folder

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(x86) is the 32 bit programs folder. The other is 64 bit.

Usually they will have different programs in each one, but maybe not in your case. They are both necessary.

When you install programs they will automatically choose which is the correct folder for them to be installed in.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

so can i install 64 bit programs in there?

i have Battlefield 4 64 bit in that folder

When you install a program, it will automatically install in the appropriate folder (BF4 being x64 it will be installed in the program files (x64) folder or in the games folder).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

(x86) is the 32 bit programs folder. The other is 64 bit.

Usually they will have different programs in each one, but maybe not in your case. They are both necessary.

When you install programs they will automatically choose which is the correct folder for them to be installed in.

as i sad the "windows" programs have different files in (x86) and (64x) program files

i always have to change it for some games and programs, it wants to put them on SSD windows boot drive, so i put them on Hard drive ,also Program Files (x86)

When you install a program, it will automatically install in the appropriate folder (BF4 being x64 it will be installed in the program files (x64) folder or in the games folder).

well its installed in Program Files (x86) both 32-bit and 64-bit versions and also origin

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

i always have to change it for some games and programs, it wants to put them on SSD windows boot drive, so i put them on Hard drive ,also Program Files (x86)

You can change the default place where the programs install for both "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" using this guide. This just changes the location that setups are told to install in by default:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/how-do-you-change-the-default-installation/73450b25-d794-4f18-9add-75253b893343

as i sad the "windows" programs have different files in (x86) and (64x) program files

well its installed in Program Files (x86) both 32-bit and 64-bit versions and also origin

64 bit programs always install in "Program Files", and 32 bit programs install in "Program Files (x86)". When installing something with both 32 bit and 64 bit binaries it will most likely install it all in "Program Files (x86)". Notably all Steam games are installed under "SteamApps/Common" in "Program Files (x86)" suggesting that this doesn't prevent them running in 64 bit mode. Programs should still work perfectly regardless of where you install them.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

You can change the default place where the programs install for both "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" using this guide. This just changes the location that setups are told to install in by default:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/how-do-you-change-the-default-installation/73450b25-d794-4f18-9add-75253b893343

64 bit programs always install in "Program Files", and 32 bit programs install in "Program Files (x86)". When installing something with both 32 bit and 64 bit binaries it will most likely install it all in "Program Files (x86)". Notably all Steam games are installed under "SteamApps/Common" in "Program Files (x86)" suggesting that this doesn't prevent them running in 64 bit mode. Programs should still work perfectly regardless of where you install them.

well i dont mind changing the install folder everytime

theres no 64-bit Program Files in HDD , can i just make a folder called "Program Files" ?

if a 64-bit game is in 32-bit program files will it be limited to 4 Gb of RAM?

edit: any way to change the directory where steam installs games? i can only make a new directory in :C, the one now its in Program Files (x86) (for not slow loading 64 bit games)

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

theres no 64-bit Program Files in HDD , can i just make a folder called "Program Files" ?

Of course. Just change the install directory to that when you install (or in the registry).

if a 64-bit game is in 32-bit program files will it be limited to 4 Gb of RAM?

It shouldn't be, I haven't found this issue myself.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Of course. Just change the install directory to that when you install (or in the registry).

It shouldn't be, I haven't found this issue myself.

ok got it!

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

In general they are just names of folders. You can install any software anywhere. Just name of folder doesn't make it run in 32bit or 64bit mode. There's thing when software installs both versions in different folders. But those are really rare cases. The reason why both folders are created is because installers have set of default paths. Even if windows wouldn't create folder, software would since installer has it ready.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv