Need help choosing: From 760 to 970

Doughnutnator

Hi! I need an advice. I just sold my 760. So now I need a GPU. There's a local store that it's selling the G1 Gaming 970 for $406 (it's the last piece, and I live in Mexico so that's why it costs more tha $360-380)

I already talked to the guys in the store, so they're keeping the card for me. I should go with it or wait for AMD/Nvidia 20nm GPU's?

My specs

- i5 4570

- Cooler Master V550 80+ Gold

- Corsair Spec 02 case

I have to choose today, like in 2 hours. Thanks

Get the 970, even at that price it's worth it.

That price is actually cheaper than a R9 290 and only 20-30 more than some GTX 770's

Anyways my country kinda sucks in Taxes, but is weird to see high end cards that just got released at that price.

Go for it

I think AMD won't release groundbreaking cards

Well, I will get it it will be way better tha my actual 760.

The 970 can fry my PSU? I don't know if it's enough, also I want it for OC, but without hurting the card.

Well, I will get it it will be way better tha my actual 760.

The 970 can fry my PSU? I don't know if it's enough, also I want it for OC, but without hurting the card.

If your asking if your PSU is powerful enough then yes, your 550 watt PSU will be sufficient since the maxwell architecture is efficient and doesn't use that much power.

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

If your asking if your PSU is powerful enough then yes, your 550 watt PSU will be sufficient since the maxwell architecture is efficient and doesn't use that much power.

Excelent, so I can OC that card. I need help in something else. What I should do when I get the card? I just have to take apart the 760 and put the 970? I will have to reactivate Windows/reinstall drivers? I haven't installed the Nvidia driver that came out just 2 days ago, I should install it now with my 760?

I don't know about this, I can build a PC, install an OS and stuff but I never changed a GPU. Damn.

Excelent, so I can OC that card. I need help in something else. What I should do when I get the card? I just have to take apart the 760 and put the 970? I will have to reactivate Windows/reinstall drivers? I haven't installed the Nvidia driver that came out just 2 days ago, I should install it now with my 760?

I don't know about this, I can build a PC, install an OS and stuff but I never changed a GPU. Damn.

Download the latest GTX 970 Driver from the Geforce website. Turn the computer off. Remove the 760 and install the 970. Boot up the computer. Open up the 970 Driver EXE, use Custom Install then click the check box Clean Install. It will remove all previous drivers and install the new ones. 

There's not that much to it. First, download the drivers for your new 970 (but don't install them just yet). Then turn your pc off and replace the cards. Then power up the pc and install the new drivers. That should be it.

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

Go for it

I think AMD won't release groundbreaking cards

HBM memory :)

im personaly very excited about the new upcomming R9-300 series.

The rumoured specs look promissing

HBM memory :)

im personaly very excited about the new upcomming R9-300 series.

The rumoured specs look promissing

So I should wait? I don't know, the 970 is offering 780 like performance, with an extra GB of VRAM for 200-300 less than 780 (in my country)

So I should wait? I don't know, the 970 is offering 780 like performance, with an extra GB of VRAM for 200-300 less than 780 (in my country)

At this moment its simple, the GTX970 is the sweet spot card.

However, AMD R9-290 cards droped in price aswell allot.  atleast in the Netherlands.

The Sapphire 290 Vapor X droped €120,- up here.

But anyway, its hard to say if its worth to wait or not.

The thing is that i dont know wenn the new R9-300 series will come out so yeah.

If you have the money now, and you are not happy with your current GTX760 performance, then i would say grab a GTX970.

But if you still pleased with the GTX760 performance, then i would personaly wait.

i have a 7870GHz and i going to wait. :)

At this moment its simple, the GTX970 is the sweet spot card.

However, AMD R9-290 cards droped in price aswell allot.  atleast in the Netherlands.

The Sapphire 290 Vapor X droped €120,- up here.

But anyway, its hard to say if its worth to wait or not.

The thing is that i dont know wenn the new R9-300 series will come out so yeah.

If you have the money now, and you are not happy with your current GTX760 performance, then i would say grab a GTX970.

But if you still pleased with the GTX760 performance, then i would personaly wait.

i have a 7870GHz and i going to wait. :)

I'm not angry with my 760. The truth is that I got the chance to sell it, a friend paid me the same money that I paid for the card (I got it on a sale). I know Maxwell isn't a huge improvement, but I had a chance and I was in the "Take it or leave it" position. I got it, my 760 is so tiny of her "big sister":

316FF8402.jpg

DO IT!!! BUY IT!!!

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I'm not angry with my 760. The truth is that I got the chance to sell it, a friend paid me the same money that I paid for the card (I got it on a sale). I know Maxwell isn't a huge improvement, but I had a chance and I was in the "Take it or leave it" position. I got it, my 760 is so tiny of her "big sister":

316FF8402.jpg

if you can sell the current card, then yeah why not? :)

if you can sell the current card, then yeah why not? :)

I already sold it :P My friend gave me the money today. He just said "keep the card, I will tell when you will give it to me". The bad thing it's that I didn't got lucky in the silicon lottery. Without touching power I can reach 1500Mhz, but if I put 112% Power limit I can only add 30Mhz. I thought this cards could go 1550Mhz+, specially the G1. Anyways the backpate is nice, it was cheaper than the Strix, EVGA ACX (not the ACX 2.0, the blower crappy cooler one) and even cheaper than the stock PNY.

DO IT!!! BUY IT!!!

DID IT I LOVE DA BLUE LIGHT! Anyways i'm not hitting the super 1550Mhz speed, only 1500 without touching power, 1530 with 112% power limit. but I got a blue LED, that's nice, 10% moar power.

DID IT I LOVE DA BLUE LIGHT! Anyways i'm not hitting the super 1550Mhz speed, only 1500 without touching power, 1530 with 112% power limit. but I got a blue LED, that's nice, 10% moar power.

Bruh. I thought blue leds made it OVER 9000 TIMES FASTER

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I already sold it :P My friend gave me the money today. He just said "keep the card, I will tell when you will give it to me". The bad thing it's that I didn't got lucky in the silicon lottery. Without touching power I can reach 1500Mhz, but if I put 112% Power limit I can only add 30Mhz. I thought this cards could go 1550Mhz+, specially the G1. Anyways the backpate is nice, it was cheaper than the Strix, EVGA ACX (not the ACX 2.0, the blower crappy cooler one) and even cheaper than the stock PNY.

ah well, basicly 1530mhz is still nice in my opinnion.

some cards do overclock better, but you wont gain very much fps to be honnest.

Most cards will get unstable above 1600mhz anyway.

ah well, basicly 1530mhz is still nice in my opinnion.

some cards do overclock better, but you wont gain very much fps to be honnest.

Most cards will get unstable above 1600mhz anyway.

That's true, I just expected the G1 to be a beast in OCing. I haven't overvolted it yet, I think I will leave it at 1500Mhz to see how stable it is and maybe I'll overvolt later. I don't think 50-100Mhz more will get me alot of FPS.

Thank you for the help, now I don't have to worry about upgrades anymore. I think the 970 wil last some good time, I just hope that my i5 4570 doesn't get obsolete too soon.

I say go for the 970. It's not that much more than here. I wouldn't bother waiting for new gpus to come out or you will be waiting forever, wise words from a lot of people. Just spring for it and trust me you won't regret it.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

That's true, I just expected the G1 to be a beast in OCing. I haven't overvolted it yet, I think I will leave it at 1500Mhz to see how stable it is and maybe I'll overvolt later. I don't think 50-100Mhz more will get me alot of FPS.

Thank you for the help, now I don't have to worry about upgrades anymore. I think the 970 wil last some good time, I just hope that my i5 4570 doesn't get obsolete too soon.

that 4570 will last you for a while dont worry.

There arent realy any games that use more the 4 main threads.

Even those so called "multi threaded" games, dont run that much better on an i7 then on an i5.

The only game that realy bennefits from more threads is Watch dogs.